Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Do you really get 17 -22 mpg's?

70K views 109 replies 56 participants last post by  Jazer74 
#1 ·
I have run the trip computer on my X the past couple fill ups and it consistently says i am getting about 13-15mpg. i don't get this because i was under the impression that it would be more like 17-22. do any of you out there get better gas mileage and if so. Can you telll how to improve?

thanks

#2 ·
I get 18mpg with some highway. Its depends on how you drive. I assume you drive alot of stop and go miles. You just got to be easy with the throttle. Drive slower and leave more of a distance between you and other cars. Make sure your tires are properly inflated and maintenence is up to date.

#3 ·
It is all about where you drive and your personal driving habits.

While I have personally never seen a average over a tank as low as 13-15 mpg I know it can be done. Jackrabbit starts from stop lights. Excessive idling at stop lgihts. Too many speed changes. Approaching stop lights too fast.

In general low mileage is caused by too much foot into the throttle and/or a restricted driving environment that has only 35mph traffic zones and a lot of stop lights.

G

#4 ·
I long for 13-15 MPG!!!

Hi folks

I've had my X since late November '07. Most of my mileage (less than 1000!) has been very short runs to clients in the 1-5 mile range. So, no big surprises that I get lousy MPG... tho' I was NOT expecting 10-12!

So, asides from trying to get more highway miles is, not lead-footing it between lights, and not idling with the A/C on (in Houston we already need it!).. any other ideas on how to improve MPG?

russ

#5 ·
Lose weight in the car, keep a light foot, keep the tire pressure at 2 PSI above recommended, and run a light motor oil (5W-30, unless Acura has spec'd it for 5W-20 without my knowledge). With that kind of use, I would run no less than a full synthetic; 3-5000 mile intervals if you don't have the oil life monitor.

I get 19 MPG mixed driving in my '01. 23 MPG all highway at 60 mph.

#6 ·
From my experience (I'm no car expert)..
1. rpm is directly proportional to mpg. You have to play with the trip computer(TC) to understand your driving style vs. mpg. reset the TC, drive normal, look at the rpm and the TC when you accelerate from stop, drive at constant speed and when you approach any stops. I have found that if you let the rpm go higher than the 2.5x mark gas consumption gets high. That is true even if you are on the hway.

2. I am able to get 16 mpg city (95 % city and all 25 speed limit) by accelerating slowly, coasting to stops and timing stop lights to minimize stops. The biggest hit comes when you have to accelerate from a stop so you got to minimize that. I used to get 25-27 on hways but on my last trip I got 21.

3. Park in garage so you don't have to warm up the car during cold days, if any.

4. Don't keep your car running while you pick/drop kids or similar situations.

5. Inflated the tires to +3 than the recommended. I did see a 1 mpg drop with new Bridgestone Alenza tires.

6. If you have a second car that gives better mpg then use it. I do that when I have access to my second car.

7. For my MDX the fuel octane didn't make any diff in mpg and the same for type of oil. I go for the full synthetic for other reasons.

8. Replaced the old air filter which was really dirty but I didn't notice any mpg change.

After reading thru some articels on this forum I am giving my mdx the techron treatment to see if it makes any difference (currently my mdx is not accelerating smooth)

I believeing that just by following step 2 any car (not just the MDX) can get at least 40-50 miles more on a tankfull.

I very much doubt you will get 17 mpg in the city if it does not include some stretches of 35 speed limit. I should also add that by seeing the driving style of other MDX owners I sometimes wonder if its only my MDX that doesn't give the sticker mpg.

Sorry for the long email. I don't really get to contribute much on this forum :)

#8 ·
Depends a lot on where you live. I'm in a hilly/mountain area with colder winters. Not a good combo for MPG. I used to get 11-13 city, and my best ever (totally annoying everybody behind me) was 20 mpg. When I drove in a sporting way (the way the vehicle is marketed), mileage was terrible.

My MDX average was 15.5 in mixed city/hiway driving. Which is why I bought a hybrid.

#9 ·
Mine averages 16.7 since I bought it. I love the vehicle, don't care for the mileage and premium to boot. MDX goes away next Monday, I am going to the hybrid as well.........:D

#11 ·
My mileage in my 05 is about like Squishy's, 18-19 combined, and 23-24 on strictly interstate driving at 70-75 mph.

#13 ·
I got 21.6 over the weekend in the 08. All highway driving about 74 mph. I was quite impressed with the mileage. That was our first highway trip so it wil be interesting to see if this type of mileage continues.

#14 ·
I average 18-19 city driving and 22-24 highway. Most og my driving is city/suburban with a 9 mil one way commute. I usually am getting 18.5.....I don't do anything special. Actually, I probably drive it harder than I should....but I love the get-up-an-go!

#15 ·
Ideal Octane?

Hi again, folks

I'm still testing this observation, but:

I was getting an average of about 12 MPG (!) in my X. Very short trips, all inner city stuff - pretty ugly, no matter what.

I decided to try the intermediate octane (Chevron calls it Super, I think). From the same gas station. Same pump, ectually.

Suddenly my mileage seemed to "jump" to 14 MPG. Same daily use.

I live in Houston - pretty darn close to sea-level.

Is this just me being full of it, or is there something weird happening?

russ

#17 ·
I have a 04 MDX and get about 16MPG. I live in the hills so going home kills the millage.

I have to also point out my favorite tip from above....

FROM aruca

6. If you have a second car that gives better mpg then use it. I do that when I have access to my second car.

Why not also give the tip of... buy a Prius or walk?

#20 ·
Now that we have approx. 3000 miles on the car, I have a feel for what the averages will be. We get 17 - 18 in city driving (car pool, grocery store & back, etc). We just completed a 750 mile highway trip that averaged 22 mpg.

These averages are arrived at the old fashioned way .... dividing miles by gallon pumped into the car. They are better than promised by the dealer, to his credit.

I hope those of you experiencing the odd mileages are not simply taking the in-car computer's word for it. Those calculations are rough, at best.

#21 ·
We had a 2002 MDX that we loved (except for those cursed engine mounts). Wife was the primary driver. We drove it to 97K miles. Fuel efficiency seemed decent for a mid-size SUV. We traded it in for an '06 4 cyl Audi A4 Avant. Since then, we added a 3rd kid and now the A4 is a bit crowded. So we have started shopping for a replacement.

Wife really likes the '08 MDX model. But it seems when Acura bolstered the engine up to 300 hp for the new generation MDX, the fuel efficiency decreased. As I read through this thread, the distinction of fuel mileage is based on old model vs new model.

According to Edmunds, city driving dropped 2 mpg and hwy dropped 3 mpg when the new MDX came out. From what I'm reading in posts here, it seems some are getting even worse in the city than the expected 15 mpg. I realize driving habits play a role, but heck...my '07 V8 4Runner gets 17.5 mpg in the city. I woulda thought the new MDX would do better.

#22 ·
jediwebdude said:

Wife really likes the '08 MDX model. But it seems when Acura bolstered the engine up to 300 hp for the new generation MDX, the fuel efficiency decreased. As I read through this thread, the distinction of fuel mileage is based on old model vs new model.
I agree that the move to 300hp probably reduced mpg, but the gain in drivability is worth to me.

Notice in my post immediately above yours that I have a new car .... although I did not specify that its an 08. I am getting much better mileage than those who are complaining of 13-15 mpg. I'm getting better than Acura / dealer promised.

#23 ·
kims MDX said:

I agree that the move to 300hp probably reduced mpg, but the gain in drivability is worth to me.

Notice in my post immediately above yours that I have a new car .... although I did not specify that its an 08. I am getting much better mileage than those who are complaining of 13-15 mpg. I'm getting better than Acura / dealer promised.
I was typing my post when you submitted yours, so I saw it after I posted. You mpg is good news. Which octane level are you using?

#24 ·
jediwebdude said:
Your mpg is good news. Which octane level are you using?
I am using the specified minimum of 91 octane .... although its usually 93 that is available.

I read the many posts which take the position that lower octane fuel is fine, but my reasoning is that I paid $40k for the car, and I don't need to save $50 a month by ignoring the manufacturer's stated requirement. I knew when I bought the car that premium was required .... dealer made it clear.

My other car (Porsche) has the same requirement. Porsche even makes it clear that the DME will adjust to lower octane gas and prevent any knocking. However, I apply the same reasoning that I use in the MDX. I didn't spend all that money to sacrifice performance (or anything else) by scrimping on octane to save a few bucks.

There was a saying that was already old when I was a kid (looong ago) that went something like, "if you have to ask how much fuel a yacht uses, you can't afford it".

Kim

#25 ·
kims MDX said:
Now that we have approx. 3000 miles on the car, I have a feel for what the averages will be. We get 17 - 18 in city driving (car pool, grocery store & back, etc). We just completed a 750 mile highway trip that averaged 22 mpg.

These averages are arrived at the old fashioned way .... dividing miles by gallon pumped into the car. They are better than promised by the dealer, to his credit.

I hope those of you experiencing the odd mileages are not simply taking the in-car computer's word for it. Those calculations are rough, at best.
Funny thing about the in car calculator, on mine (and others that have posted here) , it is pretty accurate. I have calculated my mileage both ways, and find that they are about even

#26 ·
I have also compared the in dash computer to the "old fashion" method and found that the computer was almost an exact match to what I was getting. It may be a little off, but then again... if you are doing it the old fashion way... there is no real way for that to be accurate either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.