Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new '03 sandstone touring/RES a couple of days back, replacing an '01 I'd been driving since Nov. '00. Many things struck me as different between the two models. I'm sure many of my observations are not unique to the '03, rather things that may have been changed/upgraded in the 2002 model year. Regardless, I'll throw out some thoughts (in no particular order):

1) Immediately liked the sandstone color. It looks nothing like the brochure sample. It is darker than I expected.
2) The leather seats are softer.
3) The front center armrest is much improved. There is a thicker leather cover rather than the harder version in the '01.
4) The RES wireless headphones are bigger than I'd expected. They're not uncomfortable, just large. As other posts have mentioned, they don't work when you get more than a couple of feet from the unit. (i.e. won't work in the front seat or even a half foot outside of the car.)
5) The audio system is much improved from the base '01 I'm used to. I know there is criticism of the system from some of the audiophiles on this site, but to me the control unit and eight speakers are more than satisfactory.
6) The audio system, specifically the controls for the RES are not totally intuitive, but once learned very easy to manipulate.
7) I like being able to switch audio source from the steering wheel controls although the layout change from the '01 does take a little getting used to.
8) The engine noise into the cabin is nearly non-existent. At idle I've found myself looking at the tach to confirm its running.
9) No squeaks or rattles present in the first 800 miles. Wind noise is reduced over the '01 but still a bit more than I'd like.
10) As Acura indicates in their promotional materials, the body is stiffer than before. This is very noticeable....car feels much more solid especially in turns.
11) No caliper noise when using the brakes for the first time after reversing. This 'clanking' noise has been described in other posts. I'd learned to live with it in my '01, but was pleasantly surprised when I didn't hear that in the new model. Of course, this didn't start happening in my '01 for a few thousand miles, so stay tuned.
12) I was initially neutral on the rain-sensing wipers...wasn't sure I'd really care for this feature. After seeing them work, I think this is a great feature.
13) I was initially high on automatic headlights, but after seeing them work, not sold on them. During my road trip, I would turn them on manually on undivided two-lane highways. I've also been turning them on manually in Denver during the day as we've had some cloudy skies with light flurries. Bottom line, I'd prefer daytime running lights...seems I've been doing the lights manually for two days so the automatic lighting isn't really doing much for me.
14) Picture on the RES is great. Disk is loaded in DVD player installed in what used to be storage space behind the shifter, below the audio unit. No biggie, but some storage space lost there.
15) Floormats are much higher quality than on the '01...much thicker.
16) Hadn't thought of this, but when the RES screen is down, it ends up right in the middle of the view from the rearview mirror.
Not a big deal.
17) RES comes with two headphones, a remote control, and a demo disk.
18) VSA has a light on the dashboard which flashes when the unit is activated.
19) Although I've tried to fishtail a bit on the snow to get this to go on (the VSA system), the Cross Terrains won't allow it. Ok, it's a new car and I'm not pushing it too hard, but still as someone who's put 38K miles on the Goodyears, I can tell you that the Michelins handle better and have better traction. Not sure they cut down on road noise.
20) The auto up feature on the driver's window is a nice feature.
21) Touring wheels are better than they seem in the brochure. I've seen this comment elsewhere and it is true.
22) New 'wood' trim is ok...different (lighter) than the '01...nothing too striking, just a change.

I know there's a bunch of things that have crossed my mind that I've missed. Will throw them out later. Interested to hear from others who have an '03 and can compare to an '01 or '02.

·
Registered
91 Posts
lsbuffs - why?

lsbuffs,

Just curious as to why you replaced the 01 with the 03. Was there a problem with the 01 or did you just wanted the new features.

If it was the latter, then it sounds like you got what you wanted.

thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually the '01 is still in the family. My wife is now driving it, replacing her '95 Saab 900S. So we're a two MDX family. I'm still getting used to the sight of two MDXs side-by-side in the garage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thhanks for that great Comparison. Just a small Q : Do you have any space left in the garage after parking those to MDXs.?

KE

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KEPILOT said:
Thhanks for that great Comparison. Just a small Q : Do you have any space left in the garage after parking those to MDXs.?

KE
Nope, no space left! Since taking delivery of the new '03 Tuesday, this weekend's top priority has been to clean the garage. It's definitely a tight fit and takes extra care to make sure we're not dinging each other's doors.

·
Registered
699 Posts
lsbuffs said:

Nope, no space left! Since taking delivery of the new '03 Tuesday, this weekend's top priority has been to clean the garage. It's definitely a tight fit and takes extra care to make sure we're not dinging each other's doors.
That's why they come with sunroofs -- so you can still get out when you park two side-by-side in the garage!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Lsbuffs:

___Owning 2 X’s has got to be a first! With that, it does prove to me how much you and your wife must like the MDX. I never thought of it before but if you own a vehicle that both of you love to drive, is a great value vs. other Luxury/non-Luxury SUV’s, is a great value vs. basically any other Luxury automobile, why not own 2 … Lucky you :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi lsbuffs. Thanks for the great comparison. My father in law has an 02 and I am anxious for the Pi##ing contest to begin. :D . My 03 should be here in the beginning of December. I tease him that me getting an 03 MDX is like the Visa commercials: Cost of an 03 MDX: $41000. Cost of having one a little better than his: Priceless.

The one thing I was hoping for in your comparison but didn't see was how the performance (acceleration etc.) compares.

Could you supply me with some ammunition for my upcoming battle?

Thanks and enjoy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
xcel said:
Hi Lsbuffs:

___that both of you love to drive, is a great value vs. other Luxury/non-Luxury SUV’s, is a great value vs. basically any other Luxury automobile, why not own 2 … Lucky you :D

'Cause it's BORING to have two of the same vehicles, especially when there is very little real difference between the two. Hell, I DIDN'T buy a 2003 TL-S because even it was too similar to my MDX...so I bought an Infiniti G35 instead.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Re: Headrests

Great review, as I have an '01. Not ready for trade cause the relationship's still going strong.

Since you have both model years, any chance you could pull the front headrest from the '03 and see how it fits on your wife's '01, and if it's worth the comfort and safety whiplash upgrade?
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rottmanj said:

The one thing I was hoping for in your comparison but didn't see was how the performance (acceleration etc.) compares.

Could you supply me with some ammunition for my upcoming battle?

Thanks and enjoy.
Let me first say that I haven't really pushed the new engine too much. That said, there is a difference. Some is seen when starting from a stop through normal driving speeds, but I notice it most at highway speed or just below...the power available at 'passing speed' is much more noticeable.

I'd add that during acceleration, there is a significant absence of engine noise. Acceleration is very smooth, shifting continues to be like butter on the new tranny.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stevo said:

'Cause it's BORING to have two of the same vehicles, especially when there is very little real difference between the two. Hell, I DIDN'T buy a 2003 TL-S because even it was too similar to my MDX...so I bought an Infiniti G35 instead.
You're right...it is without a doubt a bit boring to have two of the same vehicles. I did consider that, but in the end would rather have my wife in a quality, reliable car that I know has been well cared for than sell it for less than I think it is worth and pick up another used car that may end up being troublesome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Headrests

gto-dave said:
Great review, as I have an '01. Not ready for trade cause the relationship's still going strong.

Since you have both model years, any chance you could pull the front headrest from the '03 and see how it fits on your wife's '01, and if it's worth the comfort and safety whiplash upgrade?
Thanks
Good question. I'll check it out this weekend and let you know.

·
Registered
570 Posts
lsbuffs said:

You're right...it is without a doubt a bit boring to have two of the same vehicles. I did consider that, but in the end would rather have my wife in a quality, reliable car that I know has been well cared for than sell it for less than I think it is worth and pick up another used car that may end up being troublesome.
AGREE TOTALLY! I /WE plan on doing the same thing, for some of the same reasons. My one question is, is the Sandstone darker than the Mesa Beige then? That's what I said when I saw those 2 people who bought one & had the salesman take that pic & was posted here. My wife said it was "just the lack of sun shining on it". I think I'm going w/ a darker color, like SageBrush Pearl, but gota see in person first. Thanks:4:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lrpba300,

Yes, Sandstone is definitely darker than Mesa Beige. Much more brown-ish where the Mesa is more gold-ish.

I'd take a picture if my car wasn't so filthy from this crappy weather we've been having here:)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I know. It's been here 2 for 4 days now. Can't even wash the "X". I'm going down to the Acura dealer here to see some of the '03 X's new colors. Maybe they have a Sandstone there to compare to! :4:

·
Registered
470 Posts
RES question

lsbuffs:
Thanks for the great info! :29: Keep it coming as you think of more.

Based on your post, it sounds like you got a Touring/RES (no Navi) which is what I'm considering.

#14 in your post states:
Picture on the RES is great. Disk is loaded in DVD player installed in what used to be storage space behind the shifter, below the audio unit. No biggie, but some storage space lost there.

In the brochure, where it talks about RES, it states that "in this configuration, the audio system's 6-disc CD changer is located under the driver's seat."

Is this where the CD changer is located in yours? If so, the question is: if the RES DVD player is located beneath shifter and below the 'normal' audio unit, and the 6-disc changer is under the driver's seat... what's in the dash? A single CD player? Anything?

Am I just confused (likely)?:confused: Is there a difference in the configuration of the DVD/CD components if you get RES and Navi vs. RES only?

I'm trying to get to a dealer and check this out for myself but, I haven't heard (or been notified) that a Touring/RES-only has come in yet.

·
Registered
470 Posts
found an answer in a previous thread

:1pat:
OK.. chalk it up to not searching well enough before posting...
(sorry 'bout that!) :twak:

I found this post that answers my question:

jamiestockman said:
RES & CD Changer,

Some of you have asked what the Changes are to the audio system in order to have the RES...

The 2003 Touring Edition or Touring with navigation only has the same head unit as last year with the CD Changer built into the head unit.

RES Equipped models have a completely different head unit in the dash. It has two screens (one for the audio and one for the RES). There is a single disk player in the head unit and a 6-Disc Changer mounted under the driver's seat. (7 Disc Total) The DVD unit is in front of the shifter. If you have navigation, your MDX will also come with the full color screen in the dash as well and a DVD player for the navigation hiden under the passenger seat. They've definately used every available space...

Hope this helps.

Jamie S.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts