Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for an MDX for quite some time, I think I finally found the right one :grin:, and I've learned a lot by browsing the 2nd Gen forum so a big Thanks to everyone for making this a great place to learn. As I said I've been browsing the buyers guide/buying advice threads for a while and I'm very close to placing a deposit on a pretty well maintained 2009. Today I stumbled across some old threads where a lot of people were saying their torque converters needed to be replaced and the ones not still under warranty were shelling out some big $$$. The MDX I'm interested in has miles in the 60's with one transmission fluid change on record. So like the title asks, are torque converter issues something I should be worried about or did the software update fix the issue?

Thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide.

·
Registered
896 Posts
IMO the TC isn't a high risk of occurring. Naturally forums like these draw people having problems so it tends to look lopsided. Make sure all updates are done (you can have them done free in most cases if not) and you should be good to go. The 2007-2009 years are among the most reliable for the MDX. One thing to watch for going forward is the trans fluid cooler that is internal to the radiator. They are known to fail causing the coolant and trans fluid to mix and taking out the trans. If I was buying one with 60K on it at 10 years old I'd probably plan on replacing it with the 100K service as a PM type of move.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought an 08 with 56K on it last June. I had some initial buyers remorse after reading about the TC issue. This was mostly due to having just sold an 04 Nissan Murano that had CVT problems. I was concerned that I had traded one car with a known history of transmission issues for another. Time and mileage has demonstrated that my TC concerns were unfounded.

The one thing I did do and would encourage you to either do yourself or have done for you purchase the vehicle is the 3 x 3 transmission fluid change unless the documentation shows that it was recently performed, and to also change the rear diff and transfer case fluids. Since I did the fluid changes myself, I made sure to put between 75-100 miles on the car between each of the 3 transmission drain and fill cycles. Judging by the color of the initial trans fluid drain and the absence of anything in the service records, I am fairly certain that the service had not previously been performed on my car. There was a noticeable before and after difference in the overall smoothness of the transmission after the fluid change.

My 08 is rapidly closing in on 70,000 miles. It uses no oil, and aside from having to replace a power steering pump that should have been done under a now expired recall, has been completely trouble free.

Good luck with the car. I've been driving for 48 years, and have owned a lot of different brands of vehicles over those years, but never a Honda or Acura until this MDX. It won't be my last. If something happened to this car, I would start looking for another MDX as a replacement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMO the TC isn't a high risk of occurring. Naturally forums like these draw people having problems so it tends to look lopsided. Make sure all updates are done (you can have them done free in most cases if not) and you should be good to go. The 2007-2009 years are among the most reliable for the MDX. One thing to watch for going forward is the trans fluid cooler that is internal to the radiator. They are known to fail causing the coolant and trans fluid to mix and taking out the trans. If I was buying one with 60K on it at 10 years old I'd probably plan on replacing it with the 100K service as a PM type of move.

Thanks for the info. I think the transmission software update and the power steering pump recall were both done on the same visit in 2013 but I'll check with my local dealer once I get it home as it's at an Acura dealer few states away. I don't drive much so it'll take a long time to get to 100k, I'll probably just replace the radiator in April at the 10 year mark and be done with it. I haven't researched replacing the radiator yet but I imagine that's something I can do in the garage with common hand tools.

I guess I just got a little freaked out after doing so much research on which one to buy, which is why I decided to stay away from the 2010 - 2013 models and the excessive oil burning issues, only to have the torque converter problems pop up at the 11th hour. Thanks again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought an 08 with 56K on it last June. I had some initial buyers remorse after reading about the TC issue. This was mostly due to having just sold an 04 Nissan Murano that had CVT problems. I was concerned that I had traded one car with a known history of transmission issues for another. Time and mileage has demonstrated that my TC concerns were unfounded.

The one thing I did do and would encourage you to either do yourself or have done for you purchase the vehicle is the 3 x 3 transmission fluid change unless the documentation shows that it was recently performed, and to also change the rear diff and transfer case fluids. Since I did the fluid changes myself, I made sure to put between 75-100 miles on the car between each of the 3 transmission drain and fill cycles. Judging by the color of the initial trans fluid drain and the absence of anything in the service records, I am fairly certain that the service had not previously been performed on my car. There was a noticeable before and after difference in the overall smoothness of the transmission after the fluid change.

My 08 is rapidly closing in on 70,000 miles. It uses no oil, and aside from having to replace a power steering pump that should have been done under a now expired recall, has been completely trouble free.

Good luck with the car. I've been driving for 48 years, and have owned a lot of different brands of vehicles over those years, but never a Honda or Acura until this MDX. It won't be my last. If something happened to this car, I would start looking for another MDX as a replacement.

Thanks for the reply. How often should the transfer case fluid be changed? The dealer just did a front and rear diff flush so that should be good for three years since I don't put many miles on car.

That's good about the MDX, I hope my experience is as good as yours. I always find my anxiety level rises when buying a used car because of the old adage, are you buying someone elses problems?

Your reply did help alleviate some concerns so thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The 2009 is a great year just maintain it with fully synthetic oils and you should be good! Most TQ converters stem from earlier models and are carried forward. In many case misdiagnosis is to blame and issues stem from dirty trans fuid, water in trans fluid from radiator issues(which you need not wory yourself about as 2009 had aux transmission cooler installed from factory!:) Trans pressure sensor which you can install had people panic their TQ was giving out as well as low trans fluid levels! The 2009 had the aux transmission cooler which holds an extra quart of oil which flows out making it a 3x4 fill not a 3x3 fill causing individuals to be a quart down from get go if they did not measure the amount coming out initially!

Biggest problems a/c relay, starter relay, main fuse relay that are all the same style and amps have a tendency to cause electrical draws and improper function of devices as they wear! Wise to have a couple spares in glove box 5 packs on Ebay for 20.00 to prevent being stranded and a simple fix! The HFL is the other obvious issue, simple disconnect it and forget about it. You usually fill the transfer case with the same synthetic fluid as the trans fluid but read your instruction manual! Make sure your rear differential is changed to with the proper sythetic. That i do every 3 years whether it needs it or not. Transfer case i do every 5 years although if already have synthetic oil in it your almost good for life of vehicle but every 5 years is more than adequate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2009 is a great year just maintain it with fully synthetic oils and you should be good! Most TQ converters stem from earlier models and are carried forward. In many case misdiagnosis is to blame and issues stem from dirty trans fuid, water in trans fluid from radiator issues(which you need not wory yourself about as 2009 had aux transmission cooler installed from factory!:) Trans pressure sensor which you can install had people panic their TQ was giving out as well as low trans fluid levels! The 2009 had the aux transmission cooler which holds an extra quart of oil which flows out making it a 3x4 fill not a 3x3 fill causing individuals to be a quart down from get go if they did not measure the amount coming out initially!

Biggest problems a/c relay, starter relay, main fuse relay that are all the same style and amps have a tendency to cause electrical draws and improper function of devices as they wear! Wise to have a couple spares in glove box 5 packs on Ebay for 20.00 to prevent being stranded and a simple fix! The HFL is the other obvious issue, simple disconnect it and forget about it. You usually fill the transfer case with the same synthetic fluid as the trans fluid but read your instruction manual! Make sure your rear differential is changed to with the proper sythetic. That i do every 3 years whether it needs it or not. Transfer case i do every 5 years although if already have synthetic oil in it your almost good for life of vehicle but every 5 years is more than adequate.

It's good to hear that 2009 is a reliable year to buy. I didn't know about the aux trans cooler so thanks for mentioning that. That's a good idea with keeping an extra set of relays in the glove box, I'll order some off Ebay if I can get this thing bought. I'm still waiting on the salesman to call back with the answers to a couple of questions. I'll have to change the transfer case fluid after I get it home as when I asked the dealer about it they said it was a sealed unit with lifetime fluid so I'm sure it's never been changed. :surprise:

Thanks for all the great info and taking the time to answer my questions.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good to hear that the salesman Knows "not" what he is talking about! Make sure it does not have the active damper shocks option as they are thousands to repair and replace! Seeing its 10 years old shocks if not already replaced will need replacing if regular shocks only 500.-600.00 in parts plus installation on top. You can go to regular shocks but it will run 1500.00 initially to convert things.

Now i keep getting confused on the 100,000 tune up? Hopefully others will chime in here? In Canada it is 100,000km tune up and in the U.S.A it is 100,000 Miles. 100000 miles is equivalent to 161000 km and 100000 Km is equivalent to 62000 miles. So what exactly is the correct mileage/Km for the major tune up? The same vehicle ......so why the difference in major tune up mileage requirement between the two?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear that the salesman Knows "not" what he is talking about!

Yeah, that's exactly why I spend countless hours researching before I even talk to a salesman. :wink:

It's not a Sport, just an MDX with the Tech package so I don't have to worry about the active suspension. That's another thing I was trying to avoid.
Do you think the shocks and struts will need to be replace based on time and not mileage? I know they haven't been replaced yet. When they need to be replace I can probably knock it out on a Saturday.

That is weird with a different tuneup interval for Canadian cars. Maybe they put you guys on the severe maintenance schedule up there because of the weather?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have yet to drive a 10 year old vehicle with original shocks that did not need to be replaced and yes not hard to change out at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My two cents- don’t overlook higher mileage well maintained MDX as well. Even if it has 200k. If it has higher miles usually some of that stuff(updates and other common problems) have already been fixed. Of course you run the risk of them not but in my experience the higher miles has better odds on that then lower mileage vehicles.
Something I learned from a service advisory I am friends with is that people that buy nicer cars tend to maintain them better then your average person going to and from work that doesn’t completely understand maintenance. Obviously some don’t have the understand that drive a lot but more do than don’t. The best part about the high mileage models is they are a lot cheaper.

Example my buddy bought a 05 MDX with 285k miles a year ago and now has 307k trouble free miles using it to tow a 1k lb trailer for most of those miles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the reply. How often should the transfer case fluid be changed? The dealer just did a front and rear diff flush so that should be good for three years since I don't put many miles on car.

That's good about the MDX, I hope my experience is as good as yours. I always find my anxiety level rises when buying a used car because of the old adage, are you buying someone elses problems?

Your reply did help alleviate some concerns so thanks for taking the time.
I believe the transfer fluid is supposed to be changed at the same time as the trans fluid, so 60k. I got a notification mine was due on the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe the transfer fluid is supposed to be changed at the same time as the trans fluid, so 60k. I got a notification mine was due on the maintenance minder.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the maintenance minder is pretty useful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well they sold the MDX I was interested in while I was waiting for the salesman to email me some pictures and answer some questions. :banghead: I guess the search goes on.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Are you sure the 2009 didn't have an internal trans cooler in the radiator? The reason I ask is I'm pretty sure having an external aux cooler is simply that, an aux cooler and the cooler that is inside the radiator is still there. My '07 has an external aux cooler AND the internal radiator cooler. Right before I bought it the infamous failure of the internal cooler occurred and toasted the trans, so I bought it knowing it had the new radiator and fresh rebuilt trans.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well they sold the MDX I was interested in while I was waiting for the salesman to email me some pictures and answer some questions. :banghead: I guess the search goes on.
Sorry to hear. You will find another one. Where are you located? It's not listed under your name.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you sure the 2009 didn't have an internal trans cooler in the radiator? The reason I ask is I'm pretty sure having an external aux cooler is simply that, an aux cooler and the cooler that is inside the radiator is still there. My '07 has an external aux cooler AND the internal radiator cooler. Right before I bought it the infamous failure of the internal cooler occurred and toasted the trans, so I bought it knowing it had the new radiator and fresh rebuilt trans.

When I was researching a different car a while back someone said the manufacturers run the trans through the radiator to help it warm up to operating temp quicker more so than as a cooler. That always kind of made sense to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry to hear. You will find another one. Where are you located? It's not listed under your name.

Thanks but it took me a long time to find this one so I might just move on to the backup. I've been looking for southern cars because everything around here is rusty which makes the search more difficult. I should probably update my profile to reflect IL.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts