Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a VTM oil change myself, I was able to remove the filler bolt but the drain bolt torque is too tight, do I need a special power tool to remove it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try to use a plastic/soft head hammer to carefully hit your wrench to open it. That's what I saw they did at shop to open mine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Lucky You

Some people find the differentail fill bolt too tight after succesfully removing the drain bolt. (Not MDX specific)
:2:

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
do I need a special power tool to remove it?
My arm...

It's not for sale.

Get a longer ratchet.

Rob

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You might able to bring to an auto shop. I brought mine to GoodYear with my own fluid.... they charged $10 to perform the service.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Solid,

No need to bring the MDX to a shop for this simple procedure. You may want to use a piece of pipe over the ratchet handle when attempting to loosen the drain plug. This will provide a longer handle for increased leverage, and will make it easy for you to remove the drain plug. This trick always works for me.

Of course, you should not use this setup to tighten the plug. Rather, a torque wrench with the proper setting (33 lbf-ft per owner's manual) should be used.

Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I brought it to the dealer and had them replaced the VTM oil for me, they charged me $30.00 for the labor, the parts(oil & washer) is mine. The service is good at Oakland Acura.

I think it's nice to bring it to the dealer so if anything happens, it will be covered under warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts