Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Cool!

This trick may come in handy. After removing the old bearing, I cut through the outer race with a thin abrasive wheel. I then use it as a driver for the new bearing, since it is a perfect fit. Because of the cut it is easy to remove in the case of a recessed bearing installation.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DIY tensioner & AC Clutch pulley bearing replacement

Cool!

This trick may come in handy. After removing the old bearing, I cut through the outer race with a thin abrasive wheel. I then use it as a driver for the new bearing, since it is a perfect fit. Because of the cut it is easy to remove in the case of a recessed bearing installation.

Nice. I am thinking the same along the line but I would punch out the middle in the old bearing and just use the outer as a guide to punch through the new bearing. never thought about making a cut. I don’t have anything heavy to cut it. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting to the AC COMPRESSOR is a challenge but I think it can be done without removing the 4 bolts.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I replaced the bearings on both pulleys of the tensioner assembly and the rattle sound is still there. Next would be replacing the AC clutch pulley bearing.

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DIY tensioner & AC Clutch pulley bearing replacement

Found the culprit of rattle noise. It’s not the tensioner pulleys bearings and its not the AC clutch pulley bearing either. It is the actual tensioner spring inside the assembly. I removed tensioner assembly and I spray a lot of WD40 inside the tensioner cavity (see red arrow) where the spring is located and let it drips out. Put everything back together and the rattling noise under load is gone (AC ON). I suspected it may have something to do with the spring inside the tensioner assembly because I noticed when the rattling noise happened I noticed the tensioner assembly had some vibrations. I hope the WD40 is a permanent fix and if not now I know what to replace, the whole assembly.

Side note. I tried to remove the AC clutch pulley but didn’t get too far because I can’t remove the snap right with the tool I have. I gave up and I decided to remove the tensioner assembly again and gave WD40 a try and it work!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts