Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked to salesman at Nalley in Atlanta. He said if anyone other than Acura installs hitch kit (coolers) that it voids the warranty. He said they had contacted Acura on this. This does not sound correct. Does anyone have an Acura contact that can refute this?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Since the Magnussen Moss Warranty Act applies to Acura, they must concur. Of course, if the installer screws up the installation, that's another matter. But if Acura were to *require* OEM parts and/or dealer installation on ANYTHING, then the law requires those items be provided and/or installed free of charge.

Companies can't void warranties for non-OEM or non-dealer-installed parts. But, if the install wrecks stuff, then a claim *could* be denied if a poor part/install did the damage.

Nonetheless, the warranty of the part(s) themselves and everything else is there.

If I were NSX bill, I'd insist on the dealer doing the install for free, since it's supposedly "required" by Acura and therefore must be provided free according to federal law. I'm sure the dealer/salesperson will become quickly enlightened: "Uh, oh, um, er...nevermind".

Typical dealer bunk. I anxiously await hockeyplayer's usual post :D

I'm sure Ard will chime in, too :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Would the same hold true if I wanted to install a basic hitch (sans coolers) simply for use for a bike rack (i.e., no towing)?

Thanks,
Traveller

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Loophole?

A quick lookup ...

The Magnussen-Moss warranty act states that for the warranty to be voided for a problem, if aftermarket parts are found on the vehicle, the manufacturer must prove that the aftermarket parts were the sole cause to the failure.

In the case of tranny coolers, it would seem it may be an easy out for Acura to say any aftermarket cooler install could cause transmission failure. Am I being too cynical?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I too have posted on this before...

...it is really rather simple.

The dealers are either lying or simply misinterpreting the factory position.

There is a LOGICAL chain of events that would have to happen IN THE EVENT you were to be DENIED a warranty claim:

a) dealer would CLAIM the aftermarket part CAUSED the harm

b) you would contact Acura

c) IF Acura tried to stand by DEALER you would contact FTC

d) FTC would place burden of PROOF on Acura...

It would also be smart to talk to a lawyer, hopefully one experienced in HELPING large corporations SEE THE LIGHT when it comes to dealing with CUSTOMERS and the FTC...

The MANUFACTURER simply CANNOT arbitrarily REQUIRE factory parts. That is EXPRESSLY prohibited. Similarly, the parts in question would have to be 'causal', not merely related to...

Personally, I think the coolers are a VERY GOOD IDEA, and if the dealer wants a REASONABLE price to install 'em, it is worth letting them do it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: I too have posted on this before...

renov8r said:
...it is really rather simple.

The dealers are either lying or simply misinterpreting the factory position...

It would also be smart to talk to a lawyer, hopefully one experienced in HELPING large corporations SEE THE LIGHT when it comes to dealing with CUSTOMERS and the FTC...

Personally, I think the coolers are a VERY GOOD IDEA, and if the dealer wants a REASONABLE price to install 'em, it is worth letting them do it.
What is the Factory position?

With a forum like this, I shouldn't have to talk to a lawyer.

I think the OEM coolers are a good idea too. The original post was concerning the ramifications of my installing them myself. I did not intend to get into whether or not I should pay them to do it, only what happens if I properly install them...Does it Void the Warrenty or Not, and if not, who in Acura says so.

TIA

Bill

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
They CANNOT require dealer installation!

If if would void the warranty, then it would make no sense for them to offer the parts for general sale -- they'd have to do some kind of 'restricted distribution'.

That is NOT the case.

Tim, who runs the parts dept at Ray laks Acura in Buffalo and hondacureworld.com has sold DOZENS of hitches/coolers, most of which have been owner installed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if I can just install the Hitch-mounted Bike Carrier without install the Trailer Hitch package that included the cooler because I know I will not do any towing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks hammermdx,

Have you or anyone done that? How difficult to install the Hitch-mounted Bike Car if I want to DIY?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The coolers are a good idea, period, and I believe they can be bought from Tim without buying a hitch. Anything that helps a transmission to run cooler is a GOOD idea! That said, I can't find a separate listing for the MDX coolers, but for the Pilot, their separate prices add up to about 60-70% of what the entire hitch kit costs! And the coolers take a lot of time & work to install, if the instructions on Tim's website are Acurate.

There are larger (probably more efficient) aftermarket coolers available, but I wouldn't mess with them while the car is still under warranty. But I'll probably have the X for another 6-8 years after the warranty runs out, so maybe then... :4:

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
I haven't put the hitch on yet, as I'm going to wait for the spring. I will only be using it for bikes, so I'm debating whether or not I will do the coolers too. If I do the coolers I will order everything from Tim. Otherwise I will go with The Hiddien Hitch since I have a Full Service Spare and the DrawTite will not work with a FSS. I have not ordered anything from these guys, but they seem to sell the Acura Hitch, Tranny and PS coolers individually.

http://handa-accessories.com/mdx.html

However, it will kill me to have to order any OEM accessories from anybody but Tim!:2:

·
Registered
452 Posts
ghm2112 said:
Would the same hold true if I wanted to install a basic hitch (sans coolers) simply for use for a bike rack (i.e., no towing)?

Thanks,
Traveller
Early on I bought a hitch only from my Acura dealer. I had to sign the receipt that I did not accept the coolers and were not planning on towing with it. It was just a CYA on their part I am sure.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts