Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a head up. For this DIY before you remove anything you need to find out if you can remove the EGR and the studs holding it. That studs need to come out first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
HOLLY smack.... what in the world happened here..??????

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engine ticking noise is GONE!!!
Wow! First time doing a front camshaft replacement and first time doing a timing belt job went so any problem other than fighting for nuts and bolts in tight spot and 3 days of working. I am very pleased that I didn’t screw anything up. The car just started up like normal. Now this motivates me to look and inspect the rear camshaft for wear but it is impossible to see it while it is in the cylinder head. Replacing the from camshaft is pretty straight forward but a lot of removing parts.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the sound of knocking/ticking engine noise before and after front camshaft replacement. Notice I rev up to 3000 RMP

Before camshaft replacement:

After camshaft replacement:

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want thanks you guys for answering a lot of my questions. This project is a culmination of watching YouTube reading FSM AND very useful information that you people provided. It took me almost 2 months of planning to get all the necessary tools and took the challenge and started the tear down last Friday and I am feeling VERY GOOD right now

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My engine runs like when the car was new after replacing the front camshaft. She purrs like a kitten! Maybe I should replace the rear camshaft as well since I know how to do it with confidence. Probably the rear is easier to slide out. For the front it was PITA to remove the battery and the battery base.

·
Registered
325 Posts
how did that cam get like that?? WHAT HAPPENED TO IT??????????????????????
thats not normal for a cam to get that way

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The engine making knocking and ticking sounds because of worn camshaft. Manufacturing defect I guest or may be from severe driving Uber?

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is another thing I noticed today...I don’t see anymore oil leak from the oil pump! I think I know why. When I was doing the timing belt I replaced the idler pulley. The idler pulley bolt is designed to go through the hole on the oil pump to hold both the pulley and the oil pump. And its happened that the high pressure oil gasket is located next to this bolt. The oil leak that I was having was from this gasket and when i replaced the idler pulley I tightened the bolt and thus it re-tighten the oil gasket. If I don’t see anymore oil leak in the next 5 days then I fix the oil pump leak without having to remove the oil pump! This is like throw one rock and hits two birds. Man if this is true I am feeling even better now!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Maybe I should follow your oil change intervals to prevent this from happening again. Just joking!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts