Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to start a new thread the other day and screwed up somehow, so, I’ll take another shot at it today. I’m referring to towing the X behind a motor coach, and wondering if anyone on the forum, or a dealer, has any experience with doing this?

We’re “snowbirds” and have a 40 ft Blue Bird Wanderlodge. When spend our winters in the Palm Springs, Las Vegas, and Phoenix area. Since we retired in ’95 we’ve towed a ’97 and then a ’99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited behind our coach for transportation. Prior to the Jeeps (and the motor coach) we owned a Lexus LS400 and a Porsche 928. While the Jeep is an ok vehicle we’re accustom to considerably better quality. To be fair I should point out that we do some off road stuff and the Jeep is the best when it comes to this activity. Spend a lot of time off road in Death Valley and the Jeep was great, we ran with a group of other SUV’s and the others just can’t come close to it, off road.

Anyway, we had such good luck with our LS400 (owned it for 7 years and NEVER had it back for unscheduled service) that I tried very hard to get Lexus to ok towing the LX470, no luck. Many of our friends tow the 470 and none have had a problem, but, they risk voiding their warranty and I’m just not willing to do that. For one year Lexus ok’d towing the RX300 and had some major transmission problems. It appears this experience has scared them off. Took the 470 home for a day, it’s truly a great vehicle and solid as a bank vault, but, no warranty if you tow it.

Anyway once we found out that Acura ok’d towing the X we placed an order as soon as we got back home this past spring.

So, the question to the forum and the dealers, has anyone had experience with towing the X? We have a friend in Vegas that has towed an ’02 for a year with no problems. Just for reference the owners manual for the X states that the X can be towed at speeds up to 65 mph and for an unlimited distance. Jeep on the other hand is ok’d for any speed and any distance. Towing the Jeep is really easy, you put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in Park, turn the key to the first stop, hook it up and tow it away.

Looking forward to any information that's out there.

Lance

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Towing (all 4 wheels on the ground) is OK as long as you follow ALL the instructions, including "prep for towing " at least once every 8 hours (p.238, '02 Owner's Manual), and the 65mph MAX speed. Haven't tried it myself, as I have no need to tow.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New '03 transmission

The post indicate that the '03 has a new transmission. Does anyone know if this will affect the "towablility"?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: New '03 transmission

Lance Crowley said:
The post indicate that the '03 has a new transmission. Does anyone know if this will affect the "towablility"?
Good question but my guess is the 03 towing ability will be the same as the 01-02.

From a previous post a letter from Acura in MotorHome magazine concerning towing:

"If an MDX customer requests any additional information, they should contact Acura Client Services at (800) 382-2238"
Mike Nitz
American Honda
Torrance, California"

Let us know what you find out about the 03.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts