Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I DROVE SEVERAL DEMOS AND THEY WERE ALL FINE. I DECIDED TO PURCHASE 2003 X STILL WRAPED IN PLASTIC AND NOT READY FOR TEST DRIVE UNTIL THE DAY AFTER (11 27). I WENT TO FINALIZE THE DEAL AND NOTED THE FUEL TANK BANG AND GAS SLOSHING WITH EVERY STOP. AFTERWARDS I WENT FOR A RIDE WITH SERVICE ADVISOR AND GENERAL MANAGER WHO ADMITED THE PROBLEM.TO DETECT IT YOU HAVE TO STOP THE CAR ABRUPTLY , HOLD YOUR FOOT ON BRAKE AND LISTEN. THE X HAD A FULL TANK OF GAS. I WILL NEED TO GO BACK ON FRIDAY AND BECAUSE I DID NOT TAKE THE DELIVERY. I HOPE THEY WILL FIX IT BY THEN OR I WILL HAVE TO CHOOSE ANOTHER ONE. DID ANYONE FIND THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
there is no solution/fix to the gas tank slosh; it is inherent in the design.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's not bad! You get used to it and never hear it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I hear it at times...

When the tank is 3/4 full, I can hear the sloshing sound if I abruptly brake. Really doesn't both me though. Seems to be a fairly common issue with the MDX.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Put a baby and a pre-schooler in the car ... you will wish the only thing you could hear was the gas tank slosh :D :D.

Even without my little noise makers I have never heard the slosh on my '02.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ms. Mdx said:
Put a baby and a pre-schooler in the car ... you will wish the only thing you could hear was the gas tank slosh :D :D.

Just kind of a side question for Ms. MDX...

How do your car seats fit into the X? I have a baby and preschooler as well who will be accompanying me and am curious to know how well the back seat accommodates the two types of car seats! Any suggestions as to a good booster that is easy for the preschooler to BUCKLE THEMSELVES in this car??? Thanks in advance for any input!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ms. Mdx said:

It was not just a slosh. It came with some type of bang. My first impression was that there was something floating in the tank bouncing against the walls or the tank is hitting the body as fuel inside moved around. I was able to estaglish from previous postings that some people have this problem and some don't. I hope to buy my mdx w/o extra bang.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
My Theory On The Sloshing Tank.

The sloshing tank is a frequently mentioned feature of the MDX and I had not heard it for the first five months I owned my MDX. I even tried driving around without the stereo on and still could not hear it.

Then after reading another poster say that the tank had to be almost full I tried the following: Turned off stereo, tank was almost full, went to a back road, and hit the brakes real hard and sure enough I could hear it slosh. Tried it again and hit the brakes hard and just before it stopped I hit the gas real hard---it sloshed on braking and again on acceleration. Not a loud noise but you could hear it.

Bottom line---my tank does not slosh at all with the way I normally drive. If I have to brake that hard to make it slosh it will be because of an emergency.

If someone is hearing it slosh all the time they would have to be really driving the X hard. Frequent abrupt braking and extreme rapid acceleration. Maybe the rush and hustle of the big city makes this necessary or maybe they just have bad driving habits.
Drivers with frequently sloshing tanks probably get very poor gas mileage.

IMHO if the tank sloshes all the time it's time to slow down, smell the roses and enjoy the scenery.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I'll post this again:

The 72.2-litre, saddle-shaped fuel tank is moulded of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) for low weight, freedom from corrosion, and impact resistance. It's positioned immediately ahead of the rear wheels and over the propeller shaft to guard against collision damage. Corners of the tank are rounded and the inside of the tank is baffled to diminish the likelihood of sloshing-fuel noise. The HDPE filler pipe and fuel lines are light, not susceptible to corrosion, and resistant to fuel vapour losses. A high-efficiency fuel pump is housed inside the fuel tank. The fuel-filter is a lifetime design that never needs replacement.

MDX complies with all evaporative emissions, on-board diagnostics and refuelling vapour recovery requirements. The fuel vapour canister and filter are rubber mounted for noise isolation and are protected against rock and debris damage by a deflection shield.

:bonk: :whip:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
BOGHAR wrote:
I HOPE THEY WILL FIX IT BY THEN OR I WILL HAVE TO CHOOSE ANOTHER ONE. DID ANYONE FIND THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?
Don't hold your breath on the "fix", problem has been there since first 01 and Acura has yet to do anything about it.

Soooo, decide to live with it and buy the X or buy someother vehicle 'cause "it ain't going away".

Such is life .... know it is stupid, but Acura must have its reasons .... though for the life of me I don't know what they are

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
srpbep said:

Don't hold your breath on the "fix", problem has been there since first 01 and Acura has yet to do anything about it.

This is not a problem for most of the posters here IMHO.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BaldEagle said:
This is not a problem for most of the posters here IMHO.
DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE IT OR IT DOES NOT BOTHER YOU?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
BOGHAR said:

DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE IT OR IT DOES NOT BOTHER YOU?
I mean that 80% of posters on this site responding to the "Does Your Gas Tank Slosh" poll either never have heard it, rarely hear it, or ocassionaly hear it and it's no big deal.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8309

To hear it all the time you must really be driving the X hard IMHO.

Extreme abrupt stops with an almost full tank are when it is noticeable, for me I can't imagine driving like that all the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BOGHAR said:
I DROVE SEVERAL DEMOS AND THEY WERE ALL FINE. I DECIDED TO PURCHASE 2003 X STILL WRAPED IN PLASTIC AND NOT READY FOR TEST DRIVE UNTIL THE DAY AFTER (11 27). I WENT TO FINALIZE THE DEAL AND NOTED THE FUEL TANK BANG AND GAS SLOSHING WITH EVERY STOP. AFTERWARDS I WENT FOR A RIDE WITH SERVICE ADVISOR AND GENERAL MANAGER WHO ADMITED THE PROBLEM.TO DETECT IT YOU HAVE TO STOP THE CAR ABRUPTLY , HOLD YOUR FOOT ON BRAKE AND LISTEN. THE X HAD A FULL TANK OF GAS. I WILL NEED TO GO BACK ON FRIDAY AND BECAUSE I DID NOT TAKE THE DELIVERY. I HOPE THEY WILL FIX IT BY THEN OR I WILL HAVE TO CHOOSE ANOTHER ONE. DID ANYONE FIND THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?
THANK YOU ALL FOR RESPONSES. I WENT BACK TO THE DEALER TODAY TEST DROVE PREVIOUSLY PICKED ACURA AGAIN (THIS TIME I TURNED ON THE RADIO AND TOOK MY 6 YEAR OLD SON ALONG) I STILL THOUGFHT I HEARD SOMETHING A COUPLE OF TIMES BUT IT DID NOT BOTHER ME AT ALL.I FINALLY TOOK DEELIVERY ON RUBY PEARL PREMIUM AND I LOVE IT

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Many Happy Sloshes To You

Congratulations on your new MDX BOGHAR. Happy Sloshing to you.:2: :4: (Just Kidding)

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts