Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Standard oil change video except I use a plastic shopping bag to catch the oil from the filter. It really is a mess saver. Just make sure your bags doesn't have any holes in them (been there)

I hope this helps you folks and your DIY'ing

·
Registered
296 Posts
I use a Ziploc bag to catch the oil from filter.
Thanks for the video.

Was hoping you have a DYI 2016 model for the Transmission fluid. lol

Reactions: rcy

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a Ziploc bag to catch the oil from filter.
Thanks for the video.

Was hoping you have a DYI 2016 model for the Transmission fluid. lol

2016 & Up - do they even have a dip stick? I haven’t looked into them but I believe the fill hole (plug) is in the driver side wheel well area? I am sure it’s doable - we’ll it has to be. They just make it harderd if it’s not on a lift.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've done multiple oil changes on the 2014 MDX now and find the following method easier and cleaner than the procedure you posted. You might want to try it next time - and video it since you do a great job on the how-to videos.

No need for ramps.

1. Slide under the front with an oil drain pan and remove the pan bolt to let the oil drain. There's adequate clearance for this without needing to elevate the front. When drained replace the drain bolt washer with a new one and install the drain bolt and torque to spec (29 ft-lbs).

2. Jack up the right front of the vehicle and remove the wheel (which can then be rotated since the oil change interval is a reasonable one for the tire rotation as well). Place a jack stand under the vehicle for safety support since a jack is never to be trusted to not fail.

3. From the wheel well the oil filter can be easily seen and readily accessed. Place a Form-A-Funnel (link above in Manera's post) between the frame member and the oil filter shaped such that it funnels down to an oil drain pan that's placed in the area where the tire was removed - right next to you. Remove the filter and let the oil drip down the Form-A-Funnel into the pan.

4. From this same access point use your finger to place a thin film of oil on the new filters gasket and a bit on the threads and install the new oil filter and hand tighten.

5. From the engine bay put in the new oil. I use Mobile 1 economy plus 0W-20 (the specified weight) full synthetic (around $22 or so I think) and have found that the 5 quart jugs from Walmart (the only reason I ever go to a Walmart - they have the jugs and many other places don't) fill the crankcase to the appropriate point on the dip stick - despite the capacity spec.

6. Either put the right front wheel back on or proceed with a tire rotation now. Rotation is fronts cross over to the backs and backs go straight to the fronts. Lug nut torque spec is 80 ft lbs.

I've found this method with a form-a-funnel easier and cleaner than trying to use a plastic bag and changing the filter from underneath, which is cumbersome due to the frame member right under it. With the form-a-funnel I end up without even a drop of oil anywhere on the vehicle whereas with the bag method it often will fail entirely if the bag happens to get twisted up or has a hole in it or if one tilts things on the way down, but through the wheel well with the form-a-funnel it's perfectly clean every time I've done it. It's well worth the cost for vehicles that have obstructions in the way like the MDX.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I am thinking about getting the Fumoto Valve but I worry that it can get knocked out by some misfortune.
Yeah, my aim was to try and use what I have around the house and I have a lot of plastic shopping bags that are "free" stuffed in a cabinet - the trick is finding one without holes in it. NY is starting to crack down on their use like in CA so time will soon be up and i'll pick something like this up. I am just looking to have to clean up less and get it done as quick as possible. I generally do maintance on all my cars the same day so this a form filter can help me speed it up as it does take a bit to align the bag to the filter housing.

Cheers!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done multiple oil changes on the 2014 MDX now and find the following method easier and cleaner than the procedure you posted. You might want to try it next time - and video it since you do a great job on the how-to videos.
Thanks, I actually use to do no ramps (when I didn't have them) But with several vehicles jacking up the car got old for me real quick and I got the ramps and love them. I do like the A form filter idea - I will get one and do another video at my next oil change using jacks for folks that do not have ramps.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If you don't want to get ramps, I simply got wood planks and drive up on those. Gives me about an extra 2" which is plenty of room for me.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Ramps - I already have ramps (metal ones) and use them for some jobs (I used them for another vehicle this last weekend) but it's really not needed for the oil change since there's adequate clearance without them - and combined with the wheel well access to the oil filter even more so not needed - especially if one's going to rotate tires at the same time. But one should use what's most convenient for them as long as it's safe. btw - I noticed in one of your videos your tire wasn't fully against the stops on the ramp, i.e. it should have been pulled forward a bit more. It's safest to be fully against the stops - in the little well.

There's another thread here about putting the spigot on the oil pan but since just using the normal bolt takes literally seconds and the oil change interval is long (7k-9k typically between changes) I don't see a point to it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed in one of your videos your tire wasn't fully against the stops on the ramp, i.e. it should have been pulled forward a bit more. It's safest to be fully against the stops - in the little well.
You caught that huh? I had to get creative for the camera angles, you'd laugh if you saw my camera setup - I am totally hacking it and I hope it doesn't show - I risked my life to make this video 0:) I kept it safe - I made sure it (and I) was secure but thats not my normal routine at all.

Re: Fumoto - I feel the same way - not sure it's worth the $40 and the drain time is so slow, kinda defeats my main goal of saving time. And since I do a lot of mountain and snow driving who knows what I may hit. Maybe if I get enough views I can approach them about doing a product review (in consideration for the product >:) )

Re: Tire Rotations - I kept to a different schedule, I have winter tires (wheels) so that forces a change and those are directional rotation (front to back) and then I have the shop do the rotation at the yearly state inspection check and then each time I have to replace the brake pads which is when I also bleed the brake line.

Any time i have the tires off I clean and lube the caliper pins if the show any friction just to keep them free flowing.

DA

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I had to get creative for the camera angles
Your camera angles are great - I think you're capturing the action well and narrating it well also.

Rotations - yeah - with snow tires and/or directional the rotations would be different. It never snows where I live so I don't have that concern.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Localbar

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks! I am thinking about getting the Fumoto Valve but I worry that it can get knocked out by some misfortune.
Yeah, my aim was to try and use what I have around the house and I have a lot of plastic shopping bags that are "free" stuffed in a cabinet - the trick is finding one without holes in it. NY is starting to crack down on their use like in CA so time will soon be up and i'll pick something like this up. I am just looking to have to clean up less and get it done as quick as possible. I generally do maintance on all my cars the same day so this a form filter can help me speed it up as it does take a bit to align the bag to the filter housing.

Cheers!
I've had the Fumoto valve on my 2006 since 2012 and 200 000 kilometres. It has yet to be knocked off or accidentally release the engine's lifeblood all over the highway. In the winter I make a point of blasting through the berms left by the plow just for fun. Keep in mind, though, the 1st gen towers above the 3rd gen (higher ground clearance and better approach and departure angles).

It takes longer to drain, but I like being able to drain right into an old jug of oil.

·
Registered
414 Posts
6. Either put the right front wheel back on or proceed with a tire rotation now. Rotation is fronts cross over to the backs and backs go straight to the fronts. Lug nut torque spec is 80 ft lbs.

80 ft lbs, yes. For God's sake, if you're rotating your own tires or swapping winters on etc., get a good torque wrench and do what he says. (not directed at the OP, but just in general for anyone).

·
Registered
962 Posts
I found that trimming the right lower splash panel helps to gain an easy grip on the filter.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I use scrap cardboard to divert the oil:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll add some pics of changing the oil filter from the passenger wheel well with a form-a-funnel -
I think I am sold - I am buying this and will make a new video with using this.. looks like a great time saver!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've had the Fumoto valve on my 2006 since 2012 and 200 000 kilometres. It has yet to be knocked off or accidentally release the engine's lifeblood all over the highway. In the winter I make a point of blasting through the berms left by the plow just for fun. Keep in mind, though, the 1st gen towers above the 3rd gen (higher ground clearance and better approach and departure angles).

It takes longer to drain, but I like being able to drain right into an old jug of oil.
Does the 1st Gen, only take 5qts oil? I thought of this (emptying directly into an old 5 qt bottle) but with the the 3rd gen it will overflow because it's close to 6 qts which means I would have to watch it. My whole main objective for DIY is time. I do a lot of MTN driving so I am a bit more reserved to installing something that is protruding than someone just driving around. I don't know I struggle with this each time I think about it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts