Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People!
Do not be lazy! You are doing yourself a huge disservice by just starting a new thread without researching previous posts!

There is a wealth of knowledge and opinions on this forum.
Just scroll through recent thread and you will see for yourself!

For example, just a few days ago, http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1071 thread discussed in detail 3rd row seating, etc.

While our Admin works on FAQ database, do some digging yourself!

·
Registered
497 Posts
vip9 said:
People!
Do not be lazy! You are doing yourself a huge disservice by just starting a new thread without researching previous posts!

There is a wealth of knowledge and opinions on this forum.
Just scroll through recent thread and you will see for yourself!

For example, just a few days ago, http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1071 thread discussed in detail 3rd row seating, etc.

While our Admin works on FAQ database, do some digging yourself!
Hallelujah and Amen.

Use the search function people - it works! We're starting to pollute the waters with dupe and triplicate threads.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Some people are new at this.

I didn't know what the hell was going on at first. Now I do. You can't blame them for that. Give'em a chance.
lmeans

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I Strongly Concur!!!

There are two new threads in the General Discussion Forum that compares the MDX to other vehicles! Clearly these threads belong in the Comparison Forum.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Also, used to be there was nothing older than 30 days that was useful. Now, all the old, good stuff is there.

When listing and researching a problem, look at everything. (like if somebody wants to rehash roof/ski/bike racks :)..)

Ard

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here's an idea

Yeah, I get annoyed too, but I think of all the times that wmquan has answered the same questions over and over again here and on the Edmund's forum (with the patience of a saint). We should be tolerant of the newbies, while doing what we can to prevent duplication of threads (which ends up making it harder to find the best source for information).

How about if there is a <b><i>Read Me First If You're New</b></i> link on the home page that instructs people who are new to the site about general etiquette and advises them about the search feature? Sure, there would still be people who jump straight to the forums and post the same damn things again, but it might enlighten some.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
We were all naive newbies once upon a time. It's nice that we've been able to learn from one another, and can also impart our signifant wisdom (wink wink) on folks new to the board. It's sometimes hard to remember how little we knew ("anyone try bodyside moldings yet?") and I kinda smile when I see a "youngin'" asking those same questions about stuff we take for granted.

Perhaps Daniel can either make the search feature more prominent or, better yet (as KK suggests) have an IF YOU'RE NEW welcome link suggesting/coaching on how to search the boards for info we've created over the past several months.

Of course, who's gonna know that we call "the thud" "the thud" ;)

I noticed one newbie this eve resurrected that boondoggle of an ML320 discussion from early in the month. I had hoped that one was dead and buried. It was a good day when that one stopped appearing on my 'search for new msgs' results.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yeah...we should set up a new thread called ... "ASK THE OLD FARTS...or old geezers...or wizards" blah blah blah... where all of us old feeble seniors can answer NEWBIE questions and/or point to the link...like a bunch of crochety librarians...or something. Kind of like an interactive Dewy Decimal System with attitude. SSSSHHhhhhh take all that racket someplace else!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Another forum I frequent uses the same BBS software, and they have this at the top of each page:

Please use the DUC SEARCH ENGINE to help reduce duplicate posts and find previous answers.
Thanks! And a big thank you to the more than 17,000 users that make this conference work!

DUC stands for Digidesign User Conference.

http://duc.digidesign.com/

Rail

·
Registered
387 Posts
Personally, I think we should start a new thread discussing "Wind Noise". Basically, I have done some research and discovered that if you stick your head through the moonroof, you will hear much more wind noise than with it closed. Be careful when doing your own research as you would not want to accidently hit the "close" button and strangle yourself. (I apologize to the newbies who have no clue what I'm talking about but like American Express says..that's the benefit of membership..)

Also, can we change DMOR's "title" to Senior MDXless Member?
(...just kidding... :D)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Rail said:
dancall wrote:

Did you replace your laptop? Buy a cargo cover?

How much did it cost to replace your window?

Regards.

Rail

I heard through the "MDX FILES" that the FedEx dude dropped the first window after "THE WIND" knocked it out of his hands. Trust no one. Meanwhile, his IBM Selectric II is still on backorder.

·
Registered
497 Posts
ASK THE OLD FARTS

DMor said:
Yeah...we should set up a new thread called ... "ASK THE OLD FARTS...or old geezers...or wizards" blah blah blah... where all of us old feeble seniors can answer NEWBIE questions and/or point to the link...like a bunch of crochety librarians...or something. Kind of like an interactive Dewy Decimal System with attitude. SSSSHHhhhhh take all that racket someplace else!

I would be willing to answer any question. I have done it all and seen it all, I just can't seem to remember any of it!

MB-

·
Registered
387 Posts
DMor said:
Rail said:
dancall wrote:

Did you replace your laptop? Buy a cargo cover?

How much did it cost to replace your window?

Regards.

Rail

I heard through the "MDX FILES" that the FedEx dude dropped the first window after "THE WIND" knocked it out of his hands. Trust no one. Meanwhile, his IBM Selectric II is still on backorder.

Yup. The window got dropped by the Fedex Man and the laptop is still in lala land but it's Due Tuesday. It's all about the wind..

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Question for Admin?

Perhaps Admin can consider topic consolidation like they do over at Edmund's Town Hall. Edmund's does not permit the duplication of threads. They will close a new redundant thread and consolidate the topic into the older established thread. They do this by closing a thread to new posts and providing a link to the established one.

I for one find navigating the site much easier by having a small number of threads. And I am not being rude or obnoxious in making this suggestion. I believe everyone will benefit from from this.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Good suggestion MSU but WE'LL decide if and when you're rude or obnoxious! (You're not allowed to decide that on your own!) :D :D

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
That is sooooo rude

Yea new (redundant) threads everywhere.

I just noticed a new "paint" thread that specifically asks about a 2002 paint option. I'm sure I'll be accused of being rude and mean spirited if I were to suggest that such a question could have been asked in the, now, several 2002 threads where that particular question has been discussed several times. So I won't do it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Re: That is sooooo rude

msu79gt82 said:
Yea new (redundant) threads everywhere.

I just noticed a new "paint" thread that specifically asks about a 2002 paint option. I'm sure I'll be accused of being rude and mean spirited if I were to suggest that such a question could have been asked in the, now, several 2002 threads where that particular question has been discussed several times. So I won't do it.
Problem is...searching for a word like 'paint' pulls up too many links. Even "2002 Paint" pulls up 14 links and no one will read through all the posts. At the same time, if you search something we could all use after "SEARCHING" this forum, such as PROZAC... then you only have TWO links to read. Err...well NOW three. :D

I have been directing traffic where possible and it's making me OLDER by the minute. Do we get a prize after 300 posts?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
13 Participants
xfactor
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing