Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slightly off topic but I took an S2000 for a test drive when I picked up my X in August, and I just can't get the experience out of my head! I was grinning from ear to ear when we pulled back into the dealership. I have noticed that a few of the MDX owners here have S2000's and I want to know what you think of them. Have you had any problems? Likes or dislikes? would you buy one again? Thanks for any and all input. This will be a mid-life crisis car for me and I want to make the right decision.
Willie

2002 ss w/nav and touring

·
Registered
70 Posts
My S2000 sits beside my MDX in the garage. I had to have one the first week they came out, back in Sept of 1999. I don't drive it much, it has less than 6000 miles in three and a half years. When I do drive it, it's a blast. It's fast, handles great, and the 9000 RPM redline is fun.

The problem for me is my wife's not crazy about it, we can't take it anywhere as a family, it's not the most comfortable (very stiff ride) and although I'm 49 years old, I tend to drive it like I'm nineteen.

My twelve year daughter absolutely loves the car. She has told me if I sell the S2000 she will move in with the new buyer (maybe not a bad thing, just kidding). Right now I'm keeping the car to go on Sunday drives with her up Pacific Coast Highway through Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, etc. It's a beautiful drive (except for the speed traps).

To sum everything up, it's the best sports car value out there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joemdx,

Thanks for the reply! I am in the same situation as you. I am 48 and I guess you could say that I want to re-live my youth just one more time. Wife won't let me have a girlfriend , so I guess this is the next best thing. When I got done with the test drive the wife said she had'nt seen me smile that much in 3 years! I too am afraid of the tickets I might collect but I'm hoping my passport will save me. I don't plan to put much mileage on it either, but I just want something fun to drive once and a while. I just lost my Mom not too long ago and I need something to fun to get me out of my funk. Thanks again for your reply, and please send some of that CA weather to NJ. We sure could use it!
Willie

·
Registered
292 Posts
For you guys that have actually driven one: How is the low speed torque, really? The magazines all warn that it's gutless around town unless it's really wound up the rpm scale. Do you regard that as true, or is it just relatively weak around town, compared to its own behavior at high rpms? If driven like a "normal car" around town (like shifting at maybe 3000 rpm) what is the power like?

Also, I've heard indirect rumors that Honda is considering a coupe version. Anybody else heard that?

·
Registered
159 Posts
My S2000's were the most perfect weekend cars there were. They are also the perfect track cars. I have amazing stories from PIR. I took this one trainer out for a ride once, he was about 65 and had been racing cars for 50 years.. During the "performance" sessions, hed still take his cart out there and bang 150 MPOH on the straits. I took him around and he was absolutely amazed at the car.. he was talking like an 18 year old again. His exact comments were "I've gone around the track in all of these bmw's and such for years, this is the most amazing car I have been in for years". Me and another S2000 owner enjoyed going to the local Porsche auto crossing events where we usually placed 1st and 3rd in our class¡¦s ƒº

I also only put 5-8K miles on my S2000s a year and drove an 88 civic DX to work.

I don¡¦t think the S2000 is a very good daily driver, I hated driving it in bumper to bumped traffic.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dale MDX said:
For you guys that have actually driven one: How is the low speed torque, really? The magazines all warn that it's gutless around town unless it's really wound up the rpm scale. Do you regard that as true, or is it just relatively weak around town, compared to its own behavior at high rpms? If driven like a "normal car" around town (like shifting at maybe 3000 rpm) what is the power like?

Also, I've heard indirect rumors that Honda is considering a coupe version. Anybody else heard that?

Them all lies... In fact.. it has perfect torque for getting around town. I think people get confused and think having a butt load of torque helps out in normal driving... Driving an S2000 normally is like driving a Prelude around town. I don’t think anyone would say a Prelude is a poor daily driver. Only time the lack of torque is a factor is truly on straits on the track when your put up against V8's... but I always caught them on the corners.

It is true that the S2000 is either on or off.. there really is no mid range. In that aspect, I much prefer my TLs which allows me to have nice comfortable mid range acceleration off the line without having to bang gears.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You know, some people just don't know what they are saying. Zero low end torque down low. Get the hell outta here. That's bull. It has decent pull because of 3 things:

1. VTEC (the most elaborate/expensive kind)
2. It weighs a mere 2700 lbs
3. It has very short gearing. Gearing = TORQUE MULTIPLIER.

It does't have sufficient torque to move it from 0-60 in the low 5s or high 4s, like the heavier NSX easily can (224 lb-ft, big difference, and more top end too of course), but it's perfectly fine as a driver in the city. Why? 2 reasons:

1. It is *VERY* solid. The chassis is remarkable. This means that the suspension can do its job to the fullest -> absorb bumps. It's also why a Porsche Boxster is better than many far less sporty cars over rutted roads that I've tried

2. Ask anyone know owns one, the S2000 has THE best clutch and shifter feel ever. So, it's a charm to drive it manual. Unlike some other junk out there, clunky and all.

S2000 is a great value at 31K (or whatever it is now). Power operated top, way cool, and xenon lights, way cool too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My S2000 has plenty of low torque for me. Some people compare the S2000 to a car like the Corvette. If you like to stomp on the gas and smoke the tires, you should buy a Corvette. If you like more of the top down, shifting thru a 6 speed manual transmission, really getting the feel of the road, then you'd want the S2000.

The S2000 is an amazing, fun little car for the price. Every garage should have a MDX and a S2000 sitting beside each other. They really compliment each other.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Personally I think cars that make more top end than low end (well, a really fat and flat torque curve is best, ala E46 M3) are better. In the cities and highways we drive in these days, I like the idea that if I *really* wanna get going, I would have to wind it up, and it would be very enjoyable doing so (with a nice engine sound hopefully). This "touch the gas and at 500rpm you are thrown in your seat" is a cool feeling but it can get you in trouble, and usually these muscle cars have crap top-end. BOOORING. That's why I love Ferraris. The WAY they speed down the road is what's special.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts