Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A1 service notification is now lit. I’m debating whether to take the MDX to the local Honda Dealer which is less than 10 miles away, or to the Acura dealer which is almost 100 miles away.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
668 Posts
90 extra miles for an oil change would make the choice obvious to me.

I did notice when I get mailed ads for Maint services, at my local Honda dealer, you will see “Honda only” for the discount Price.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S
190 Posts
Well, do you have prior experience with the Honda dealer?
Are online reviews generally good for this dealer?

I am a sucker for online reviews and excellent service and I would drive further out to get the better service

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
The Acura and Honda have very similar powertrains (3.5L DI, 2.0T, transfer case, sh-awd, reactive/electronic dampers, 10AT). I wouldn't think there would be anything different about servicing the Acura at a Honda dealership? I would call and ask questions if I had something unique to Acura like a warranty issue with info-tainment, or the 3.5T Type-S engine/suspension/features, or the previous Gen Sport Hybrid system.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,186 Posts
Honda dealer. I have a relationship with our local Honda dealer since 2014 so I was taking my MDX there thinking I was the only one. I’ve seen a few other 3rd gens there and for the first time whenever I took my MDX there last time, I saw a 2nd gen in the service bay.

Also just make sure the prices are more than negligible to make you want to take the MDX to a Honda dealer. Sometimes, Acura may have the better price depending on service. And if its an electrical issue, you definitely have to take the MDX to an Acura dealer for those issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Acura and Honda have very similar powertrains (3.5L DI, 2.0T, transfer case, sh-awd, reactive/electronic dampers, 10AT). I wouldn't think there would be anything different about servicing the Acura at a Honda dealership? I would call and ask questions if I had something unique to Acura like a warranty issue with info-tainment, or the 3.5T Type-S engine/suspension/features, or the previous Gen Sport Hybrid system.
Correct.
Nearly all Honda and Acura engines and trannys are manufactured at the same factories.
And more importantly, the Honda and Acura Certified Techs at the dealerships are all trained at the same Honda Training Centers across the country. They probably get other training elsewhere, but as far as Honda/Acura certified training, it comes from the same training centers. NSX Certified Techs may be different though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My A1 service notification is now lit. I’m debating whether to take the MDX to the local Honda Dealer which is less than 10 miles away, or to the Acura dealer which is almost 100 miles away.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
As others have said, you own a Honda. It happens to have a badge that says Acura. Also you could just as easily get the oil changed at a Jiffy Lube or anything similar, as oil changes are not really a very complicated thing, so given your two options yes a Honda dealer is 100% capable of changing the oil in an Acura.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thoughts?
Thanks!
Does your Acura dealer provide a loaner while you're in for service? Even though it's only an hour or two, I also drive around 70+ miles and would prefer to grab lunch or run errands than sit at the dealership. BMW always provides me with a loaner, but I've never been in for service at Acura.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I only go as far as my driveway to do an oil change (DIY) but if I didn't do my own there's no way I'd drive 100 miles just to have an oil change done. The Honda dealer will be just as capable of doing the oil change as the Acura dealer. There's nothing special about it, it's very simple to do, and doesn't take much time to do.

You could also have about any independent mechanic do the oil change - just make certain they'll put in the manufacturer recommended oil, which really comes down to the weight, (I use Mobil 1 0W20).

I'd avoid using the kwikee lube type places. They're infamous for their incompetence in performing even simple oil changes - i.e. not changing the filter even though they say they did, using the wrong weight oil, not filling correctly, and having people they just hired off the street a week or two ago do the work, not necessarily actual trained mechanics. I'm not saying this happens to everyone but it happens often enough. Do some googling on the topic and see what I mean.

If you really want to make sure it's done right and are so inclined, do it yourself. It's quicker, cheaper, easy, and you'll know exactly what was done.

The tire rotation is also an easy DIY and something that can but just fine at Honda or almost anyplace else. Just write down the rotation pattern that was done (use the one in the owner manual) to make sure anyplace that rotates the tires sticks to the same pattern (so they don't 'undo' the prior rotation).

And when it comes time - replacing the engine and the cabin air filters are also quick and easy DIY items and things any mechanic can do.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I only go as far as my driveway to do an oil change (DIY) but if I didn't do my own there's no way I'd drive 100 miles just to have an oil change done. The Honda dealer will be just as capable of doing the oil change as the Acura dealer. There's nothing special about it, it's very simple to do, and doesn't take much time to do.

You could also have about any independent mechanic do the oil change - just make certain they'll put in the manufacturer recommended oil, which really comes down to the weight, (I use Mobil 1 0W20).

I'd avoid using the kwikee lube type places. They're infamous for their incompetence in performing even simple oil changes - i.e. not changing the filter even though they say they did, using the wrong weight oil, not filling correctly, and having people they just hired off the street a week or two ago do the work, not necessarily actual trained mechanics. I'm not saying this happens to everyone but it happens often enough. Do some googling on the topic and see what I mean.

If you really want to make sure it's done right and are so inclined, do it yourself. It's quicker, cheaper, easy, and you'll know exactly what was done.

The tire rotation is also an easy DIY and something that can but just fine at Honda or almost anyplace else. Just write down the rotation pattern that was done (use the one in the owner manual) to make sure anyplace that rotates the tires sticks to the same pattern (so they don't 'undo' the prior rotation).

And when it comes time - replacing the engine and the cabin air filters are also quick and easy DIY items and things any mechanic can do.

Totally agree with all the above

Surprised someone above bothers to get a loaner while getting a simple oil change.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Last time I got my oil changed, the dealer only took 35 minutes and that included washing the vehicle. Not worth getting a rental for me. The service department has a dedicated area just for fast oil changes.

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,644 Posts
Does your Acura dealer provide a loaner while you're in for service? Even though it's only an hour or two, I also drive around 70+ miles and would prefer to grab lunch or run errands than sit at the dealership. BMW always provides me with a loaner, but I've never been in for service at Acura.
As already noted, if you're only having an oil change, it's quick and you're better off waiting for it.

To answer your question, though, both the Acura dealers I use for service provide loaners during service. The only caveat is that it's best to make an appointment for your service if you want to get a loaner. Sometimes on short notice they can do the service but don't have a loaner available; you can find this out when you call to make the appointment, and they'll give you an appointment for which a loaner is available.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I still go to my local Acura dealership for services because they have a shuttle service. I've used it many times to drop me off and pick up at home or work for one day service. Makes it nice I don't have to plan routine service around the wife's schedule or ask a coworkers for a ride (I've given other coworkers rides when they service their vehicles).

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Honda dealer. I have a relationship with our local Honda dealer since 2014 so I was taking my MDX there thinking I was the only one. I’ve seen a few other 3rd gens there and for the first time whenever I took my MDX there last time, I saw a 2nd gen in the service bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’ve had a relationship with the dealer since you were 14? Did you tag along with your father?

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,186 Posts
You’ve had a relationship with the dealer since you were 14? Did you tag along with your father?
Yes sir! Always tagged along with him, ever since my dad bought the 05 Ody.

Reactions: nsxtasy
1 - 20 of 39 Posts