Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order a new boat and am wondering if I need to order it with trailer brakes. I am thinking that I don't need the trailer brakes but here are the specs.

2015 MDX Advance awd with factory hitch and transmission cooler.

boat/single axle trailer/engine total weight: approximately 2800lbs

Average tow will be 15 miles each way. Flat ground and no highway driving.

Will tow at highway speed several times per year (65mph) with round trips about 50 miles.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
894 Posts
My response is for safety get the brakes. The correct response is that this is a state law requirement that varies by state. In TN if the gross weight is over 3,000 lb, you have to have brakes. The weight requirement may be different in TX. With a boat, in estimating gross weight, consider all the stuff in the boat as well as the gas.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You likely want 'hydraulic surge breaks' that will slow the boat down when the tongue of the trailer starts pushing on the car. This is different than electrical brakes that are connected to your car break pedal. That type of breaking system is reserved for very large trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't think the OP wants to break anything, he wants to his trailer to have brakes...;-)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good working well balanced trailer brakes can make a real difference when trailering anything remotely heavy (50% or more of vehicle curb weight). IMO heavy towing can be done with a car based SUV, but it come down to details. Good adjusted trailer brakes, preferably with a controller. Also its critical tongue weight is correct. And all tires need to be in good condition.

Some people claim you need a 3/4+ ton diesel truck to tow anything heavy (camper, boat, car trailer, etc.) This is not true, but there is a benefit to a heavy duty tow vehicle. The benefit is "no thought" towing. No trailer brakes... no problem. Don't know the tongue weight... who cares. Trailer angle wrong.... won't matter. When you have a tow capacity of 12000-18000 lbs, these details matter less.

At 2800lbs with a MDX, go with trailer brakes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would vote the same as everyone else, it is a small investment for safety.

get brakes if your tow is more than half the tow vehicle's capacity
get weight distribution hitch if tongue weight is more than half the tow vehicle's capacity
get anti sway if you need the above two item especially if your trailer is taller than your vehicle.

don't cheap out on safety. Towing is so easy and it is easy to overlook how dangerous it actually is when you encounter emergency maneuvers. So, take every precaution possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts