Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving back home this morning, my steering wheel was shaking again, again at 55MPH. I saw and know that the higher ups at DT rebalanced my tires before, but is it possible that my tires need to be balanced again? or is it something else causing this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
First thing I do is check the lug nuts and make certain they're properly torqued. To answer the question, yes it's "possible" you need a rebalance and yes it could be some other issue. I'd go with balance after lug nuts. Then it's thorough inspection of suspension components and hub bearings. Checking balance would also identify bent rim(s).

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
601 Posts
Are these new tires?
Brand?
Its not totally out of the realm of reality for a tire to shift a belt, or otherwise be damaged to the point that a tire cannot be blaanced properly. Its also totally possible that weights fell off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is this more noticeable when applying the brakes? Rotor runout can also cause vibrations.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I did not go re-read previous threads, but have the tires been "match mounted" and road force balanced? If not that needs to happen. Match mounting is where they rotate the tire on the rim to the most weight neutral position which means they find the heaviest spot on the tire and the heaviest spot on the rim and make sure they are 180 degrees across from each other. In that process they will also figure out whether or not there is a defective tire in play.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had them do a rebalance of the tires, however, I was able to look at the suspension components of each side. The fronts, especially the driver side has alot of surface rust. I saw each rim and they aren't bent or damaged.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just had them do a rebalance of the tires, however, I was able to look at the suspension components of each side. The fronts, especially the driver side has alot of surface rust. I saw each rim and they aren't bent or damaged.
Were they able to tell you which one was out of balance the most??

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't sound normal to me, 3 times tire balance, did you check the rotors too?
I know my rotors are extremely warped and ones currently on the MDX got rust all over them. And I'm actually waiting for Harbor Freight to put deals on the tools (jack and jack stands) so I can DIY the brake job.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I know my rotors are extremely warped and ones currently on the MDX got rust all over them. And I'm actually waiting for Harbor Freight to put deals on the tools (jack and jack stands) so I can DIY the brake job.
Last time in the shop, I was able to watch the mechanic performing the tire balancing, it was -15, 30, he made it to 0,0, which was the major reason causing the steering wheel to shake at high speed. Also, they suggest, if the balancing didn't fix the shake, they can swap both front tires to the back, to eliminate the causes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rebalancing actually fixed the excessive vibrations that I was getting from the pedals and footwell area. Looks like the previous balancing wasn't done correctly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
wonder if you lost a balance weight? Did they use clip on or tape on weights? or a combo of tape on near the outside of the wheel and clip on on the inside of the rim? it's pretty uncommon but does happen that weights can come off. tape on can come off if not taped to a clean surface, clip on can come off if not crimped well.

In all my years driving 50ish and over 1,000,000 miles total I have had one, maybe two occasion(s) I can remember where weights came off.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The rebalancing actually fixed the excessive vibrations that I was getting from the pedals and footwell area. Looks like the previous balancing wasn't done correctly.
Good deal! That can result from a poorly calibrated machine, a sloppy tech, or a combo of both. Since spending time in the biz I now use several strategies to increase my odds of getting it right the first time through. First I try to schedule the install when the tire shop says they are not busy, so I have less of a chance that there are 5 installs backed up for the balance machine(s). It's really hard to get them to take their time when the lobby is full and time is short. Second, I ask for a "match mount" up front. That takes a little longer, again hard to get when the shop is really busy. Every wheel and every tire has a "heavy" point and rotating the tire on the rim to the most neutral position helps or sometimes even moving a tire from one rim to another to get a better "match" is helpful assuming that both are within acceptable specs to not be deemed defective. Lastly Road Force balancing. If the shop doesn't have the capability I go to one with the machine.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good deal! That can result from a poorly calibrated machine, a sloppy tech, or a combo of both. Since spending time in the biz I now use several strategies to increase my odds of getting it right the first time through. First I try to schedule the install when the tire shop says they are not busy, so I have less of a chance that there are 5 installs backed up for the balance machine(s). It's really hard to get them to take their time when the lobby is full and time is short. Second, I ask for a "match mount" up front. That takes a little longer, again hard to get when the shop is really busy. Every wheel and every tire has a "heavy" point and rotating the tire on the rim to the most neutral position helps or sometimes even moving a tire from one rim to another to get a better "match" is helpful assuming that both are within acceptable specs to not be deemed defective. Lastly Road Force balancing. If the shop doesn't have the capability I go to one with the machine.
Last time when they rebalanced the tires, the sales guy literally just hopped into my MDX right when I got out and pulled it into the bay, and doing the balancing. No wait at all. If this occurs I will take my MDX to Honda and have them do it, and I am pretty sure my SA will have the techs just drive it into the service bay, instead of waiting and taking all the info.

wonder if you lost a balance weight? Did they use clip on or tape on weights? or a combo of tape on near the outside of the wheel and clip on on the inside of the rim? it's pretty uncommon but does happen that weights can come off. tape on can come off if not taped to a clean surface, clip on can come off if not crimped well.

In all my years driving 50ish and over 1,000,000 miles total I have had one, maybe two occasion(s) I can remember where weights came off.
I think its both clip on and taped weights. I know my rims have a ton of brake dust and its killing my OCD. But I don't know how to clean all of that off without getting the tires off the vehicle to clean them. Need to do the same for my parents' Rogue. Dumb question, but gotta ask since I got warped Rotors (confirmed it by slamming on the brakes from 70 to a complete stop due to light turning to red from green), but do the warped rotors cause the misbalancing?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Last time when they rebalanced the tires, the sales guy literally just hopped into my MDX right when I got out and pulled it into the bay, and doing the balancing. No wait at all. If this occurs I will take my MDX to Honda and have them do it, and I am pretty sure my SA will have the techs just drive it into the service bay, instead of waiting and taking all the info.

I think its both clip on and taped weights. I know my rims have a ton of brake dust and its killing my OCD. But I don't know how to clean all of that off without getting the tires off the vehicle to clean them. Need to do the same for my parents' Rogue. Dumb question, but gotta ask since I got warped Rotors (confirmed it by slamming on the brakes from 70 to a complete stop due to light turning to red from green), but do the warped rotors cause the misbalancing?
No, warped rotors will not cause a misbalance, but they can produce a shimmy. The wheels are off the car for the balancing, so the rotors are not part of the equation, but throw the wheels back onto the car and now the rotors are. I have to say though, even badly warped rotors should have a virtually indistinguishable impact. You'd have a much greater chance of noticing a bad CV joint/axle. A motor mount or transmission vibration can be mistaken for a balance issue as well. That said, if you didn't have the issue before the new tires then it would take a huge coincidence for the problem to pop up right after and not be directly related to the tires. One other challenge of course is the heightened senses that occur after knowing a change was made and something that was there before, but you didn't notice, is now noticeable because you are hyper sensitive.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, warped rotors will not cause a misbalance, but they can produce a shimmy. The wheels are off the car for the balancing, so the rotors are not part of the equation, but throw the wheels back onto the car and now the rotors are. I have to say though, even badly warped rotors should have a virtually indistinguishable impact. You'd have a much greater chance of noticing a bad CV joint/axle. A motor mount or transmission vibration can be mistaken for a balance issue as well. That said, if you didn't have the issue before the new tires then it would take a huge coincidence for the problem to pop up right after and not be directly related to the tires. One other challenge of course is the heightened senses that occur after knowing a change was made and something that was there before, but you didn't notice, is now noticeable because you are hyper sensitive.
Interesting that you mentioned that. I have noticed too many issues pop-up with my MDX right after I got new tires. This never happened on my previous vehicle where I replaced tires with new ones after 2 years 8 months with 58k miles, and no issues popped-up.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Interesting that you mentioned that. I have noticed too many issues pop-up with my MDX right after I got new tires. This never happened on my previous vehicle where I replaced tires with new ones after 2 years 8 months with 58k miles, and no issues popped-up.
But all good now, correct? If so then sloppy work or lack of match mounting was probably to blame. Many shops won't match mount unless there is a complaint, then when you come back they do it without telling you. They get by without doing it the vast majority of the time, so they would rather not spend the extra time X however many sets they sell each week and deal with the occasional complaint.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hopefully its all good. It takes about couple hundred miles for me to see if its misbalanced. That's how frequently I am going back to either Acura and DT.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts