Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lease on my 2nd MDX (2014) is almost up so I went to dealer to sign up for the next 3 year of joy driving. I worked up all the $ so I was there just to sign the documents. Something inside me told me to take the to test drive it, since they did change the transmission and gear selector and oooo - my - god, they killed MDX. It drove HORRIBLE!! the gas response is horribly slow, you hit the gas then MDX tries to move not one, but couple gearS down before it starts accelerating. Horrible

And the gear selector buttons just finished me off, it's confusing, it's no longer ergonomic, super uncomfortable, my hand kept sliding out of hand rest - just HORRIBLE! I used my gear shifter as a palm rest to control the central display. What is wrong with them?? are they not thinking at all??? Why would you do something that WILL NOT attract new people, BUT WILL REPEL your current clients???? This change can only make people NOT to buy it, crazy!!

I walked out of the dealership. Can't believe that is my last MDX

Super sad

·
Registered
314 Posts
LOL, seriously? There are lots of reasons to not like the MDX, but those are pretty minor IMO. If you want better throttle response, sport mode makes the MDX feel about 1000lbs lighter. You would get used to the gear selector in about a week.

But if you love your 2014 that much, just buy it out, they will probably give you a great deal since the 2017 is a minor redesign.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I've driven a 2015 and 2016 back to back a few times now. The first time was back before the transmission software update TSB came out. These last few times were 2015 dealer loaners while my 2016 was being worked on. It exhibited the behavior you spoke of back then, but not after the update. From a stop, the 2016 has actually a bit more pull on the butt dyno after the update. From a roll to accelerate, I have not had the issue you speak of. The 2015 and 2016 accelerate on a roll pretty much the same for me. One thing that comes to mind though, is that ZF designed the 9 speed for European drivers that are used to higher speeds, and my local speeds are 50-55 mph local and 85 mph freeway, so perhaps my driving style here is more well matched for this transmission. I can certainly see the benefits of the 9 gears to stay in the ideal torque range since my wife's 6 speed ZF kind of runs out of breath at the top of each gear, but that has a lot to do with engine pairing as well.

The shifter is really not an issue at all. It's quite intuitive because of the way they shaped the buttons and you don't even need to look at it after getting used to it. If you're coming from some of the other luxury brands, this is far from abnormal now (though I admit they usually put a control mechanism for the screen then right where you hand sits at the end of the center console).

·
Registered
499 Posts
We bought our 2014 lease MDX, did not like the 2016 at all, same reasons. Not sure what we're going to do next vehicle. We have been driving MDXs since 2000!

·
Registered
661 Posts
And the gear selector buttons just finished me off, it's confusing, it's no longer ergonomic, super uncomfortable, my hand kept sliding out of hand rest - just HORRIBLE! I used my gear shifter as a palm rest to control the central display.
I agree - people disagreed with me and attacked me, but it's the truth.

This is why German cars retain the high central tunnel (even the SUV's) and even my new Nissan Maxima (FWD) has the same design - arm rest with a place to rest your palm (even though it's not 'on' the shifter; the whole center console is elevated).

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I agree its not like Acura is innovating..
Mercedes and BMW does not use push button but lets see what other Luxury Brands does not use it shall we:

Audi (Gear Shift)
Maybach (Knob)
Rolls Royce (Knob)
Aston Martin (Turning Wheel)
Lexus (Gear Shift)
Maserati (Gear Shift)
Bugatti (Gear Shift)
Bentley (Gear Shift)
Jaguar (Turning Wheel)

Now lets see whos using Push Button (And its not innovating BTW push button has been around since Chrysler PowerFlite transmission back in the 60s) AFAIK:

Chrysler (Until it replaced by Turning Wheel)
Lincoln
Acura

Yeahhhh not the kind of guys I would like to be associated with.
Cant say much about the transmission in the MDX but the one in the Cherokee (Which is the same) was total bull**** at low speed...

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I class the shifters into three categories these days: 1) traditional gear shift knob, 2) truck/van style steering column pull handle, 3) other. The "other" category carries all these turn dials, push button types, and whatever non-traditional other styles I can't even remember.

For those of us used to driving trucks and vans (and even SUVs), not having a shift knob is not strange by any means. Many American SUVs use the pull handle, as did the early Honda Pilots, and Mercedes was doing this for quite some time on their E class sedans and a few other vehicles. I think even Rolls does this as well, and their execution is like Mercedes with the simple up, mid down, in movements to make things intuitive. For SUVs, some of it had to do with their van roots, where the parents up front would access the back seats through the middle of the front seats instead of getting out to go back and center consoles were stowable. Ultimately, you have some sort of arm rest though to compensate, which our center console pull out accomplishes.

Somewhere along the line, some SUVs evolved or were developed from scratch to have more car like interiors, where the form took priority over function and center consoles were fixed and shift knobs were prevalent. And then now we're seeing more and more use of "other" types, including the turn dials that are sprouting up everywhere through European luxury and ultimately the push buttons you see in Acura/Honda. Of course, you have the really clunky traditional looking (not functioning) gear shift knob in the 14-15 Grand Cherokee that killed our new age Chekhov last week, which was actually built to mimic the way the Mercedes pull handle style but down at the traditional shift knob location and style, perhaps to appease folks with what they're just used to.

But I chalk a lot of the resistance and anger down to just people not liking change. Yes, the traditional shift knob has worked on many, many vehicles for quite some time now. But the move to push buttons, turn dials, and other contraptions can all be understood and become natural with just a bit of time. I have actually had more trouble with the turn dials and pull handles than the push button on the MDX, usually turning too far on the dial in the past (not so much of an issue anymore because most of them put in this hefty click or feedback now, or turning all the way to the right gives you D, all the way left gives you R, and pushing down or on something gives you P), or pulling too far down or too far up on the pull handle to get into the right gear (gotta love when you realize you're one gear too low and it's not your transmission slipping lol). At least on the push buttons, the circle is D or Sequential, the pull is R, P is the foremost button, and N resides on a slant, so you can feel all of this.

By the way, I chalk up most of the Cherokee's 9ZF issues up to the fact that FCA decided to mod the unit and build it themselves rather than just getting it from ZF themselves. We don't nearly have as many issues with it as they do, but it is curious that the TLX has so many more issues with it than the MDX does.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ Nobody is dissing anything but the Push Button style which frankly seems dated and a Downgrade to the conventional Shift lever..

I am all in for a Turning Knob, Specially the ones with slot feedback. Takes around the same room as the push button and feels way better than pushing a button.. Still makes no sense to remove the lever shift, The space it frees its basically not worth the downgrade to a lesser system.

New 4th Gen MDX: Give us a Turning Wheel Knob or a BMW/Merc Style Gear Shift for gods sake.

Acura loved to copy everything the germans did, The only thing it does for itself and it royally ****s up. Oh and BTW I have used this system, I am not speaking from hear say I am speaking from personal use..
I absolutely HATE the push button shift probably as much as I hate wheel mounted paddle shifters (HEAR ME ACURA! Mount that crap in the steering column for ****s sake).

·
Registered
869 Posts
ALL "unconventional" electronic shift controls are under investigation by NHTSB as they may lead to driver confusion due to lack of conformity with the controls of other vehicles, and they lack appropriate feedback. In case you haven't read the news lately, there has been a very high-profile fatality linked to an electronic gear shifter. I suspect there will be legal repercussions.

We have a 2016 Pilot Touring with the ZF 9-speed and the push buttons, which I loathe, and a 2014 MDX with the solid 6-speed and the soothingly familiar and responsive mechanical gear shifter, which I love. It's almost unseemly how much I enjoy that shifter on the few brief occasions that my wife lets me drive her car.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The smooth operation of the MDX gear lever is also a plus on SS.. My TL-S feels heavy and clunky in comparison.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i totally agree with you. the 2014 already sucked big time, i don't know how anyone could classify it as an SUV when it bottoms out that easily, or lacks any form of lockable rear diff. not to mention the worst user interface ever with the laggiest menus of all time... for the 2016 the interface is even worse (shifter buttons) and now the lag has worked its way into the engine and transmission as well. and oh gawd don't even get me started on this new 2017 front design.

MDX: started as a very versatile and capable SUV, is now an overly aggressive looking hearse that isn't particularly great at anything. ok the engine sounds awesome i'll give it that... but the squeaks and rattles coming from the suspension on this 2016 after only 800 miles doesn't. the only thing that saves it for me is the cruise control that can come to a full stop (not anything new but still), for i now look forward to sitting in traffic with it :) can't say i've ever said that before lol

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Bottoms out? Wait you are the guy that vandalized the loaner? Because that is not a negative at all if the car survived that abuse is an actual praise....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bottoms out? Wait you are the guy that vandalized the loaner? Because that is not a negative at all if the car survived that abuse is an actual praise....
i don't know about any vandalism... but it definitely received a "thorough evaluation" :29:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe doing those stunts regularly with a 3 row unibody SUv damaged half of his brain. Feel bad for his parents.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
just feel bad for the next owner. and i do feel bad for anyone who would want a 2014- mdx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does it really matter how other brands are choosing to let you select gears? I went from a VW GTI with a DSG shifter to a 2016 MDX SHAWD (Technology) because I was looking for more room and utility and our family has had excellent service from the four Acuras (2 Integras, one RSX Type S and a TSX) and varied Hondas we have owned. I like Honda's engine and suspension designs and the way they work. I gave the button shifter in the MDX a hard look when we got into it for a test drive but figured I would get used to it in time and I have. A very short period of time at that. I don't miss a shifter stick and knob sticking up out of the center console (although I have nothing against them if the car I want has one). I have had no complaints about the way the 9-speed transmission performs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had no complaints about the way the 9-speed transmission performs.
yes, if all you ever do is drive around in a calm and gentle manner then yes the 9-speed will be totally fine. do anything that the MDX forum would consider outrageous like trying to use the paddles or drive 'sporty' the 9-speed is just awful. takes forever to downshift when you step on the gas, and the ridiculous number of gears means that it takes way too long to get into the right gear when you want to. the downshifts themselves are also just very weird. when you're going down a hill and pull the left paddle you'll momentarily start to accelerate because of how the thing like goes into neutral for like 3 seconds before it can select the next gear.

and it's not like the buttons are difficult to "get used to", but it's not as direct or as nice to use as a simple gear shifter. and it's also stupid that the engine has to be running in order to shift out of park. i will occasionally need to move the mdx out of the way in order to get the LS out of the garage (obviously the much nicer, more comfortable, easier to see out of, more responsive, more reliable, faster, more powerful, more fuel efficient, less ugly, better built, more relaxing, more RWD, and more unique car to use) and with the 2014 i could just pop it in neutral and roll it down the driveway without ever needing to start it. but nooooo.... now the engine has to be running in order to put it in neutral.... and as far as i can tell this 2016 gets even worse mpgs than the 2014 did.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My lease on my 2nd MDX (2014) is almost up so I went to dealer to sign up for the next 3 year of joy driving. I worked up all the $ so I was there just to sign the documents. Something inside me told me to take the to test drive it, since they did change the transmission and gear selector and oooo - my - god, they killed MDX. It drove HORRIBLE!! the gas response is horribly slow, you hit the gas then MDX tries to move not one, but couple gearS down before it starts accelerating. Horrible

And the gear selector buttons just finished me off, it's confusing, it's no longer ergonomic, super uncomfortable, my hand kept sliding out of hand rest - just HORRIBLE! I used my gear shifter as a palm rest to control the central display. What is wrong with them?? are they not thinking at all??? Why would you do something that WILL NOT attract new people, BUT WILL REPEL your current clients???? This change can only make people NOT to buy it, crazy!!

I walked out of the dealership. Can't believe that is my last MDX

Super sad
Get the Volvo XC90. Like a Boss.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
i do feel bad for anyone who would want a 2014- mdx
I have a 2014 MDX and it's been a great vehicle - I'd gladly repeat the purchase in hindsight. Luckily I got one that some dolt didn't trash by trying to jump it.

Some of us have more knowledge of vehicles and know and but what we want. I know that the 3rd gen MDX isn't meant to go offroading/4-wheeling, not because it bottoms out if someone jumps it and not due to the lack of a rear locker, but because it lacks the ground clearance, dual range transfer case, skid plates, and other functions necessary for offroading. I also know that 'no' stock SUV, even a Jeep, Toyota LC, Range Rover, etc. should ever be jumped or else damage will likely occur. Certainly the previous gen MDX was incapable of offroading as well. These offroad capable production vehicles aren't built the same as the highly customized, non-roadable, vehicles used on the Baja 500 and the like. If I wanted to go offroading I'd have bought something other than the MDX but the MDX is a great fit for many uses and is a good vehicle. Maybe someday when you spend your own money for such a vehicle you'll put some thought into which attributes you really want for the particular use you'll have for it. If you really want a production SUV for offroading I suggest looking at Jeep, Toyota, and just a handful of other models. Most of the "SUV" models today aren't appropriate for offroading but they're useful and desirable for the way many people use them, which excludes offroading.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts