Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not the cat- the MDX.

My wife drove into the garage at 1:30 in the afternoon. At 5:30 it wouldn't start. Click, click, click.. (mind you, not the "failure to start" which has been posted before, but failure to even turn over.)

Jumped it- started right up.

Drove of 1.5 hours, started fine. Parked all night - dead the next day.

My wife jumped it, started up. Took it to the dealer.

Battery needed replacement.

Per the service advisor, "it's not that unusual- lots of time new cars sit on the lot for quite a while".

Well, I wasn't there- my wife was, but I just marvel at the explanation. Keeping in mind that MDX has been backorderd forever, and that I got one of the first on Oct 6. Now I suppose they might have been stockpiling MDX batteries up in Canada for a few years...

Anyway, I'd not seen any posts on dead batteries which needed replacement...

Ard

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Weird. Wonder if the MDX uses the same battery as the Odyssey? If so maybe they gave you the battery from one ... that had been sitting on the shelf for three years ...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Ard,
Never heard of a battery going in less than a year. I had a battery go in my Subaru SVX in one cell after 2 years or so. The battery did not produce enough voltage so the computer chip would not turn the starter over. Did the dealer tell you what the problem was with the battery? And I bet you were in a good mood until this happened!;)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Rem,

Bad in one cell, per the service writer.

Heck, I'm 150 miles away- didn't do anythink to my mood! ;)

Also, from my distant perch, I'm guessing the click, click noise was the solenoid trying to engage- so the computer was not overriding the 'start command'. There just wasn't adequate voltage/current to turn over the motor.

This is definitely the way to service your MDX- via remote!

Ard

Oh, I don't believe for a second that I will emerge from this unscathed- BIG points are owed, per the wife.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Batteries are very temperamental and do have higher infant mortality than other components, as there is some major chemistry going on. Which is why other car companies consider batteries a replacement item like brake pads and are not usually covered under warranties (I'm not sure about Acura, though).
Still, yours went pretty early. Did Acura replace free?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually hadn't even considered the remote possibility that they'd weasel out on a 8 month old battery.

Sure it was free. If not, you'd have been reading about a hostage situation... ;)

I had an Infiniti battey go at 3 years and they replaced it for free (no prorating, this was when they were still trying to catch lexus).

I mean, really, COSTCO sells batteries with 84 month warranties...

Ard

PS The basic problem with batteries is not so much the chemistry being complex, they just can't sit wet for years on end. Once they are filled with acid, they need to be used. If a cell dries out, but is just topped off with fresh water and put in a car, you're hosed. Also, most manufacturers use the cheapest batteries possible.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When my 2-year-old Chrysler's battery died several years ago, I had to pay for it at the dealership. So, when my 2-year-old 3.5RL's battery died about a month ago, I just went straight to Sears and got a new one. (Yes, I know about the used battery scandal, but I am trusting they have learned their lesson; it looked new anyway.)

Maybe an Acura dealer on this forum could let us know Acura's policy on battery replacement. If I could have gotten a free replacement battery, it gives me belated wallet pain.

Oh well, Sears was much more conveniently located and I will assume I got a better battery. At least it will still be warrantied after the car's warranty expires.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey folks, I'm home now-

My wife tells me the dealership was a bit horrified at the life of this particular battery. They actually were surprised it was bad (she thinks they assumed the little woman just left the portable hairdrier plugged in, or some such.)

The new battery they installed is a 'genuine Acura' battery with a 60 month warranty.

Plus it is a MAINTAINABLE BATTERY!! Excellent. Now I can actually top off the DI water as opposed to throwing it away in 3 years when the cells dry out in the maintenance free ones.

Ard

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took delivery of a 2003 MDX with 10 on the odo 6/3. Now, 4 days later with about 80 mile on the odo the car will not turn over... just the c-c-clicking of buyer's remorse.

I'm going to call the dealer and have it picked up... I will probably be looking at the Infiniti FX45/35... more horsepower, better warranty and a few dollars more.

Or, I will just see how badly the dealer wants a 5-star rating. Oh, the 2001 TL I have had the battery go kaput 6/2 after 2 years and that is why I was at the dealer in the first place. I know... the irony of it all is not lost on me.

T.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
piper5 said:

I'm going to call the dealer and have it picked up... I will probably be looking at the Infiniti FX45/35... more horsepower, better warranty and a few dollars more.

T.
Right. Let us know how that return works out!

(I know it was just angry typing)

Ard

Bald- How can you tell an Acura Service Advisor is lying?

His lips move,

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
piper5 said:
... Oh, the 2001 TL I have had the battery go kaput 6/2 after 2 years and that is why I was at the dealer in the first place. I know... the irony of it all is not lost on me.

T.

What a great marketing idea! Program something that has to be fixed at the dealer, just when the new model year is coming out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Followup...

Okay... well, I still have the MDX and after speaking personally with the General Manager, Wayne Wright (probably the easiest 'man in charge' I have ever met) I feel better about the future. He took care of the whole thing personally and with great interest.

He refunded the purchase price of the TL's new battery (he was dismayed that it wasn't done by the New Car GM). The window tinting...FREE!! Since we prepaid cash for the tinting we got a check for that on the spot.

Wayne also made sure that the new battery was load tested and the electrical system checked out. The battery swap was made without the loss of any of our presets!! He also made sure that the source of the problem was researched and it was determined that the original battery had a bad cell.

All in all... he said we could return the vehicle without question if we are, in the least bit, dissatisfied.

Wayne was understanding and I felt he sympathized with our situation. His lack of arrogance was refreshing and this was a rare departure from most of the car dealers I have had to deal with (this is why I have held onto my 1992 4Runner for so long...never left me stranded either!)

Anyway... with the assurances of the GM and the level of effort to make things right I will give the Acura brand a second chance, don't get me wrong...I and mine really DO like the vehicle and really appreciate its value).

Sometimes you get lucky...
Travis Hamilton

1 - 15 of 15 Posts