Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
cardingtr said:
Got this from auto.com..Digital Radio . Sounds promising considering it's free.
It's just a matter of time. As techonlogy marches on and older analog equipment used for broadcasting becomes more obsolete, it will be replaced by digital in more areas, also making it more affordable and reliable in the long run.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
FWIW -- The chief engineer at the FM station I work part-time at says that the system (called IBOC) will cause much more interference between nearby adjacent-channel (or 2nd adjacent) stations (those within .2 or .4 MHz of the station you want to listen to). Normal analog FM has little in the way of sidebands; IBOC depends on them.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
frostyra said:
FWIW -- The chief engineer at the FM station I work part-time at says that the system (called IBOC) will cause much more interference between nearby adjacent-channel (or 2nd adjacent) stations (those within .2 or .4 MHz of the station you want to listen to). Normal analog FM has little in the way of sidebands; IBOC depends on them.
Interesting. Does he think the problem can be resolved?
It seems it would have to be, or else they either can the system, or will have to investigate specific locations to prevent interference. That could be a nightmare.
Maybe more ammo for the satellite folks.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Well, it's here. Anybody had a chance to sample it yet ?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I still don't see it as real competition for satellite radio, most if not all of my customers looking in to sat radio are looking at the absence of commercials more so than sound quality. The "digital FM" will likely carry the same content including commercials. After all, someone has to pay for it, wether it is the sat radio customer paying a subscription or the advertisers buying up commercial time.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
04mdx4sq said:
I still don't see it as real competition for satellite radio, most if not all of my customers looking in to sat radio are looking at the absence of commercials more so than sound quality. The "digital FM" will likely carry the same content including commercials. After all, someone has to pay for it, wether it is the sat radio customer paying a subscription or the advertisers buying up commercial time.
Not competition ? Now that's good stuff. I bet that's what the satellite reps are saying. This really isn't about sound but about adding in sidecasts, audio on demand, navi traffic info and data streaming. More "sub-frequencies" means more tweaking of programming to different demographics and better targeted reach for advertisers. The number of commercials could go down even more. Best of all, it's free free free.

Stations are converting at a rate just over 1 per day. The first receivers will be in Cadillacs this summer. Lots of manufacturers to follow with '06 model years. By then the top 100 markets will have most stations broadcasting with the IBOC technology.

·
Registered
529 Posts
nightguy said:

The number of commercials could go down even more. Best of all, it's free free free.

I'm sure all of this will stay free, as that is how business' make money. Last time I checked, broadcasting companies still like to make a buck here and there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts