Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
When you shut down the engine That cylinder was in the Intake Stage so those valves are meant to be open so the cylinder gets air and fuel.

Pretty common Combustion Engine working right there.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you shut down the engine That cylinder was in the Intake Stage so those valves are meant to be open so the cylinder gets air and fuel.

Pretty common Combustion Engine working right there.

Thanks for quick response as always, skirmich!!! Back to work! Can I just adjust the front valve for now because it looks real pain to remove the back valve cover. My engine is warm to touc and lean on is that ok to adjust or check the valves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Stop right there..

1.- Never adjust the valves with the car hot or warm.. Must be STONE COLD.

2.- Adjust all the valves do not half-ass it... Makes no sense to replace 2 Intake Manifold gaskets.. The rear valve cover is hard to remove because of the wiring loom but it isn't any more difficult to adjust the valves there.

Take your time to remove the valve cover and leave the car to get cold.. Cover the intake runner tubes with a cloth YOU DONT WANT ANY CRAP GOING INTO THOSE TUBES.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stop right there..

1.- Never adjust the valves with the car hot or warm.. Must be STONE COLD.

2.- Adjust all the valves do not half-ass it... Makes no sense to replace 2 Intake Manifold gaskets.. The rear valve cover is hard to remove because of the wiring loom but it isn't any more difficult to adjust the valves there.

Take your time to remove the valve cover and leave the car to get cold.. Cover the intake runner tubes with a cloth YOU DONT WANT ANY CRAP GOING INTO THOSE TUBES.

How many hours, 3, 5 hours to let it get cold? How about do the from valves first and put back the cover and proceed to do the back?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I usually let it sit overnight before tackling the valve adjustment. Just get the manifold, spark plugs and valve covers out.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
There must be play on the exhaust valves when in TDC.. You cannot feel all the rockers at the same time as all cylinders arent at TDC at the same time.

Look through the the timing belt inspection hole and set the TDC to either 4, 5 or 6 to check for proper clearance... In any case if the car is warm do not adjust them! Just check for play with your hands.

If there isn´t any play on the exhaust valves then you definitely need adjustment. Intake Valves are often on the loose side.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Remember that metal expands with heat...
There is a reason why Honda specifies to check the clearance only when cold.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This valves adjustment took me 12 hours to finish!!!! Started 3pm finished 3am. What a PITA that was! Very nervous and fingers crossed to start the car after putting back everything together. One screw got out of my hand and dropped somewhere and I couldn't fine it and I got panic because it could had dropped inside the valve train. Took me 2 hour to find the damn screw because I want to make absolutely sure it is not dropped inside the valve train. Found it! It stuck between the alternator cable. Double, triple, quadruple checking the connection and bolts down. Started the car and not a single issue!! Tested drive and let the engine ran for 30 minutes and no oil leaks so far. However, I am a little disappointed that it doesn't fix the Ticking/knocking engine noise but I think it is somewhat just a little quieter, maybe. At least I didn't screwed or messed anything up especially this is my first time doing this. I don't want to do this again. The hardest part is taking the back cover off and adjusting the valves. Now I know how to do valve adjustment but i wouldn't want to do it again unless is absolutely necessary. Next is timing belt and I think this is easier and straight forward.

Thank a million Skirmich!!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will give it a few more days to see if any better or worse and my only concern if I will see any oil leaks because I reuse all the gaskets but right now is so far so good!! So this project does not cost me a penny but I spent 12 hours and no breaks!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, after driving 60 miles stop and go picking up riders I can definitely appreciate the valve adjustment. I don't get any more Ticking/knocking/flapping noises when accelerating from a stop. It is there but it is so low that you can't even hear it. Before the noise is so audible that was so bothering.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.