Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
<O:p</O:p
I'm new to this forum and found it very useful so far so thank you all for that.

I just recently bought a 2012 MDX and went to check the engine oil level but the dip stick seems to be stuck. At first, I wasn’t even able to turn it in its tube. I managed to unstick it but still can’t pull it out.<O:p</O:p
Any suggestions? Has this ever happened to anyone?<O:p</O:p

Thanks<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
When you say it's unstuck but can't pull it out....does that mean it just comes out part way or ?? I've heard some folks complain about pulling these out before. Between the position and perhaps a dried out o-ring it might take some extra effort to yank it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say it's unstuck but can't pull it out....does that mean it just comes out part way or ?? I've heard some folks complain about pulling these out before. Between the position and perhaps a dried out o-ring it might take some extra effort to yank it out.
At first is was completely stuck and couldn't rotate it inside the tube. Then I managed to get it to turn inside the tube but can't pull it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same issue on my '12 MDX when I first got it earlier this year. It will take some force to get it out the first time but it will come.

I lubed the o-rings and the inside of the rusty dipstick tube with some engine oil after I finally removed it and now it comes out with considerably less force. You can also replace the o-rings on the dipstick with some silicone ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After trying to remove the dipstick with more force, I actually broke the plastic handle and now was faced with a broken dipstick stuck inside the dipstick tube.

Here's how I managed to remove it.

Step1: Drill a small hole in the plastic of the broken dipstick. It's important not to press too hard as you will just wedge the dipstick deaper. It's aslo important not to go through the plastic as this will make débris fall into the engine.

Step 2: Using a Dremel tool or some sandpaper, clean the edge of the metal tube. The rust that was created on the edge is actually what was preventing the dipstick to be pulled out. Once this has been cleaned, use an air hose to blow all the dust and debris that accumulated inside the tube.

Step 3: Insert a screw that has a slightly larger thead than the hole you've drilled. Try to use a long screw (2" or more) as this will make it easier to grab and pull. Once again, try not to press too hard on the dipstick as it will lodge itself deaper.

Step 4: Spray some lubricant on the dipstick and pull on the screw. It should come out fairly easy.

Step 5: You'll obviously have to buy a new dipstick. The correct part number is 15650-RCA-A02. Lube the o-rings and insert the new dipstick.

I hope this is helpful. Please note that I'm not a professional and this might not be the best way to do it but it worked for me and I thought I would share.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts