Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new tire can damage the AWD system if the other three tires are more than 30% worn out. I got this information from cartalk.com. Is this true for mdx as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Yes.

I replace all four if I have to replace any.

You just put new tires on a course or thousand ago, right? I’d say it’s fine to replace just one, in your case.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes.

You just put new tires on a course or thousand ago, right? I’d say it’s fine to replace just one, in your case.

So I am about to replace the puncture tire which only had 5k miles on it and it is in the rear. I hope it will be ok just replacing one tire since the other 3 are still pretty new

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
So I am about to replace the puncture tire which only had 5k miles on it and it is in the rear. I hope it will be ok just replacing one tire since the other 3 are still pretty new.
Assuming minimal tread wear, it should be fine. Do you have a treadwear gauge? If there is no measurable wear then don’t worry about it — as long as the new tire is the same size and tread pattern. If there is 2/32” or greater difference in wear, then I’d replace the tires as a set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have the tire dealer measure the diameter of the old tires and new tire if it concerns you. I did this on a Subaru once and they shaved the new tire slightly to match the other three old ones. Seems crazy, but it was a much cheaper route for me to go at that point. Having said that, I would be surprised if there would be a need for this with only 5000 miles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes.

Does money grow on trees where you live? Jeez. Whole new set of tires is at least $800. Not replacing all four, heck no.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Usually, the manual states to replace all four because of sh-awd. The alternative is to replace two on the same axle if you have one bad tire and always keep that set together when you rotate. This is assuming the new replacement tire treadwear doesn't match the existing older tires. Acura never states what is an acceptable treadwear range you can just purchase one tire. My guess is not to exceed 2/32nd?

I had to do this on my RDX and purchase two tires because of getting a non-repairable flat on one (other tires were less than 7/32). I just ended up leaving the newer set on the fronts longer and eventually the treadwear matched the rears for normal rotations/cross-rotations.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Uh guys, the manual says to do a lot of stuff you don't need to. It's like expiration dates on milk and baby carseats. Come on now. I mean, if I followed the manual then I'd do a full synthetic oil change every 3K miles. We all know you can go 8-10K and still run clean.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Uh guys, the manual says to do a lot of stuff you don't need to. It's like expiration dates on milk and baby carseats. Come on now. I mean, if I followed the manual then I'd do a full synthetic oil change every 3K miles. We all know you can go 8-10K and still run clean
Uh, the manual says follow the MID for oil changes... and the MID does go about 8-10k between oil change recommendations.

So... Acura 1, ConnorTX 0?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Uh, the manual says follow the MID for oil changes... and the MID does go about 8-10k between oil change recommendations.

So... Acura 1, ConnorTX 0?
That last comment wasn't very nice. I've had someone at a dealership tell me that's what the manual says so I guess they made it up. Maybe consider that next time before making a trite comment? We're supposed to be a helpful/nice community bud.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm gonna call BS on the risk of damaging MDX's AWD system with mismatched tires, because of the small difference in diameter. In the past I've had vehicles with less sophisticated AWD/4WD systems where that could have been a concern, but I just don't think it really applies to MDX. There is an open differential at the front end of MDX, so zero risk of excessive load across the front "axle". Rear diff has independent electronically controlled clutch packs on each side, with sensors to tell the system what is going on, so I don't see how there's any real potential for damage there either.

If I were going to worry about anything, I'd worry that if the tires were very mismatched they would have different traction in slippery conditions.

Call me a skeptic, but I think this whole "your car will explode if the tires aren't perfectly matched" thing is a way for tire dealers to boost their sales.

Let the debate begin!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Here is what Acura has to say about it:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I've always rotated and then cross rotated my sh-awd tires every oil change to even out wear. I've had a few non-repairable flats around 1/2-2/3 of the way into my treadwear and always purchased two new tires and placed on the same axle. I've even replaced the donut spares with full size spares because of the differences in width/traction (can't tow, maximize sh-awd, or drive 80mph with donut). My RDX (235/50/18) and MDX (255/50/19) both have same size spare tire size (165/80/17). The sh-awd system can adjust to size differences for a little while. I figure the adjustments generate heat and stress in the system when compensating. If my MDX can handle a donut spare, it should be A-OK if my tires are 1/32nd-3/32nd apart. I figure having different tires at different wear rates and traction levels would be worst of a problem compared treadwear on the same tire.

Maybe leaving the new tire on the driver front postition longer to even out the wear with the other tires might be the way to go for a while since that tire can experience the most wear compared to the other 3 locations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts