Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entertainment system will not recognize your iPhone via usb and iPod source. I much prefer this connection for music sound. The system would display "no data" on both screens. I've contacted Acura when it started not being recognized on 9.1 beta 3. They blamed it was b/c of beta version. Now 9.1 is released it still does not work. This occurs for iPhone 5/5c/5s/6. I have a iPhone 5 on iOS 9.1 beta 2 and it still works but subsequent beta or released 9.1 versions do not work.

Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Entertainment system will not recognize your iPhone via usb and iPod source. I much prefer this connection for music sound. The system would display "no data" on both screens. I've contacted Acura when it started not being recognized on 9.1 beta 3. They blamed it was b/c of beta version. Now 9.1 is released it still does not work. This occurs for iPhone 5/5c/5s/6. I have a iPhone 5 on iOS 9.1 beta 2 and it still works but subsequent beta or released 9.1 versions do not work.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks for the heads up....any reason you like USB vs bluetooth? I prefer bluetooth since I can use Waze and I don't get the phone call start stop sounds when Waze makes announcements.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds are not compressed and are fuller/richer...especially w/ bass =) My collection of music is mostly lossless (FLAC) variety but for the most part the experience "sounds" much better even on Spotify or Google Music. I use gmaps for the most part. Waze does provide more alerts which may be more obtrusive although I may only use it only on occasion. So when connect via USB/Ipod it is for music.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Since dealing with overheating iPhone 4 and 5s plugged into my other car's USB, I now refuse to plug my (new) iPhone 6s into the car via USB. It's dirty power (1A?) and isn't good for the phone.

Instead I use a 2.1A cigarette lighter charger.

I actually yanked out the cradle on my other car, since that made things even worse for my poor iPhone 4.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I haven't tried my iPhone 5 with the 9.1 update and USB yet but I will and will let you know if I see a problem. So far yours is the only post I've seen saying there's a problem - but someone has to be first.

Sounds are not compressed and are fuller/richer
Are you saying that using the BT compresses the data but the USB does not? This doesn't seem right to me - I'd expect that they're both the same - that they simply send the bit stream (which was already compressed when the music file was created or as part of the streaming to the iPhone from the source of Spotify, etc.) from the phone to the vehicle sound system. But maybe I'm wrong - I'm just looking at it logically.

Since dealing with overheating iPhone 4 and 5s plugged into my other car's USB, I now refuse to plug my (new) iPhone 6s into the car via USB.
I've never had an issue with using the USB in the MDX. I used it extensively for coast to coast trips streaming music the entire time - i.e. it was plugged into the USB actively streaming for 10 hours/day or so for multiple days in a row.

For around town I use only the BT since it's easier to use - I just throw the phone on the passenger seat or set it on the console and it the stream starts right up (except for Pandora sometimes which intermittently puts some stupid 'permission' box up that must be accepted).

My ears can't discern any difference at all between listening via BT versus USB. I'm not convinced there's an actual difference in quality between the two but I'm always willing to be educated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crw, just to confirm...you're connected via USB and selected IPod as your source? Device is recognized and plays music? I want to r/o it's not several of my iPhones from diff gen rather than Acura's issue with my mdx. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also no issues here with USB connection and playback functions on iPhone 6 / iOS 9.1 / 2014 MDX Base Model. If you have been using BETAs of iOS, I suggest you try backing up, erasing phone and putting a fresh copy on 9.1 on it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
After reading this thread I updated my iPhone 5C to 9.1 and just went out to the MDX and tried it on the 'iPod' setting with the USB - it works.

Next time you try it and see the 'no data' - try disconnecting the cable and connecting it again and see if that makes it take off. If that doesn't work go to the 'Music' app om the iphone and select something on it and see if that starts providing data to the MDX. I suppose you probably already tried these.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have a "fresh copy" of 9.1 on my 5s and no dice either.
OK to reconfirm others experience:

I just tried three phones: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6s (all AT&T models) with a genuine Apple cable, and then an AmazonBasics Lightning cable, plugged into my 2014 MDX (Tech + Ent) running Acura navi software 2.0.

Every single one worked perfectly in the iPod source. While my phone was 90+%, it charged phone, played music, and music search worked (very quickly to index the 6s and painful on the 5s). I also changed sources and went back, and also swapped around albums, artists, etc.

So could it be your car? cable?

I think the "DO NOT UPDATE..." title is a bit extreme and could cause others to panic...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Just to be more complete in my response as lindros2 was in his response - my test was on a 2014 Tech with the v2 software running (not the first version 1, and not the current version 3). The 2015 and up MDXs have a different version of software than the 2014.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I believe lindros is correct to ask about cable. I find that most iOS issues have to do with the cable because the pin positions are NOT the same in every cable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stang, how do you determine which software version is current in the mdx? I've been connected from day 1 using a "genuine" lightning cable that came with my 5 and currently 6. It's been working up until 9.1 beta 3 where it stopped. I took it to the dealer and they "isolated" to my beta version. They connected to one of they techs that had a 6 with iOS 8 and it worked fine. Thus I accepted that it may have been 9.1 beta. Then 9.1 released came out still no connectivity.

I have a 2014 advance.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
how do you determine which software version is current in the mdx?
- Press the 'Settings' button (lower right in the center stack)
- Select 'System Settings'
- Scroll down to 'System/Device Settings' and select it. The software version will be indicated.

If yours is still at v1.x, I'd take the MDX to the dealer and have them apply the latest software to it (v3.x) since there may be some incompatibility between v1 and IOS 9.1 but even if that's not the case, you're better off at the latest version.

Mine's still at v2 but eventually I'll have them update mine to v3 when I get around to having them do the seat belt fix and the A/C bolt fix. My MDX has been very reliable and I do my own oil changes so I just haven't gotten around to taking it to the dealer to do the recall/update work. My dealer was very good about applying the v2 update but I've read on this forum about some dealers giving some people hassles about applying updates, which is ridiculous. Just tell them they need to do it due to the random hangs on the Nav and also because of your current issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stang thank you! I'm on version 1.x, I'm hoping that's the culprit! Will schedule an update. They'll have to do it as I may put up a stink if they don't. Otherwise unless they have a resolution for me other than updating the software.

My '14 has been pretty flawless as well. I appreciate everyone's input to help isolate this issue. Can everyone who's posted so far state their MY and what system version y'all have?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ The software version is really one of the first things a tech should've checked and gone ahead and updated just on the off chance it might have been related to this issue you're having.

I hope that'll be the culprit for you. Let us know how it goes since if that turns out to be the issue I'm sure others will experience it as well. If it's not it, at least you will have had your system updated to the latest.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts