Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the 2011 when it was on sale. I've noticed the updates on some local roads, but this weekend I was on the NJ turnpike and I noticed the exit I wanted to take was closer than what the NAV was telling me, so I took it, while making the circle turns to get back on to the highway I noticed how the vehicle symbol was not on a digitized road on the map. So at least that section of the turnpike was not updated on the recent version. I did not bother me at first because I knew the area, but it worries me if I go into a town or place I don't know and this thing is telling me to make turns on roads that no longer exist.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What part of the NJTP were you on? I updated mine with the 2010 DVD and don't recall ever having this happen.

I almost always use the NJTP over the Parkway or smaller highways when visiting family up and down Jersey.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
it worries me if I go into a town or place I don't know and this thing is telling me to make turns on roads that no longer exist.
It's very unusual for roads to "no longer exist". Most of the updates in mapping databases are for newly-constructed roads (especially in new subdivisions), as well as for businesses (like restaurants, gas stations, etc) many of which are opening and closing all the time.

·
Registered
726 Posts
No navigation system is perfect. You always need to consider the possibility that it's giving you bogus directions. It sounds like you may have unrealistic expectations.

Did you report the problem at NAVTEQ's web site so that it can be corrected in one of the next updates?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Don’t know if legitimate error reports find their way into the next update(s)?
I've reported maybe fifty or sixty problems to NAVTEQ since I got my MDX. Most of them did result in updates to the database, although it can take anywhere from a few months to over a year for each one to be processed.

It's also a good idea to check the Tele Atlas web site to see if a problem needs to be reported there, in case your next car's navigation system is based on their database instead.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What part of the NJTP were you on? I updated mine with the 2010 DVD and don't recall ever having this happen.
Exit 12. I think it was when I was re-entering the turnpike.

It's very unusual for roads to "no longer exist". Most of the updates in mapping databases are for newly-constructed roads (especially in new subdivisions), as well as for businesses (like restaurants, gas stations, etc) many of which are opening and closing all the time.
Yes, you're right, I meant to say "Exits that no longer exist". My bad.

No navigation system is perfect. You always need to consider the possibility that it's giving you bogus directions. It sounds like you may have unrealistic expectations.

Did you report the problem at NAVTEQ's web site so that it can be corrected in one of the next updates?
I know they are not perfect, it's expected, I was just a little bit surprised that a major highway was not updated, but another highway and some local roads were.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts