Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the easiest, fastest DIY I have ever written.

So after replacing my front sway bushings which were hardened to hell I decided to give it a go and replace the rears. Since there isn´t a DIY about doing that on the 2G MDX I decided to write this DIY.

Parts you will need:
0.- New sway bar bushings. I used MOOG K200735 which are only for the BASE MODEL MDX, Sport uses different part number.

Pretty soft material, Seems poly-based.

1.- 14mm socket
2.- Ratchet
3.- Torque meter (Optional)
4.- Cleaning rags

Steps works on both sides:

1.- You don´t need to jack up the car, Just park the car on a leveled surface and you can crawl underneath the rear and spot the bushings behind the mufflers. They are easily visible through the rear wheel wells:

2.- Remove the bushings by removing the 2x 14mm bolts holding the bracket in place:

3.- Mew bushing vs Old bushing:

4.- Clean the sway bar for any dirt and mud, etc. Clean the base too:

5.- Install the new bushing and bracket, Torque to 22ft-lb (I didn´t get the correct measurement online, I used the torque meter to find the tightness level, they became undone at around 25ft-lb..) If you happen to find the correct measurement use that to tighten the bolts:

Tips:
1.- You can reach the upper bolt if you put your hand on top of the muffler heat shield, There is room for your arm and it will have an excellent angle to start the threads on the top bolt.

2.- Use penetrating oil before hand, I soaked them before doing this and they were still pretty tight.

3.- If a bolt is too tight do not try to remove it by force!! these screws are very small and they will cap off easily.. Use penetrating oil to thread it in and carefully remove them, When they start to snug up insert them again.. Use plenty penetrating oil when you thread it in again... Repeat until the bolt comes off.

That´s it! you just replaced your Rear Sway Bar Bushings! Give thanks to Honda since they re-designed this setup for the 2G.. The 1G MDX required you to drop the sub frame in order to reach the bushings... So this is pretty darn simple.

Pics Installed:

DIY DIFFICULT SCALE: 1 out of 10
TIME TO COMPLETE: 15 Minutes.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Awesome stuff, @skirmich

These last few DIY's you've posted are gonna make me spend a few bucks on my X. ;)

I've started an Amazon wish list with all these MOOG parts, will have to wait till spring as our temps are hovering around 30* - 32*F these days. A bit too cold to be working out in the driveway.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
How many such suspension rubber parts in mdx and do they all need to be replaced? I can count sway bar bushings, lower ball joints, strut mounts, engine transmission mounts, anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Excellent skirmich! Thanks! :29:

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome stuff, @skirmich

These last few DIY's you've posted are gonna make me spend a few bucks on my X. ;)

I've started an Amazon wish list with all these MOOG parts, will have to wait till spring as our temps are hovering around 30* - 32*F these days. A bit too cold to be working out in the driveway.

Thanks! good thing these are pretty inexpensive :D and Yeah working on the floor with those temps is no good for your health.. I was lying down on a cardboard box and it wasn´t really cozy.. At least this can be done without jacking up the car which saves up a lot of time for me.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many such suspension rubber parts in mdx and do they all need to be replaced? I can count sway bar bushings, lower ball joints, strut mounts, engine transmission mounts, anything else?

Well considering ALL arms and suspension links comes with rubber? pretty much all the suspensions parts...
Even the shocks have a rubber insulator which is part of the dust cover. But I am not gonna change the front A-Arms just to have new bushings :D

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent skirmich! Thanks! :29:

Your welcome!!

To add up to the write up:
1.- MOOG K200736 is the correct part number for the SPORT MDX.
2.- Correct torque spec for the sway bushing bracket is 16ft-lbs.

This info was shared by the member: "Carpayment4life" @ Acurazine.com

Reactions: Priscillababy

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Bump up this companion thread as well! Why didn't you replace the rear links? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the fronts because they were making noise, Rear ones were not and they looked like a PITA to replace… They are also pretty expensive... Perhaps down the road as preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why your under carriage cover with so much dust. You drive on dusty road in Mexico?

Every road is a dusty road in México!
Joke aside I dont recall why it was so dirty that time But I do lots of off roading with my X so perhaps it was the day after an off road adventure.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I replaced the fronts because they were making noise, Rear ones were not and they looked like a PITA to replace… They are also pretty expensive... Perhaps down the road as preventive maintenance.
Any reason why the rear ones are more of a PITA than the front ones?

The price is a lot more on eBay/Amazon, but at RockAuto, the price is very close. RA is magical. Even with 15% coupon, nothing in eBay will come close to RA. For just $8.99 shipping, no tax, RA will deliver everything using UPS ground. The grand total is only $116 for 4 end links and two pairs of bushings. I guess that is why people stick with RA even after they got really f**ed by RA.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The front is a strut setup while the back has the shock and spring separated, So the space is a little tight between the knuckle and the lower nut for the sway links. It looks 2x harder to replace than the fronts.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
All the bolts nuts are 12mm, man!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The space there is a bit larger than I thought. I can actually stick a 3/8 torque wrench down there. After I torqued all four bolts to 16 ft lbs, I can see that the sway bar can very easily slide horizontally. This is expected, right? The ball joints at the end of the sway bar are supposed to induce this kind of movement? I think this makes sense. Just want to make sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine were all 14mms.. Perhaps they changed the nut size down the road? I found 14mm to be odd size since most Hondas use 10-12mms for such small nuts.

Also the sway bar will self center once it has enough cycles through it as it moves depending on the droop of the suspension...

·
Registered
104 Posts
wrong bushing size?

I'm confused here. I have a 2008 Sport/Advanced model. I went to unscrew my bolts which were 12mm and when I tried to put on the replacement K200736 for the rear, they did not fit. The diameter of the hole in the bushing was too small.

I've attached a picture comparing the old one (left) to the new one (right).

Anyone know of the correct part number to get?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think they probably miss packaged your bushings? but the info on the webpage is contradictory as well..
I got mine from "Baja Carquest" essentially Mexican Carquest and the part number on the package fitted like a glove on my Base MDX, But according to Moog own webpage it shouldnt?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.