Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading the previous messages, I know the Bose sub amp is located above the rear passenger weel. Has anyone tried to use an aftermarket amp to directly replace this amp so that it will be a bit more powerful (~100 watts @ 4 ohm) and does not require new wirings to be done. Or is the amp location too small to fit any aftermarket amp? If you know the way to open up the cup holder to expose the amp, please let me know.

What I am looking for is a cheap way to improve the sound and the bass volume without going though a car stereo shop.

Many Thanks,

Dr. Duan

·
Registered
738 Posts
Dr. Duan said:
From reading the previous messages, I know the Bose sub amp is located above the rear passenger weel. Has anyone tried to use an aftermarket amp to directly replace this amp so that it will be a bit more powerful (~100 watts @ 4 ohm) and does not require new wirings to be done. Or is the amp location too small to fit any aftermarket amp? If you know the way to open up the cup holder to expose the amp, please let me know.

What I am looking for is a cheap way to improve the sound and the bass volume without going though a car stereo shop.

Many Thanks,

Dr. Duan
I typed a long explanation and then the internet connection froze when I tried to submit it. I've done this and so here's the short version; as you move along the process I can provide more details. Before you start taking apart your car, though, I suggest you obtain a factory service manual.

1. No you can't access the Bose sub amp from the flip up armrest. You must remove the entire rear quarter trim panel (yes, its very large) and it entails removing the third row seats and storage lid.

2. Yes, there is plenty of room to fit a small mono-amp (maybe up to 6" x 9")

3. You will still need to run a power wire from the front of the car as the stock power wire is only 18-20 gauge (the amp, sans plastic case, is about the size of a double stack of playing cards).

4. Before you buy a replacement sub, be prepared to make a spacer ring of 3/4" MDF (bookshelving works) to accomodate the shallow depth.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get a lot of help on this board as you go forward.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for your long post.

Gee, that seems like a lot of work and require quite a bit of skills. Plus, removing it only gets you a 6x9 opening AND you still have to run a power wire. I was thinking of puting in a 100 ~150 watt amp and that needs about that much of an opening. Also, there must be some space for heat dissipation. I think I'll leave it as is. I'll see how my new 10 inch BOSS sub sound with the stock amp when it arrives this weekend. If it is not good, then I'll just use the stock sub.

I did remove the stock sub last night and noticed that there is quite a bit of space behind the sub. It is not deep but there are spaces all around the sub, extending all the way to the back of the car. There is a about 10 inch square pad at the back of the sub which I think it is not enough. I plan to first use the Dynamat to treat the surfaces inside and then add enough sound absorbing materials to tighten up the bass.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You could easily put the amp under the front seats as well. Blaupunkt (did I spell that right?) has a new seies of Digital amps that make very little heat and require very little space. Check em out.

I put my amps in the head rest storage and tossed the headrests in the attic.

BTW you do not need to pull the seats out to get the back panel off to get to the factory sub amp. We pulle dmine off a few weeknds back when we built a fiberglass box in the factory location.

Might just want to pay some stero pros to do the install. It woudl be worth the few extra bucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
mig
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing