Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We own a 2002 4DR MDX that has approx. 120K miles on it and the transmission just gave out. The mechanic at the Acura Dealership told us that two clutch pads aren't working and that we need to replace the transmission. The quote to replace is approx. $3K (because we are such good customers, otherwise it would be in the $6K range !!).

So we are grappling with whether we should "buy" rather than "repair". We have had no significant mechanical problems with the car overall and weren't even contemplating buying a new car because we are so happy with it. If we replace the transmission, could we expect to be driving it for another six years, or would other things start to go wrong and the cost of future repair and maintenance militate towards buying a new one ??

We would appreciate anyone's input on these issues as we try and decide over the weekend.

Thanks in advance.

PC

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
It depends on your needs/wants. The replacement tranny will probably last another 100K. I assume you have replaced the timing belt and water pump. You would have had to do brakes and an exhaust eventually if you kept it and did not have tranny issues. It would be hard to find a well kept used vehicle for $3K and a new one will run you $40K+. I would have the motor mounts checked out if you choose repair - it would not be uncommon for those to be going at that mileage. Not that that would be an issue other than additional cost.

·
Registered
968 Posts
JL_SS really gave a good answer. Also check the tires on the MDX.

Add up all the items and see the cost to fix it. If the $$$ is too high, getting another vehicle and sell it w/o fixing it.

I had a co-worker of mines that fixed his SAAB over 120K miles also but at the end he dumped it and lost out over $4k.

·
Registered
496 Posts
We were in a similar situation and decided to buy, not new, but used. We went from a 2003 to a 2009 Acura Certified 16K miles for $37K.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well you can look at it like this. If you really love your MDX then why not fix it.

Dealer fees for a new or CPO 400-700
Tag Transfer Fees or new tag 175-300
Sales Tax $1800 to $2400 depending on your trade and state

Even if you keep it for another year you probably will get your money out of it. If you have spent the money maintaining it and you still enjoy it then investing in the repair is probably not a bad move. If you are ready to move on then fine a CPO from 26k to 33k or move on a new one from 42k and up.

Just my two cents. I have bought a lot of cars and trucks over the years and the transaction costs alone add up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
An MDX with about 200k mileage?

I own an MDX 2003 with a mileage of 170K. My repairman tells me that at some point I have to make a "decision". Actually, I am pretty happy with it. No major repair so far. Most of it due to travel to Southern California, Tahoe, Las Vegas and around bay area freeway. By reading in this forum I understand I have to replace transmission, timing belt etc. My question is does anyone own an MDX with that much mileage? If I spend about 5-6k, I would expect to drive till 250k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
3rd trany

I have an 01 with 270k km on its 3rd transmission. To refit the transmission cost me $1800 last year. But it was a tough call to make.
Cheers.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I own an MDX 2003 with a mileage of 170K. My repairman tells me that at some point I have to make a "decision". Actually, I am pretty happy with it. No major repair so far. Most of it due to travel to Southern California, Tahoe, Las Vegas and around bay area freeway. By reading in this forum I understand I have to replace transmission, timing belt etc.
Not true, on the transmission. The major problem with the MDX transmissions occurs with the 2001-2002 MDX. The transmission was completely redesigned for 2003. That doesn't mean you can't have a problem, but it's not very common with the 2003 and later, so there's no reason to think that you will have a problem if you're not experiencing any problems now.

As for the timing belt, that is part of routine scheduled maintenance. It's recommended to be replaced every 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. You probably had this done already, given your current mileage. Replacing the timing belt typically costs $700-900.

·
Registered
252 Posts
While I believe that the transmission was not commonly replaced on the 03, my 03 is on its 3rd! So I question the reliability...

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2003 MDX is at the dealer as we speak for a whine that cropped up after fluids were changed @ 105K miles. I have done the Motor mounts,timing belt, water pump, brakes and really want to keep it. The dealer says the 2003 did not have the same trans issues so I let them replace the front differential (they said it was the cause of the whine) Today they are still having the same problem and they think we may have a bad replacement part from Acura. I hope this is not leading to the Trans as I quizzed them about it from the start. To be continued.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My 2003 MDX is at the dealer as we speak for a whine that cropped up after fluids were changed @ 105K miles. I have done the Motor mounts,timing belt, water pump, brakes and really want to keep it. The dealer says the 2003 did not have the same trans issues so I let them replace the front differential (they said it was the cause of the whine) Today they are still having the same problem and they think we may have a bad replacement part from Acura. I hope this is not leading to the Trans as I quizzed them about it from the start. To be continued.
Steve,

If you don't mind, how much do they charge you for it? My understanding is that you pretty much have to remove the transmission and disassemble it almost completely in order to get to the front differential as it is buried deeply inside the case. If that's what they did, the cost would be almost the same as replacing the entire transmission with a rebuilt unit.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I assume they are taking care of the re-repair under warranty (the parts warranty on the replaced parts, and the dealer's warranty on the previous repair).

Please keep us posted. Good luck, hope they take good care of you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The price sounds great for a dealer replacement for that old of an MDX. But, if you do plan to sell it, the warranty on the new trans probably won't transfer, so it might be better to sell it without the repair and let the new owner have it fixed.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
The price sounds great for a dealer replacement for that old of an MDX. But, if you do plan to sell it, the warranty on the new trans probably won't transfer, so it might be better to sell it without the repair and let the new owner have it fixed.
You're talking about the original poster, who posted the price of repairing his transmission problem almost four years ago. I'm pretty sure he would have already made his decision quite a while ago. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts