Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I mistakenly forgot to release the parking brake and I didn't realize it until I entered the highway going 60 mph!!!! At that point I heard a rythmic sound (similar to what a Harley sounds like). I checked around, no bike, looked down and saw the 'BRAKE' light glowing at me!!! Argh!! I immediately released the parking brake and all is well again. I wasn't at highway speed for more than 10 seconds and everything seems ok now. Is there something I should check to be sure? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Well you can approach it two ways. Go to the dealer and tell them what happened, if they find something they will charge you. OR

Take it your dealer and tell them you noticed a strange sound eminating from you wheels and you think it might be the brakes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Unfortunately, it is more a testament to just how miserable the parking brake IS on the X... I wonder if THAT got any better in the 03...

Tom

hhwc said:
Last night I mistakenly forgot to release the parking brake and I didn't realize it until I entered the highway going 60 mph!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry if I sound like a newbie, but why would you ever use the parking brake in the first place. If you put the car in Park then that should enough right?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
That might work in the flat lands ...

... but not in the hill country.

ez600 said:
Sorry if I sound like a newbie, but why would you ever use the parking brake in the first place. If you put the car in Park then that should enough right?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
mogur wrote:
Unfortunately, it is more a testament to just how miserable the parking brake IS on the X... I wonder if THAT got any better in the 03...
Appears that the 03 X does indeed provide a solution. The 03 X Acura sales rep training pamphlet reads:

"A warning chime alerts the driver if the vehcile has been shifted into gear while the parking brake is engaged".

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree with EZ600. I never use a parking brake on my automatic vehicles. Essentially the tranny would have to fall out before the car is going to move while in park.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I agree with N_Jay. I use the parking brake once per week at the most, and I always know I have it on when I try to drive off.
Press it down all the way. When you try to drive you will feel like a boat trying to get going without having released the lines from the dock :eek:.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
sandman1 said:
I agree with EZ600. I never use a parking brake on my automatic vehicles. Essentially the tranny would have to fall out before the car is going to move while in park.
No problem!! The tranny will not fall out. Intstead, when someone impacts your parked car hard enough, a pawl will break off and fall inside your transmission.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey all,

Contrary to above, i believe the parking brake is essential! It will prolong your automatic transmission life...considering recent data on Honda's tranny, this is a good idea. On ANY kind of slope, the parking brake should be used. In fact, i use it ALL the time on my 4Runner. Of course, it also helps when someone rear-ends you car.

In the end, parking brake is a lot cheaper to replace than an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
594 Posts
get it tightened

I had the same problem, told the dealer, and they tightened the cable. I can't even push it all the way to the floor, and there is no way the car will move once engaged.

It's now a parking brake that actually works. Oh, and the tightening was under warranty. Best thing I did.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
davegood -- me, too (must be a Penn State thing!) That adjustment made all the difference. The only time I don't use my parking brake is when I'm in my relatively-level carport. Otherwise, it's foot brake on, parking brake on, Neutral, footbrake off and let the car "settle" against the parking brake, then -- finally, Park and ignition off. This has the best chance of protecting the parking pawl in your transmission.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's a good habit to get into

I'd suggest if you're one who never uses the parking brake and doesn't understand why one would ever use it....you should try to make it a habit. It will definitely help your transmission live a longer life. I engage the parking brake every time I leave the vehicle no matter how flat it is there.

I had to work hard on convincing my wife that the parking brake is our friend and I think it's finally paying off. At first she just refused to use it but now is getting into the habit. Unfortunately, she still doesn't push it down far enough but I'll work on that deficiency as a phase II. Actually, I think I'll have my dealer tighten it as the others have at my next service.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Should have thought of that ... will add adjust parking brake to the next X service. Too bad, leaving now to pick it up ... its been in the shop for a week being worked on !!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I remember once having to 'hot foot' it from a business meeting in Indiannapolis to the airport. REALLY late. We are just screaming to make the last flight to the west coast, and pull up to a stoplight off the freeway. As we come to a stop, the passenger turns to me and says "hey, what's that smell" at which point a blue cloud envelops the car. Concurrently, my brain thinks "huh, smells like brakes" and my eyes spot the red brake light....

Just another reason to not buy a prior daily rental....

Ard

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always use parking brake

I always engage the parking brake FIRMLY when I park. Here is the sequence I always follow. Shift from D5 to N with right foot on the brake pedal (not the parking brake), and step my left foot firmly on the parking brake pedal to engage. Let go the brake pedal to make sure the car is not moving. Then shift N to P.

This is what off-roaders always do. The reason is not to exert pressure on the stopping mechanism in P gear. This could happen if you park your car on a really steep slope (happens quite often when going off-road). Then you will have a heck of time to shift from P back to D as the shifter will get stuck under the weight of your car, even worse if your driving a heavy SUV. Off-roaders pay special attention to this as you can get stuck in the middle of nowhere because of that.

-TL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts