Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody please tell me how many different fluids need to be changed in a 2004 MDX.
Over the years I have had Front & Rear Diff fluids changed, and also Transfer case fluid. Is the transfer case the same as the Front differential or are these 3 separate units. I can never seem to get a straight answer from any of the 3 different dealers (because of moves) about this-I just had the Rear diff fluid changed, but they said the Front was ok and didn't mention the Transfer case.
I appreciate any information.Thanks

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Transfer Case was a shared Unit I believe in the 2001-2002 1G MDX so it shared fluid with the Transmission.. IIRC In 2003 and up they sealed it off and thus it needs its own separate fluid.

Just a side note: There isn´t any "Front Diff Fluid" as the front of the MDX is a Transaxle style system (Transmission and Axle together) the Front Differential gets lubricated by the transmission fluid so in order to change the "Front Diff Fluid" they had to replace the transmission fluid.

The Transfer Case needs less than 1 quart of 80W-90 Gear Oil GL4 or GL5 Rated (OEM Fluid is Honda HGO-1 Part No. 08200-9014).. As per Honda maintenance the Transfer Case fluid gets changed at every Transmission Fluid change (Ergo: every 30K for Both).

I personally used Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 for my 2nd gen transfer case which is full synthetic (Vs Dino oil for OEM) and a little bit thinner which should marginally help with MPGs.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
3 Fluids:
1.- ATF DW-1 for Trans (Which Lubricates the front diff)
2.- Transfer Case (HGO-1 or equivalent)
3.- Rear Differential (VTM-4 Fluid)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts