Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the experience with the timing belt, is it a time (year) or mileage that wears out the belt. I have 98k in my 2011 mdx, would be ok to wait until it hits 105k before changing even though that might be another 1 year of driving?

·
Registered
651 Posts
7 years or 105,000 miles is the manufacturer recommendation, for my 2007.
I had mine done at 9 years and 81,000 miles.
I kept the old parts and could fold the belt without cracking it. I could have waited another year.

Mine is a low mileage mid-west vehicle, so I felt comfortable waiting, but if my vehicle was from an extreme climate known for heat (Southern AZ) or cold Chicago and North) I wouldn't have waited.

How do you feel about your zip code, would you rather live in 32118?

·
Registered
650 Posts
The advice is at around every 105k miles or every 7 years.

With that - My Accord V6 is 12 years old with 68k miles and I recently did the timing belt and all parts looked just as good as the new parts. I could have went to100k miles no problem. I am in NY so I get all seasons including the awful salt season that destroys our cars.

On my 2015 MDX I did the timing belt service at 105k and those too looked just as good as the new parts. But it’s really the tensioner that one has to worry about so going past 105 can be risky by I have known folks go to 150+ without changing it. I wouldn’t do that.

·
Registered
515 Posts
+1 for getting done soon if you live in a very hot climate and possibly waiting another year if more mild, but keep in mind a failed TB or associated component is a major blow to an interference engine. So, do you feel lucky punk? 😀

1 - 5 of 5 Posts