Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a set of GoodYear WeatherReady Assurance tires last weekend for the wife's 2012 Tech and the road noise is unbearable. There's the sort of white noise "whoosh" that goes away if you're on brand new pavement vs older asphalt, but the droning sound... almost sounds like the General Altimax Arctic snow tires (non-studded) on my TSX when they were new - they mellowed out after the first winter.

With the GoodYears, the noise comes in different harmonic stages. It starts being perceivable at around 30mph, then gradually increases in pitch. At about 55-60mph, another harmonic kicks in with a low growl and increases in pitch the faster you go, though it's definitely got more of a growl than in the 30-55mph range. You definitely feel the growl in the car as well. Fuel economy went from 22-23 MPG on the highway to 19-20 MPG. We went on a 600 mile drive to and from Quebec this past weekend and I wanted to get rid of the car for the first time in the 3 years we've had it.

Previously we had a set of Michelin Premiere LTX (awful - got 35k miles out of tires that cost ~$250 apiece) which were buttery quiet and smooth though they had gotten louder over the past few months. Gas MPG was also good.

I'm also wondering if the "computerized alignment" we had done at the time of installation at Town Fair wasn't so great, but it drives fine. They offer a 30 day no questions asked return, but honestly I'm not sure what I'd even replace these with; a buddy of mine has gone through Michelins and Contis on his X5 at a similar rate to my Premier LTX experience, which isn't all that encouraging for the options at large.

Of course, I'm super paranoid that there's a drivetrain issue, as the odometer is at 95k miles and we've only got 5k left on the drivetrain warranty.

Happy times.

·
Registered
903 Posts
That's disappointing to hear. I've bought multiple sets of the previous generation Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's and been very happy with them. Yes, they aren't as quiet as others, but they wear like iron and are fabulous in snow and rain so I consider the trade offs. One suggestion I would have is Cooper. I've been happy with the Discoverer SRX's. Quiet, long lasting, and good all season traction. Had them on a 2016 Explorer mostly highway driving and they still had some life left at 70K.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's disappointing to hear. I've bought multiple sets of the previous generation Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's and been very happy with them. Yes, they aren't as quiet as others, but they wear like iron and are fabulous in snow and rain so I consider the trade offs. One suggestion I would have is Cooper. I've been happy with the Discoverer SRX's. Quiet, long lasting, and good all season traction. Had them on a 2016 Explorer mostly highway driving and they still had some life left at 70K.
That's the thinking I went with when we got them. Honestly, I'd probably mind a bit less if it was either MPG or road noise, but the combo of both is really giving me pause. I may be just getting used to the noise, but it does seem to be less loud with 1000 miles on them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I’m in the PNW so wet is my priority with decent snow traction necessary as well. I couldn’t be happier with my
Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus P255/55R18 109H
TireBuyer $766.08 ($735.96-$40+$70.12t)@9/17/17
$179.53 Alignment + $76.80 Total Installed

·
Registered
962 Posts
We ran into this situation a few times at the dealership. The only way to know for sure if it is the tires or something else is to swap with a set that currently runs quietly. We could usually tap the used car inventory for a set of same size tires, but you would probably have to find some private owner in your area who is willing to help you with a set to test.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We ran into this situation a few times at the dealership. The only way to know for sure if it is the tires or something else is to swap with a set that currently runs quietly. We could usually tap the used car inventory for a set of same size tires, but you would probably have to find some private owner in your area who is willing to help you with a set to test.
Yea, I might take them back to the tire shop and ask for a swap. Such a pain though. I’d Wondered if it was a wheel or diff bearing but the sound is always there regardless of turns etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If the noise wasn't there before you swapped out your tires, then it is probably your tires. You've described the noise in detail as coming from the tires, to include how it changes at various speeds and on different types of driving surfaces. It's probably your tires. Be glad you have a 30-day exchange period.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wife and I were driving to work this morning and she's increasingly convinced that the sound is actually coming from the rear-right specifically. I think I'll ride back there on the way home and see if I can pin it down. If true, it's more likely a bearing or something non-tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok... so after sitting in the middle row for 20-30 minutes, the growl sounds like it’s front-ish. I can definitely differentiate it from the engine noise more from the middle than the drivers seat. No Acura within 50 miles so off to Honda first to determine if it’s a warranty part, then drag it down to Acura. Ugggggggh.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It sounds like it's your Winter rated (3 mountain peaks + snow flake = Winter driving) tires or your alignment is causing a "toe" to grind, on the road.

Has anyone owned those Goodyear Weather Ready Assurance tires that can chime in with their experience?

Tirerack only has 1 long term review, with 38,000 miles. That owner says they are noisier now, than when new and they need replaced (at 38,000 miles).

FYI...I'm down to 6/32 on my Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus tires and they have been getting more and more noisy, over the past 4 months.

·
Registered
577 Posts
It does sound like a tire issue. One of the reviews on the Goodyear site also noted a droning sound.

If you want to change to another all-weather, Severe Service rated tire I recommend the Nokian WR line. They invented the concept more than a decade before anyone else entered the segment and are now on their 4th generation. (Nokian has been a leader in winter tires for a very long time.) Currently on the racks is the WR G3 SUV, and the WR G4 SUV is coming in early 2019. They are superb in all conditions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like it's a wheel bearing... let's see if that solves it. There's a definite road noise, but it is distinguishable from the real noise that's bugging me.

Unfortunately the closest Acura dealer is 2 hours away from home, so I'm getting it repaired at Honda and then will raise hell with Acura to get reimbursed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wheel Bearing replacement is not, unfortunately, an uncommon thing with our MDXs. However, fortunately, it is a pretty easy fix and you can just go ahead and change out the brake pads and, if needed, brake discs. I've done this 4 times now on two different 2007 MDXs - worked every time and doesn't take long (especially after the first one). If you want to try this yourself, take a look at the exploded diagram on an Acura Parts Site - it is very straightforward.

Here's my post from a couple of years ago on this - good luck - https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/119761-odd-noise-45mph-humming-buzz.html#post1162745

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wheel Bearing replacement is not, unfortunately, an uncommon thing with our MDXs. However, fortunately, it is a pretty easy fix and you can just go ahead and change out the brake pads and, if needed, brake discs. I've done this 4 times now on two different 2007 MDXs - worked every time and doesn't take long (especially after the first one). If you want to try this yourself, take a look at the exploded diagram on an Acura Parts Site - it is very straightforward.

Here's my post from a couple of years ago on this - good luck - https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/119761-odd-noise-45mph-humming-buzz.html#post1162745
Nice! Unfortunately I didn’t have time to tackle that project myself this weekend so I had the dealer do it and they gave me a fairly reasonable deal on the job. One new bearing later and the car is back to its wonderful self.

A bearing did get replaced under warranty 2 years ago now, but aside from being in the rear, I can’t remember which side. I’ll have to dig up my records to see if I have two new bearings in back or if the replacement failed early.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thanks for reporting back! Good to know it wasn't the tires as I intend for those WeatherReady's to be my next set based on previous experience with the GoodYear Assurance line.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for reporting back! Good to know it wasn't the tires as I intend for those WeatherReady's to be my next set based on previous experience with the GoodYear Assurance line.
So far so good, very curious how they'll do in deep winter. My fuel economy has still been suffering as of late, but I'm hoping that replacing my air filter and spark plugs will help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts