Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you leave your rear climate control on all the time or shut it off when no one is in the back?

The reason I ask is because I shut mine off for the first time yesterday and immediately noticed that the noise of the fan was greatly reduced, which I liked. Mind you, it did take longer to get the whole interior decently warm.

I'm assuming that when the rear is on, the fan has to run faster to send air back there. I believe that the climate control in the 3rd gen is different than in my 1st gen - where the 1st gen had it's own dedicated system, the 3rd gen seems to do it all with the one front system.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I leave mine synced with the driver temp, unless I have back passengers...and yes, the 3rd gen is different than the first two, I believe...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I turn mine off when i have nobody back there or if the passengers don't want it on for the same reason op. It is drastically quieter without it. It's a single blower now for front and back combined.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
My parents have a 1st gen and I like the HVAC in my 3rd gen better. In the 1st gen the rear system reverts to "off" every time you get in the vehicle, and it's annoying to have to turn it on every time with passengers. With my 3rd gen it just does whatever it was last set to.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My parents have a 1st gen and I like the HVAC in my 3rd gen better. In the 1st gen the rear system reverts to "off" every time you get in the vehicle, and it's annoying to have to turn it on every time with passengers. With my 3rd gen it just does whatever it was last set to.
It reverts to automatic mode every time the vehicle is restarted (not off) and you have to turn on the 'rear manual' button to allow passengers in the rear to control it. But in automatic mode, the rear is going to be on and set to whatever you have the front temp set to, so as long as your rear passengers don't need it hotter or colder than you have the front set to, you don't actually have to turn the rear on every time.

What I do like in the first gen, though, is the rear has it's own fan, unlike the 3rd gen, which uses the front fan - so when the rear is on, the fan has to run faster (louder) to pump air to the back.

From 1st gen owner's manual - "Individual rear control settings are shut off when the ignition is turned off and return to the automatic settings. They must be reset when the ignition is turned on again."

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It reverts to automatic mode every time the vehicle is restarted (not off) and you have to turn on the 'rear manual' button to allow passengers in the rear to control it. But in automatic mode, the rear is going to be on and set to whatever you have the front temp set to, so as long as your rear passengers don't need it hotter or colder than you have the front set to, you don't actually have to turn the rear on
That is not how my parents MDX functions. The rear blower doesn’t work unless they activate the “rear air”... Every. Friggin’. Time. Annoying.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is not how my parents MDX functions. The rear blower doesn’t work unless they activate the “rear air”... Every. Friggin’. Time. Annoying.

Really..what year? Mine is a 2006. Maybe Acura saw the error of their ways and changed the logic in later years.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I leave mine off when no one is back there.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
really..what year? Mine is a 2006. Maybe acura saw the error of their ways and changed the logic in later years.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm..wonder if it's been defective since day one. Mine is a 2006 and definitely, the rear climate control is on when the front is on. The rear controls do nothing until I press the Rear Manual button.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Funny. I hate that my 2G MDX auto-turns on the rear AC every time I start it, Since there is no one in the back 99% of the times.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have it set for 70 on degrees and just leave it alone. The other day one of the kids turned it way up and when the front got up to temp and the fan slowed down (auto) the fan for the rear was on high... so I could hear a lot of fan noise. Thought something broke and took me a sec to figure out what was going on.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My 02 stays rear air on after shutting down and restarting..

And I wonder why Acura went cheap on the 3rd gen Rear HVAC? 2nd gen works perfectly too..

·
Registered
695 Posts
Funny. I hate that my 2G MDX auto-turns on the rear AC every time I start it, Since there is no one in the back 99% of the times.
It cools and heats the car much quicker that way...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
My 02 stays rear air on after shutting down and restarting..

And I wonder why Acura went cheap on the 3rd gen Rear HVAC? 2nd gen works perfectly too..
It’s all about weight. I’m sure the new system is lighter.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
It cools and heats the car much quicker that way...
The front is already putting out cold air for myself So I dont care about the rear..
The issue I have is that if I set the A/C to somewhere between 70s°F the rear AC does not put out the same temp as the fronts, Sometimes depending on the temp it even puts out Hot Air vs the Cool Air from the fronts.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The front is already putting out cold air for myself So I dont care about the rear..
The issue I have is that if I set the A/C to somewhere between 70s°F the rear AC does not put out the same temp as the fronts, Sometimes depending on the temp it even puts out Hot Air vs the Cool Air from the fronts.
This may sound silly but,you do know that the rear has its own control? So if the rear is set for 75 and the front is 72,the rear vents are going to be warmer.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The rear A/C is always in Sync.. My issue is that at 75°F the front A/C puts out cool air while the rear at the same 75°F puts out warmer air.
If you set the rear A/C to a lower temp (Say 69°F) than the front (Say 74°F) the Compressor will kick in sooner defeating the reason why I put 70s setting in the front. If I simply turn off the rear A/C the compressor just follows the front setting and avoid the compressor kicking in at shorter intervals saving precious MPGs in the City.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Yeah but in doing so it keeps the A/C engaged which is part of why I am putting the A/C in the 70s to avoid the Compressor from kicking in too often.
If you set the rear A/C to a lower temp (Say 69°F) than the front (Say 74°F) the Compresssor will kick in sooner defeating the reason why I put 70s setting in the front.
If I simply turn off the rear A/C the compressor just follows the front setting and avoid the compressor kicking in at shorter intervals saving precious MPGs in the City.
So just keep it off,like I do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts