Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I only go as far as my driveway to do an oil change (DIY) but if I didn't do my own there's no way I'd drive 100 miles just to have an oil change done. The Honda dealer will be just as capable of doing the oil change as the Acura dealer. There's nothing special about it, it's very simple to do, and doesn't take much time to do.

You could also have about any independent mechanic do the oil change - just make certain they'll put in the manufacturer recommended oil, which really comes down to the weight, (I use Mobil 1 0W20).

I'd avoid using the kwikee lube type places. They're infamous for their incompetence in performing even simple oil changes - i.e. not changing the filter even though they say they did, using the wrong weight oil, not filling correctly, and having people they just hired off the street a week or two ago do the work, not necessarily actual trained mechanics. I'm not saying this happens to everyone but it happens often enough. Do some googling on the topic and see what I mean.

If you really want to make sure it's done right and are so inclined, do it yourself. It's quicker, cheaper, easy, and you'll know exactly what was done.

The tire rotation is also an easy DIY and something that can but just fine at Honda or almost anyplace else. Just write down the rotation pattern that was done (use the one in the owner manual) to make sure anyplace that rotates the tires sticks to the same pattern (so they don't 'undo' the prior rotation).

And when it comes time - replacing the engine and the cabin air filters are also quick and easy DIY items and things any mechanic can do.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I haven't had my 2014 to the dealer since about 8 years ago when there was a recall on a bolt. It's now well out of warranty and I'm sure Acura would not do warranty work this far after the warranty ended regardless of whether an SA is pulling for me or not.

For me it's just too much hassle and time to go to a dealer for routine things like oil changes and tire rotations which I can do myself in less time than taking it to a dealer and returning. Even though I'm retired now I can still manage to do this stuff just fine although I've always done my own maintenance since I first owned a car at 16.

But that's just me though. Different people have different scenarios, like perhaps no driveway or tools or experience, or physical issues, or they just don't want to do the tasks. I also may have gotten lucky with having no issues on my 2014 that I'd need someone to go to bat for me on but hopefully I'm not an outlier in that respect. There are lots of options for the service and we just pick what's right for us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts