Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I would love to see those results but I hope for your sanity, and your wallet, that Acura covers this one
Same... I only go to Acura for warranty work, soo, hopefully they will cover. And so far, Acura hasn't let me down on the warranty at all. I'm just surprized that the tech and SA said "theres nothing wrong". Well, I'm sure they were waiting for me to be out of warranty so they can charge me way tooooo much for those struts. I'm hoping they will replace both struts; if not, I'm looking at bags as my birthday treat!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Waiting on Honda dealer to get me a quote back for front struts if local Acura dealer not going to warranty them at all.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Welp back to square 1. Struts are dry as heck according to all the techs and master tech and the service manager at the dealership. Freaking steering wheel shaking again at highway speeds. Acura and Discount pointing fingers at each other. Original Acura SA told me that the 2020 MDX tech wheels won't fit on my 17 MDX Tech, so swapping mine with a new MDX won't work at all according to him. Honda SA said wheels need additional weights, but his schedule is packed so he can't check my MDX. Discount told me there is no bent rims on my car.

I really need help here!

·
Registered
195 Posts
has anyone verified there is NO runnout in your brake disk? That is using a jig and dial caliper to measure disk runnout on each disk, front and rear? I don't recall spec's but from what I can remember if runout is more than a few thousandths, especially if the MDX has fixed rather than floating calipers, you can get steering wheel shake and/or brake pedal pulsing. And also check wheel bearing adjustment and play.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
has anyone verified there is NO runnout in your brake disk? That is using a jig and dial caliper to measure disk runnout on each disk, front and rear? I don't recall spec's but from what I can remember if runout is more than a few thousandths, especially if the MDX has fixed rather than floating calipers, you can get steering wheel shake and/or brake pedal pulsing. And also check wheel bearing adjustment and play.
I might see if AutoNation Acura N Orlando might take a look at it, because everyone at Fountain Acura told me "nothing is literally wrong with my MDX". I am on the phone with Goodyear to see if they can warranty the tires and see if that can fix this issue. Acura corporate is aware that Fountain and Discount are pointing fingers at each other.

I cannot physically check anything at home as I clearly don't have a floor jack and jack stands (parents prohibit me from literally working on the cars, but I do get away with jobs that don't require a floor jack and jack stands).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welp back to square 1. Struts are dry as heck according to all the techs and master tech and the service manager at the dealership. Freaking steering wheel shaking again at highway speeds. Acura and Discount pointing fingers at each other. Original Acura SA told me that the 2020 MDX tech wheels won't fit on my 17 MDX Tech, so swapping mine with a new MDX won't work at all according to him. Honda SA said wheels need additional weights, but his schedule is packed so he can't check my MDX. Discount told me there is no bent rims on my car.

I really need help here!
You seriously need to stop going to that Acura dealer because the service advisor cannot keep BS from spewing from his mouth. First he said your dashcam was causing this problem and now he is saying a 2020 wheel wont fit on your car even though they are the same rims. It's clear they do not want to help you resolve this issue.

First thing to do is replace your rotors. You already know that they are warped and you already know they can cause the wheels to shake. Pointing fingers at Acura and DT without knowing with 100% certainty the shimmy is not a result of the rotors is irresponsible.

Next, rotate the tires front to rear. It is certainly possible that one of the wheels is still misbalanced, but it is extremely unlikely that two of your four brand-new, balanced, match-mounted tires are misbalanced. Moving both of the front wheels to the back will eliminate the steering wheel shimmy if one or both of the front tires were misbalanced (which I doubt they are). If the shimmy persists after moving tires front to back, then you know the tires are not the problem.

Next, get a 4 wheel alignment done at a shop other than DT, Honda, or Acura, and get a print out of the results as evidence the car is within specification.

If you verify the shimmy is not caused by the 1) the rotors, 2) the tires, 3) the alignment, then you can go complain to Acura about the suspension being the culprit.

Until you do these things, there's nothing else I can recommend.

Earlier you said you were going to go to Harbor Freight to get jack and jack stands so you can do the brake job, I don't know why your parent's stance on working on your car has changed since then, but it is what it is. I understand working under a lifted car is dangerous, but rotating tires and replacing rotors does not require you to be under the car at all. I'd suggest you go buy the tools you need to take care of your car properly so you can stop shelling out cash to shops every time you need something basic done. If you don't want to DIY that's understandable, but 16+ shop visits in a year is ridiculous.

Reactions: Pkrface

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
You seriously need to stop going to that Acura dealer because the service advisor cannot keep BS from spewing from his mouth. First he said your dashcam was causing this problem and now he is saying a 2020 wheel wont fit on your car even though they are the same rims. It's clear they do not want to help you resolve this issue.

First thing to do is replace your rotors. You already know that they are warped and you already know they can cause the wheels to shake. Pointing fingers at Acura and DT without knowing with 100% certainty the shimmy is not a result of the rotors is irresponsible.

Next, rotate the tires front to rear. It is certainly possible that one of the wheels is still misbalanced, but it is extremely unlikely that two of your four brand-new, balanced, match-mounted tires are misbalanced. Moving both of the front wheels to the back will eliminate the steering wheel shimmy if one or both of the front tires were misbalanced (which I doubt they are). If the shimmy persists after moving tires front to back, then you know the tires are not the problem.

Next, get a 4 wheel alignment done at a shop other than DT, Honda, or Acura, and get a print out of the results as evidence the car is within specification.

If you verify the shimmy is not caused by the 1) the rotors, 2) the tires, 3) the alignment, then you can go complain to Acura about the suspension being the culprit.

Until you do these things, there's nothing else I can recommend.

Earlier you said you were going to go to Harbor Freight to get jack and jack stands so you can do the brake job, I don't know why your parent's stance on working on your car has changed since then, but it is what it is. I understand working under a lifted car is dangerous, but rotating tires and replacing rotors does not require you to be under the car at all. I'd suggest you go buy the tools you need to take care of your car properly so you can stop shelling out cash to shops every time you need something basic done. If you don't want to DIY that's understandable, but 16+ shop visits in a year is ridiculous.
Their stance hasn't changed since I started driving (got my learners in mid-2016). Their logic is let people that does the job regularly do it. And my mom literally dislikes indie mechs due to our 99 Accord being serviced at one. My father on the other hand, doesn't want to spend money on repairs monthly, so he wants it done every quarter, and calls the bluff that the brake rotors as warped (he doesn't bother to gain knowledge about cars). I did some calculation, ordering the Centric rotors with the akebono pads costs less than half of what dealers are asking for resurfacing rotors and new pads (still waiting on Honda dealer for a quote for new rotors + new pads). Autonation did gave me a quote that's way below my Honda dealer and the scummy Acura dealer ($100 cheaper than Fountain).

Yes 16+ times is ridiculous, and I am already wishing my MDX hits 50k miles, so I can start DIYing (going against parents wishes) and stop having dealers work on my car. I did post on scotty kilmer's forum too and I've mentioned about the warped rotors, and sounds like they skipped that part and directly asked if the vehicle/wheels were aligned or to check for any play. They also mentioned checking the steering dampener. I am currently waiting a friend of mine who worked as an SA at Miami Acura to land a position back in an Acura dealer, since she was also been helping me during this fiasco.

I did got the case(s) escaladed both on Goodyear and Acura. Also, this is a different dealer that didn't made that hilarious justification; but its the same dealer that I always question on their work (they don't give paper work). The tire guy, said he is going to literally check my tires and car tomorrow, as I did also asked him if the warped rotors would cause this issue.

Something to note here. Fountain Acura doesn't want to give me any type of report or documentation or paperwork that states my MDX is in perfect shape. The person who I talked over at AutoNation Acura was really pissed that Fountain Acura wasn't helping at all, and also was surprised that DT didn't gave me any printout data detailing the specifics of the road force balancing. I did call DT later in the afternoon and they confirmed that their Hunter machines don't have any printers connected or store any data relating the balancing. The tire guy I'm also talking with doesn't have an alignment rack yet, otherwise I'd have him do an alignment if it is required.

Speaking of money, I spent $0.00 for all these services; Acura dealer ate a huge cost of this, DT literally offers Free Tire rotations and balancing. And looks like Goodyear might also eat the cost of tires if AutoNation Acura confirms that my MDX is mechanically sound. I do have to cough up ~$66 for a road force balancing since they are willing to help me out to find the root cause of this issue.

In terms of rotation, I already had DT to rotate the tires (they were shocked when I asked them rotate, but in all fairness and understood that local Acura dealer wouldn't do anything if I didn't rotate them).

·
Registered
36 Posts
For what it's worth, the dealer resurfaced the rotor, replaced left front wheel bearing.....my "shake / noise" was not as bad though. All replaced under AcuraCare...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just had the tire guy inspect the tires, rebalance and rotated the front tires. Steering wheel still shakes. Not sure if the brake caliper with 1 finger gap between it and the rims have any issue. This makes the rebalancing to 4th time. Now, time for AutoNation to figure what the heck is going on. Tire guy also said the struts aren't leaking and said that someone cleaned the dusty portion off.

He did said something is causing the tires and wheels to go out of balance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same... I only go to Acura for warranty work, soo, hopefully they will cover. And so far, Acura hasn't let me down on the warranty at all. I'm just surprized that the tech and SA said "theres nothing wrong". Well, I'm sure they were waiting for me to be out of warranty so they can charge me way tooooo much for those struts. I'm hoping they will replace both struts; if not, I'm looking at bags as my birthday treat!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You should check your stabilizer links, control arms, sway bar link, rotors

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
You should check your stabilizer links, control arms, sway bar link, rotors
I was told by like a million people that rotors don't cause this issue I am having. Ironically my tire guy said to check my entire suspension.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
AutoNation just did the road force balance and sure thing it started to show up again! Although they said my MDX is completely fine, and it doesn't have warped rotors. Discount Tires and Goodyear is now proceeding on warrantying the tires.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts