Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of 2003 MDX. Car is fine except for distortion at center base of front windshield. Checked out several other MDX's at dealer and found same problem. Has anyone encountered same problem and what has been Acura's response?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Front Windshield Replaced

JeffK,

I just had the local dealership replace my front windshield. I had a small (dime size) distortion toward the center of the windshield. Lived with it since Feb 2001, but decided that it was time to have it checked out by the dealer before 50K.

Although the asst. service advisor could not make the call, the service manager apparently approved the replacement under warranty. It was replaced with genuine Honda glass and seal at the dealer. Not sure if they used the thicker 2002 glass or if it was the thinner 2001 glass, but I sure can see clearly now!

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately my distortion is much bigger than "dime size". It starts at the center of the windshield and works its way across the passenger side. It starts about 3 inches from the bottom and is about 3 inches high.

You get a wavy view when looking through it.

My post was because other 2003 MDX's seemed to have the same problem - at least those at my dealer.

Wondering how this could have gotten through Acura quality control.

One helpful sign, when I pointed it out to the service manager he saw it right away, but also noticed it on other 2003 MDX"S.

Wonder if this will be a factory recall.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just took delivery of 2003 MDX. Car is fine except for distortion at center base of front windshield. Checked out several other MDX's at dealer and found same problem. Has anyone encountered same problem and what has been Acura's response?

Second posting.

Do I have a unique problem?

·
Registered
968 Posts
JeffK said:

Second posting.

Do I have a unique problem?
I got my '03 on Oct. 31, 2003. I'll check mines out also tommorrow.

Acura QA team is sleeping again.
I found my interior driver door handle had a molding defect before and an Acura dealer replace it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine too!

Our new '03 has a distortion at the center base of the windshield too and we are likely going to get it replaced at some point in the near future as well.

the driver's inside door panel also has an indentation where it meets the mirror trim, leaving a semicircular "hole".

Gonna have to get that fixed as well.

Steve

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Windshield Distortion

Dear Steve:

I have checked about 4 to 6 other 2003 MDX at my dealer.

They all have the same distortion!

I think that Acura has had a very long and bad run of windshields.

At first, my service manager did not see the problem, but after a while acknowledged it.

Before to get a new windshield, I have asked to see the district manager, as I do not want another windshield with the same problem.

I think we could be looking a very large factory recall.

Jeff

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds like you need to do a poll

to get some idea of numbers here. I haven't started one before so I am no help but it would be interesting to see the extent of the problem amongst our members. BTW I do not have the problem.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Windshield Distortation

Update:

I have an appointment with the District Manager on February 25, 2003 to go over this problem.

Would appreciate any other owners to post if they have a similar problem.

Again, I suspect that this is a BIG general problem that may trigger a factory recall.

·
Registered
470 Posts
After reading this thread, I looked closely for this today. Either I don't have it or I can't see it.... :confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's great news...

I suspected all MDXs had distorted windshields, but now that it appears this isn't so, I should have no trouble getting it replaced under warranty.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

District Manager inspected my windshield yesterday.

Acknowledged the distortion.

Will check with the engineers and get back to me.

She thinks (yes it was a "she" but extremely competent - I expected no less from Acura) that all windshields are like this.

Again the distortion is from the bottom of the windshield to about 7/8 inches above it, in the center and about 10 left and right of the center.

By sighting on an object directly above the windshield wipers in the center of the windshield and moving up and down about 6 inches you will notice the distortion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Try this...

Have someone drive your MDX and you sit in the seat behind the front passenger's position. Look through the windshield over the center console and the instrument cluster down low and see if it is massively distorted there. I found that it was hideously distorted there and also from the dirver's position, the center and right side of my windshield was so distorted that it hurt my eyes after driving the vehicle.

Let us know if this works for you.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steve:

You have described my problem.

I am afraid this is far more widespread than Acura will admit.

See my prior posts where I am afraid of a factory recall, something Acura may not want to do.

What did you service manager say when he saw the problem?

JeffK

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jeff,

My service advisor has agreed to swap out the windshield sight unseen. They are ordering or have ordered a new windshield.

Our vehicle has 700 miles on it. This will be our first service visit. We are also having the driver's side interior door panel replaced; there is a screwdriver-type hole in it where it meets the side mirror trim area.

Steven

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pretty sure I saw distortion in the center but since mine is still in the body shop getting the ding repaired that the cat put in it I can't look. Hopefully I will be able to see something by Friday. I saw the distortion before seeing this thread so I am pretty sure I wasn't influenced .

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steve:

Let me know if the new one is OK.

JEFFK

·
Registered
127 Posts
After reading this thread, I had to go and check out my 3 month old '03 (3K miles). Viewing from the driver seat through the center lower windshield, there is a slight distortion on my vehicle's windshield. It is not noticeable until you look center and start moving you view side ways and around.

I think that the poll idea may lead to more numbers than the responses thus far. I briefly checked the visibility/distortion for the rest of the windshield and it appears to be okay. I will recheck during daylight hours.

Good luck on your windshield replacement.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts