Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
No, warped rotors will not cause a misbalance, but they can produce a shimmy. The wheels are off the car for the balancing, so the rotors are not part of the equation, but throw the wheels back onto the car and now the rotors are. I have to say though, even badly warped rotors should have a virtually indistinguishable impact. You'd have a much greater chance of noticing a bad CV joint/axle. A motor mount or transmission vibration can be mistaken for a balance issue as well. That said, if you didn't have the issue before the new tires then it would take a huge coincidence for the problem to pop up right after and not be directly related to the tires. One other challenge of course is the heightened senses that occur after knowing a change was made and something that was there before, but you didn't notice, is now noticeable because you are hyper sensitive.
very mildly warped rotors normally won't be noticed or cause a shimmy. But if it is more than mild, often will cause a shimmy at higher speeds, especially on the front axle. However a few caveats. Fixed calipers are much more sensitive to the effects of warp, the rotor moves back and forth against a fixed caliper so warp is often more noticeable. With a floating caliper, the caliper can move with the rotor and not be as noticeable. I don't know if the MDX has fixed or floating rotors. Sometimes vehicles are a mix, fixed on one axle, floating on the other.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I need to take a statement back for the excess vibrations. I felt it again while driving, and of course, Acura says its the tires. Not sue what is causing this excessive vibrations that can be felt through the pedals.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just had a set of Hankook AT tires balanced for the 4th time at Discount tire, they ended up taking one wheel off rotating it 180degrees and remounted it. Finally fixed the shaking. I probably won't by Hankook tires again...probably (they are cheap though). They are on my sons Nissan Frontier.

*Note the bad balanced Hankook tire took 4oz of weight to balance and after they rotated the tire and rebalanced it took 1oz of wt. to balance.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am about down to one manufacturer of tires now for my more expensive vehicles... Mich they seem to take the least to balance and last about the same. Mich runs it tires through more test for quality and balancing before they sell them. BFG which Mich owns now used to do but now they don't and they are imbalanced from the factory, i'm not saying they can't be balanced they just take more correction. Also for Conti and Bridgestone they don't run as many tests as Mich so the are in need of more balancing also.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am back to square one. Steering wheel was starting to shake again (not surprised, but at usual 65 MPH). Now I am unsure what's causing one of the tires to be misbalanced. Should I have Honda rebalance it and find out what the heck is going on?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I am back to square one. Steering wheel was starting to shake again (not surprised, but at usual 65 MPH). Now I am unsure what's causing one of the tires to be misbalanced. Should I have Honda rebalance it and find out what the heck is going on?
So far all balancing has been done at the same shop with the same balancing machine, right? If so then having another shop do it might fix an issue like a poorly calibrated machine. Should that be a car dealer? IMO only if you have reason to believe the quality of work there is top notch and capable of determining if DT is avoiding warrantying a tire or something of that nature. If there is another highly respected shop in the area then that would be an option also, You also do not mention whether or not you have requested a "match mount".

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So far all balancing has been done at the same shop with the same balancing machine, right? If so then having another shop do it might fix an issue like a poorly calibrated machine. Should that be a car dealer? IMO only if you have reason to believe the quality of work there is top notch and capable of determining if DT is avoiding warrantying a tire or something of that nature. If there is another highly respected shop in the area then that would be an option also, You also do not mention whether or not you have requested a "match mount".
I've never had any issues with Honda balacing my tires.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got a quote from Acura to do service Code 1, and they asking $44.95 (way too expensive for said service). Now I am waiting on Honda to give me a call back to see what's the issue. A kind lady over at Acura did say that warped rotors would cause my tires to out of balance.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've never had any issues with Honda balacing my tires.

Got a quote from Acura to do service Code 1, and they asking $44.95 (way too expensive for said service). Now I am waiting on Honda to give me a call back to see what's the issue. A kind lady over at Acura did say that warped rotors would cause my tires to out of balance.
Since you know the rotors are badly warped, and I agree that warped rotors can produce a "shimmy" that may feel like a balance issue depending on your interpretation of that then fixing that may make sense rather than continuing to chase the balance issue when you are aware of this possible issue. Caliper slide pins that are dry and stuck can contribute to rotor/brake issues as well.

You also have never answered the question of "match mounting". Have you asked for that and do you feel reasonably sure it was done?

I'm all about helping people here if I can, and I am far from being the ultimate car guru, but if a suggestion is made and ignored or not even addressed with the shop then what's the point? Best of luck sorting out your issue.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Since you know the rotors are badly warped, and I agree that warped rotors can produce a "shimmy" that may feel like a balance issue depending on your interpretation of that then fixing that may make sense rather than continuing to chase the balance issue when you are aware of this possible issue. Caliper slide pins that are dry and stuck can contribute to rotor/brake issues as well.

You also have never answered the question of "match mounting". Have you asked for that and do you feel reasonably sure it was done?

I'm all about helping people here if I can, and I am far from being the ultimate car guru, but if a suggestion is made and ignored or not even addressed with the shop then what's the point? Best of luck sorting out your issue.
My apologize sir, I just got off the phone with the store manager of Discount Tires. He said they did everything possible, even the match mounting, and they deemed its not the tires. The store manager even told me red flags were popping up in his head when they were trying to fix this issue, and he told me to get Acura involved.

From the looks of it, I am not sure what is causing this.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Do you have a bent rim?

·
Registered
195 Posts
On another car I had a shimmy/shake that would appear around 55mph or so and go away above or below that speed. Showed up about the time my tires were due for replacement, new tires different brand, same problem. Problem turned out to be suspension related with worn control arm bushings. Now that car had over 100K miles on it at the time.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Do you have a bent rim?
Nope.

On another car I had a shimmy/shake that would appear around 55mph or so and go away above or below that speed. Showed up about the time my tires were due for replacement, new tires different brand, same problem. Problem turned out to be suspension related with worn control arm bushings. Now that car had over 100K miles on it at the time.
That's what I am thinking, could be the bushing near the brakes... Not sure what its called though. Will post a picture soon.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My apologize sir, I just got off the phone with the store manager of Discount Tires. He said they did everything possible, even the match mounting, and they deemed its not the tires. The store manager even told me red flags were popping up in his head when they were trying to fix this issue, and he told me to get Acura involved.

From the looks of it, I am not sure what is causing this.
Tough call. My MDX had a vibration when I bought it that I assumed I could cure with a tire balance. I've also done everything to eliminate it. The tires, off-brand all-seasons, were practically new when I bought the car and though I wouldn't have picked them if I were spending my money I am inclined to get the use out of them. The issue is substantially less when one set of wheels/tires is on the rear vs the front, so I believe it is either tires or wheels which brings one more suggestion. Rotate the tires and see if that changes anything. If nothing changes then likely something else going on, but if it does you can focus on the 2 tires that you just moved to the rear.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Tough call. My MDX had a vibration when I bought it that I assumed I could cure with a tire balance. I've also done everything to eliminate it. The tires, off-brand all-seasons, were practically new when I bought the car and though I wouldn't have picked them if I were spending my money I am inclined to get the use out of them. The issue is substantially less when one set of wheels/tires is on the rear vs the front, so I believe it is either tires or wheels which brings one more suggestion. Rotate the tires and see if that changes anything. If nothing changes then likely something else going on, but if it does you can focus on the 2 tires that you just moved to the rear.
Going to get them rotated pretty soon today.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well, I got front driver and passenger struts leaking. Driver's side is worse than the passenger side. Same lady who I spoke to at Acura asked me where the heck I found out that my struts are leaking. Would Acura cover these struts under the 4yr/50k mile warranty?

I'm going to post the pictures to it soon.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Struts are typically a wear item so I'm not sure they are covered by warranty. You'll need to ask Acura.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Struts are typically a wear item so I'm not sure they are covered by warranty. You'll need to ask Acura.
If not, I'm probably gonna throw my warranty away and put on air bags. Talked to few buddies and they literally told me mine might be the 3rd MDX (3rd gen) being bagged in Florida if I go that route.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If not, I'm probably gonna throw my warranty away and put on air bags. Talked to few buddies and they literally told me mine might be the 3rd MDX (3rd gen) being bagged in Florida if I go that route.

I would love to see those results but I hope for your sanity, and your wallet, that Acura covers this one

21 - 40 of 52 Posts