Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I read through the impressions of the 2014 Acura by many on this forum my take away is less about the car and more about how different we all are. ;-)

Many of you have been MDX owners (duh - this is an Acura MDX forum), have grown to like certain things about your current MDX and have developed certain expectations about what the next model would be.

Others of you may have been hoping to see Acura continue the "luxury" nature of these vehicles and hoped they would move even closer to MB or Audi or Lexus.

Others of you have very specific needs in terms of not only cargo space volume but also the dimensions.

For me - as yet another unique example - I came from Lexus where I had more wood and leather but had a tendency to cringe when I took my RX350 off the pavement. Yes, I had nice wood cover over the drink holders but the center console storage space was meager. I loved that vehicle on my long road trips but if I put my mind to it there were LOTs of things that would bug me. The way it took control of my iPad/iPhone. The XM-based traffic information. The limited storage space. Even silly little things like no overhead, flip-down compartment for my sunglasses. (I point that out because it shows how the little things can bother us.) Did I have a wood steering wheel on my Lexus. Sure. And I found myself obsessing over the nicks and marks it would get from rings and such.

Some of you might be happier in a Mercedes Benz. It may feel more solid or "heavier" or more luxurious. I looked closely at them. Cost is not really an issue for me. But, for me, I didn't like the interior experience. To be honest I have always felt this way about the German made cars. It just has never felt right to me. For a fleeting moment I even thought I should go with an MB or a BMW because of the badge. So that when I drove around and people saw me in an MB they would think, "Oh, he must be important or successful or wealthy." Then I smacked myself in the head and remembered the idiocy of that thinking. I have never liked the "feel" of the German cars beyond a test drive. But, again, that is me - not you or necessarily anyone else.

What about the Range Rover? I was very intrigued with the Range Rover Sport. After all, I have seen a significant increase in the number of these in affluent neighborhoods so they much be awesome vehicles, right? And they do have some very cool features. But I place a high value on reliability records and Land Rover has a long way to go. Maybe next time around.

What about the larger Lexus (the G-series). Side opening rear door? Really? They need to replace that whole line.

Land Cruiser/LX570? Had a Land Cruiser about 8 years ago. Loved it. But Toyota hasn't really kept up with technology. And the interior needs a major overhaul. Maybe next time.

All these vehicles are different and will appeal to different people. Every new vehicle is going to introduce new stuff and leave out other stuff.

For me, the new MDX is much closer to what I want than the prior model was. It is less Lexus - which is good for me. (Less of the "delicate" luxury feel and more of the practical, functional feel. Our children called my RX350 a "Sissy Utility Vehicle". Of course they drive 4Runners.) I feel like I can get the MDX dirty. I love the tech - but I am an IT person so it doesn't frustrate/intimidate me as it will others. Are there a number of things I wish they had done differently? Like orienting the Nav display so it was friendlier with polarized sunglasses? Sure. Do I wish it had adjustable suspension? Do I wish I had more voice command control over the iPod/iPhone? Do I wish it had automatic high beams (this was a very useful feature on my RX350)? Do I wish the steering wheel were more "tacky"? Yes to all the above. But can I live without those things to get all the stuff my RX350 didn't have? For me a resounding YES. BUT, that is ME.

I have moved to Acura with this vehicle. Some will move away and try other vehicles. This is all GOOD! We have choices.

Enjoy. And if any of you DO decide to go with this vehicle and have questions or insights on how to use it - post away.

Dan

·
Registered
490 Posts
Dan - excellent points, and you're spot-on that everyone seems to end up with their choices (whether it be an MDX or something else) based on different needs.

For me, I own a "base" 2013 MDX - a "stripper" of sorts. I don't need a rear DVD. I don't often use the navigation. I use bluetooth for music, but added it pretty easily. For me, the single reason that I personally bought the '13 MDX is that it was an affordable SUV that was comfortable, had a level of luxury, and was a freakin' hot rod. :cool:

Anyone who has ever driven a Ford Freestyle knows that while it's a mountain goat in the winter, its 3.0L 6 cyl with a CVT and Haldex AWD is anything but fast and sporty, and when bicycles start passing you on the road, you start to question your decision. After my wife got her TL, I harkened back to my much younger days of driving "muscle cars", and thought the 3.7L w/SH-AWD in her TL was about as close as I was gonna come in something that worked in NH year-round and offered something comfortable for my older bones.

When I was able to get into the MDX and get something relatively close to her TL in terms of driveability - while still giving me the hauling room for the family and the stuff I need to carry from time to time - I was hooked. I'm one of those wacky few who is perfectly content with a 2nd gen "stripper" - and while I appreciate the new designs in the '14 MDX (and would perhaps like a few more MPG's in my '13) - am having zero buyers remorse with having got my '13 when and how I did.

As you said, Dan - "different strokes" - and for me, I love slinging my lightly optioned MDX around on a daily basis :29:

andy

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you, Andy. It can be tough to find a vehicle that has the best fit of what we want/need. There are always trade offs. And new models are not always "better" where "better" is in the eye of the beholder. For me the 2014 was a significant improvement over my RX350 in terms of functionality and driving experience albeit at a loss of some "luxury". But next time around it may be different - and I may be different. ;-)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good post ... I love the way the MDX drives and rides and it looks decent (2014). The problem I have is that I want the tech features but after adding accessories to make the intentionally blank looking MDX "nice" (all my opinion of course) my MSRP is $60,600+ plus whatever the dealer tries to tag me for regarding labor for accessories.

Now I'm thinking ... Not too far from a BMW X5 on Mercedes ML ... But with a lot less luxury and perception of luxury (branding). Then I realize (slap myself as you say) and realize I don't really care about that much (I must at least a little or wouldn't be considering the MDX).

Maybe I should just get the Tech package and be happy but I'd really like the features in the advance ... Also not as much of a fan of the Tech rims. To be honest the base rims look most aesthetically pleasing to me.

Money is not really an option but +$60k for an Acura MDX has me scratching my head a bit. My main problems with the car include ...

- the navigation and center LCD all just look and operate a but clunky to me ... and they're still using that cheap sounding beep (that I know I can turn off). Just doesn't scream luxury car ... even though I like the sporty nature of the car it screams minivan in the center stack.
- no power folding mirrors (not a huge deal but fairly standard at this price)
- ventilated not cooled front seats (reports from others make me think this will be OK)
- the wood looks real cheap ... wish we could get the open pore nice wood that's offered in the top package in Canada. I actually wish there was an aluminum trim package.

I like/love ...

- the ride and handling
- seat comfort
- space
- car like feel
- the dash gauges
- fuel economy

Not sure what we'll do ... Waiting to look at Infiniti QX60 hybrid (formerly JX) and maybe check out the X5 when it arrives. Our original choice was the Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel but it keeps getting pushed back and the others just ride so much better. The MSRP of $55,000 had me thinking there were a lot better cars just above that price. We didn't really need a truck and test driving the Acura proved the night and day difference in ride that we felt we couldn't go back to the Jeep. I had an 07 MDX Sport and enjoyed it previously.

Thanks for everyone's input on these forums ... It certainly helps!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I bought an 05 new, it has 90,000 miles now and it's still a great vehicle. I really want a new one, but I have no good excuse. This Acura has been basically trouble-free, is the perfect size (big enough to be comfortable and haul the occasional kids w/friends, but not SUV huge), has luxuries but not afraid to get dirty, was technologically advanced at the time (although I'm dying for Pandora and a decent iPhone interface), and still looks good (even with a few dents and dings from city living). It drives smooth but has power, and people think I'm crazy when i say i want a new one (this is not a car-obsessed area).

For me, Acura is the right mix of luxury without pretension. Unlike some of you, budget is an issue for us (being a small business owner coming out of a tough recession), but Acura has always offered incredible value and common sense practicality. It would be a stretch to afford a new one, but I know I will gets years of enjoyment out of it and it will be low maintenance in every way.

So can I get a new one?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts