Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2007 Tech package that has 191,655 miles on it.

I had the oil changed 3 months ago with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 Motor Oil @ 190,055. I checked the oil today as a routine maintenance check and saw that it was really dirty and dark. The oil life says 80% though.

Wondering if it's worth changing the oil again so soon (1.6k miles in) or if I let it ride till at least 3k-4k? I was under the assumption the full synthetic would give me some more life before the next oil change. It is obviously an old vehicle and I live in a CO so it is frequently on mountain roads which I assume has degraded the oil life.

Any thoughts or opinions? Is this normal for an older car of this model year?

·
Registered
633 Posts
When I got my 8 year old MDX, back in 2015 I noticed the same thing, but my engine had 84,000 miles, so I cleaned it out.
With my young oil being dirty anyway, I used a can of BG's EPR (engine performance restoration).
1. I cut a stick just long enough to wedge between the seat and the gas pedal so I could keep the rpms at 2,000 (in park).
2. I got the front tires off the ground and on jack stands, so I would have direct access to the oil filter and drain plug.
3. I poured in the BG EPR, wedged the stick in place, and let it run at 2,000 rpm, for 20 minutes.
4. I turned off the engine, used my leather winter work gloves to drain the oil, and removed the oil filter. I got the oil/cleaner out as soon as I could.
5. I put in fresh oil and drove about 500 miles, then I repeated the process.
6. I put in fresh oil and drove about 500 miles again, and repeated the process a third and final time.
I used 2 filters, 9 quarts of oil, and 3 cans of cleaner.

Two things happened, one expected and one unexpected.
1st. My oil is still translucent after 3000 miles and that's when I change it now a days.
2nd. My oil level sensor must have gotten messed up, because I started getting a "check oil level" warning. The oil level was always fine, so I looked into replacing the sensor. There is a TSB link on replacing the sensor. I bought one online for about 32% off, from an Acura online parts counter. I installed it in about 15 minutes.
No more warnings and clean oil. It has been 3 years and 18,000 miles.

I'm happy with my results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Interesting - I'll look into using some BG EPR before I do my next oil change. Maybe it does just need to be cleaned out. The oil level is always right on point just young dirty oil.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just because oil is dark doesn't mean it's not good. In a lot of those oil head-to-heads they cook the oils for a few hours and they turn dark almost instantly. Have you done an oil analysis?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Color of the oil does not necessarily mean it's "dirty" (you can research this yourself). Certain engines seem to discolor the oil quickly and my '12 MDX has done so since new. I switched to synthetic on the first oil change and have had oil analysis performed several times over the last 140k miles. Using the 7k-9k mile intervals the MID calls for, the oil samples have always been excellent at those miles. If you're truly concerned have the oil sampled. The $30 is well worth it if you're planning to keep it awhile longer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Interesting - I'll look into using some BG EPR before I do my next oil change. Maybe it does just need to be cleaned out. The oil level is always right on point just young dirty oil.
snake oil! just use a good synthetic oil and change it more often than the mid tells you to
i change mine at about 40%

·
Registered
536 Posts
Flush it few times with BG109, your oil will stay clear for longer time. Good oils have more detergents, cleaning power and lifts more oil varnish in shorter time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m gonna get an oil analysis done and use one of the BG products before my next oil change. Thanks for the tips and insight everyone!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Flush it few times with BG109, your oil will stay clear for longer time. Good oils have more detergents, cleaning power and lifts more oil varnish in shorter time.
Do you have a procedure how to flush with BG109? Do you need cheap Dino oil for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was using High Mileage Penzoil full synthetic or High Mileage Valvoline full synthetic in my MDX. I used the BG EPR in that old full synthetic oil, ran the motor at 2,000 rpm for 20 minutes. You don't want to let the BG EPR set too long in your motor, after you turn it off.

I had my MDX front tires off the ground, before I ran the motor. I didn't want to burn myself on the motor, when I removed the oil drain plug and the oil filter, so I used my Winter gloves.
You can use fresh cheaper dino oil and drive it 500 miles and repeat the process to save $10.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I was using High Mileage Penzoil full synthetic or High Mileage Valvoline full synthetic in my MDX. I used the BG EPR in that old full synthetic oil, ran the motor at 2,000 rpm for 20 minutes. You don't want to let the BG EPR set too long in your motor, after you turn it off.

I had my MDX front tires off the ground, before I ran the motor. I didn't want to burn myself on the motor, when I removed the oil drain plug and the oil filter, so I used my Winter gloves.
You can use fresh cheaper dino oil and drive it 500 miles and repeat the process to save $10.
Ok thanks. So you can do this at the oil change (with the old oil)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Do you have a procedure how to flush with BG109? Do you need cheap Dino oil for this?

Yes, fresh is better, $13 jug from Walmart will do it.

I would suggest 30min on idle and after that another 20-30min on 1200-1400rpms and this is only on fresh oil. I would not go longer than 20-30min on old oil.
BG MOA is a must after this procedure, unless all old oil is removed after flush. Without MOA oil life will be shorter.
After drain, there is still left at least half of liter in oil system (oil passages).

·
Registered
2 Posts
At a 190k miles I would not flush anything out of the vehicle. That gunk is holding your gaskets together. I have a similar MDX with same performance and it runs solid. I run my vehicles hard in severe weather band they are fine.
I own a 2007 Tech package that has 191,655 miles on it.

I had the oil changed 3 months ago with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 Motor Oil @ 190,055. I checked the oil today as a routine maintenance check and saw that it was really dirty and dark. The oil life says 80% though.

Wondering if it's worth changing the oil again so soon (1.6k miles in) or if I let it ride till at least 3k-4k? I was under the assumption the full synthetic would give me some more life before the next oil change. It is obviously an old vehicle and I live in a CO so it is frequently on mountain roads which I assume has degraded the oil life.

Any thoughts or opinions? Is this normal for an older car of this model year?

·
Registered
255 Posts
a flush at 190k you might as well pour lapping compound in your engine because that what your gonna get when you break all that **** loose, run it for 30 minutes and do about 50k worth of wear

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Seriously, this discussion is silly. Color doesn't mean anything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts