Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I'm new to the forum and have been reading through the huge amount of info.
I am seriously considering the purchase of an MDX, but have been put off by little add-ons that are on EVERY MDX in the lot. (The local dealer has 5).
These are: pinstripe $49, protection package $799.
The vehicle I am interested in has also: running boards $799.
I am going to try to get the protection package "at cost", since I dont think it is worth the bucks being charged.
hondacuraworld.com seems to have all the components for much cheaper.
Is this common practice for Acura, or just my local dealer?
The dealer (or at least the service department) so far has treated me well, as I have an NSX.
Has anyone managed to negotiate out of the add-ons?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I got BSM & wheel locked throw in for FREE + $300 off on accessories.

I bought all my accessories from Tim, he gave the best price by comparing with the price + shipping. :2:

·
Registered
153 Posts
No Addons Here...

Alot of the members here including myself did not get any ADD-ONS. Tell your dealer you're only interested in getting an MDX if it was strip(no add-ons). Get everything from Tim and have them installed or install them yourself for much much less than what any Acura dealer will offer. Tim supplies all (well, about 99% of the parts) the info on "How to Install" the parts. I Purchased a premium (Base) Mahogany and installed everything myself. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It varies with the dealer. MSRP should be the most you want to pay.
Extras, unless they are things you really want, can be obtained much cheaper at www.hondacuraworld.com
Plus, there are accessories from other suppliers that may even be more to your liking.
If you buy into a 'package' then you will be stuck later having to sell accessories you don't want for others that you prefer and even at that, never make up for the money you lost.

But accessories installed at time of delivery are covered by the bumper to bumper warranty on your car. This is not that important except for things like the towing package which includes tranny and power steering coolers. At that, it's quite expensive, but if you plan any real towing, probably worth it.
Everything else comes with a 1 year warranty, but are easy to install yourself.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I suspect that it is due to these "forced" options that this dealer has 5 available right now. Pay no more than MSRP. Period. If you go with this X, make sure the pinstripe is painted...$49 seems far to low for a painted one from the dealer, and the last thing you want is a foolish looking decal that will fade and fall off in a year or so.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I got mine with wheel locks and rear splash guards, but I got them to throw those in along with a cargo cover. So essentially, MSRP-accessories.

I got BSMs at a dealership afterward and installed them myself (saving dealer labor!). If you are willing to wait, get the accessories from Tim. He has the best prices I've seen.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
LET IT ROT!

RL in Florida said:
...add-ons that are on EVERY MDX in the lot. (The local dealer has 5).
hondacuraworld.com seems to have all the components for much cheaper.
Is this common practice for Acura, or just my local dealer?

The dealer (or at least the service department) so far has treated me well, as I have an NSX.
Has anyone managed to negotiate out of the add-ons?
Thanks.
Sounds like a less than bright dealer...

While I have encountered several Honda & Acura delaers who put these fat mark-up packages on some vehicles, this seems to be more unusual in that ALL 5 vehicles are laden with this.

Typically, when the vehicles are in high demand the dealers have been sticking an "adjustment market value" sticker that basically extorts PURE PROFIT from the unsuspecting. Occaisionally if the dealer has a sense that they'll have a momentary supply shortage (like early in the delivery cycle) followed by robust demand I've seen one or two 'loaded' as a means of saying "hey if you want it NOW, this is what I want to 'show-off'. THIS dealer could be STUCK with FIVE overpriced MDX's. With the '03s due in about 10-12 weeks there is an excellent chance this PIG got STUPID & GREEDY.

When they start to sweat that '03s are on the way, I bet they'll be looking to make a terrific deal! NEVER FORGET: Dealers need CUSTOMERS! They don't make a DIME until they get YOUR CASH! You don't have to treat them as enemies, but their mission is to extract CASH from you, you have to control how much cash you'll part with AND be prepared to WAIT 'EM OUT!

I don't know how common this is with all Acura dealers, but there have been reports from numerous locations that this is often encountered. I suspect Honda's thick list of DIO makes this easier, though I know there are plenty of slimy domestic dealers that create their own cheesy "over optioned" Limited Edition, Luxury Package, Custom Request, yadayadayada BS embaresements...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've said this before, but all the MDXs that I've seen in my area have the same "protection package" on them. The five MDXs that I saw on the lot last weekend all had the mud flaps on them, so I assume the New Orleans dealer still forces the whole pkg on customers.

Maybe some people are successful in not paying for them, especially this late in the model year, etc. (Obviously, I wasn't, even though I have lots of excuses why it slipped by me!) It is great if you are getting all the details figured out in advance of signing on the dotted line! ;)

Louise

·
Registered
259 Posts
Protection Package

We have one Acura dealer in Las Vegas. Every MDX on the lot has a "Desert Package" along with cargo cover, cargo net, mud flaps, wheel locks, and floor mats for $1,200. The package includes some crap you shouldn't have to buy, like undercoating, but they also provide a heavy duty battery and some other things which help in this ungodly heat (it's only 105 today). Believe me, I tried my best to get them to back off some on the package but all I could do was get the wheel locks free and they threw in a brass MDX license plate frame...I didn't even get the black pen! However, I was able to get a hell of a lot more on my trade-in than I thought I would get, so in effect I wound up paying MSRP. I wanted to special order my X but I didn't want to wait 3 months, so taking one of the loaded Xs's off their inventory helped get me the higher trade. Those of us in Vegas have no choice, unless we want to go 300 miles to LA and hope we can find a better deal.....it'll never happen, I know because I met a guy in Torrance (before I bought my X in June 2002) who told me he bought his X for $44,000 and he had to go outside Torrance to get it that cheap! And Torrance is where Honda/Acura is headquartered! The way I see it, the money is spent, I'm happy with the car, and I paid less than TMV for my area (see www.edmunds.com). As long as you don't pay thousands over MSRP, you'll be doing well.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My MDX came with protection package (wheel lock, rear mud flaps, cargo cover) for $595. It's kind of expensive but not too much. It's up to each dealer to install or not install extras. You can use Tim's price to negotiate lower prices. But if you buy from Tim you have to install it yourself. It's not that hard to install but why would you want to get your hands dirty after spending $40,000 or so on your new car?

I had dealer to install everything I wanted and go home enjoy my new car with getting my hands dirty.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!

My MDX came with protection package (wheel lock, rear mud flaps, cargo cover) for $595. It's kind of expensive but not too much. It's up to each dealer to install or not install extras. You can use Tim's price to negotiate lower prices. But if you buy from Tim you have to install it yourself. It's not that hard to install but why would you want to get your hands dirty after spending $40,000 or so on your new car?
IMHO [IMNSHO?], I think it is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!! Tim sells thie listed accessories for:

35.50 = Wheel Locks
48.25 = Rear Splash Guards
109.00 = Cargo Cover
======
192.75 = Tim's Total

That's a savings of $402 or 67% !!!

Now let's look at the install:

Wheel locks: Remove 4 lugs [1 per wheel] and screw on the 4 new locking lugs. Time 10 minutes or less [assumes it takes you 6 minutes to find a lug wrench]. Any gas station would do this for $10.00 [and really SMILE], can't believe a dealer would even charge for the install!!

Rear Splash Guards: If my memory is correct, remove 2 screws, place guard in place, replace 2 screws and add a third screw [comes with guard]. Then repeat on other side. Time 15 minutes or less [assumes it takes you 5 minutes to find a screwdriver]. Can't believe that "dealer price" would be more than $30.00 for install [1/2 hour biling for 10 minutes work].

Cargo Cover: This one is REALLY HARD [:rolleyes:]. Take cover out of box, open rear doors, fold middle seat down, slide into place. No screws, no nothing. Takes longer to open the box than it does to install. Note: If you are like us, we periodically install/remove this "accessory" as needed based on what we are doing "in the back of the X". So even if this takes you 15 minutes the FIRST TIME, you'll get quicker each time you do it AND YOU WILL NEED TO DO IT!!!

So I calculate you can save $400 if you do it yourself or ONLY $360 if you have it done and buy from Tim. Take the extra money and buy yourself a full size spare [includes new rim and Michelin tire], or buy a lifetime supply of Zaino, or simply go to a heck of a lot of movies ... buy golly, why burn the green stuff?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Absolutely do NOT pay anything over MSRP and no forced add-ons. Check out the thread about some dealers in Texas who are doing some dealing...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Protection Package

ayanomich said:
We have one Acura dealer in Las Vegas. Every MDX on the lot has a "Desert Package" along with cargo cover, cargo net, mud flaps, wheel locks, and floor mats for $1,200. The package includes some crap you shouldn't have to buy, like undercoating, but they also provide a heavy duty battery and some other things which help in this ungodly heat (it's only 105 today). Believe me, I tried my best to get them to back off some on the package but all I could do was get the wheel locks free and they threw in a brass MDX license plate frame...I didn't even get the black pen! However, I was able to get a hell of a lot more on my trade-in than I thought I would get, so in effect I wound up paying MSRP. I wanted to special order my X but I didn't want to wait 3 months, so taking one of the loaded Xs's off their inventory helped get me the higher trade. Those of us in Vegas have no choice, unless we want to go 300 miles to LA and hope we can find a better deal.....
...or buy a Honda Pilot. We walked out of the Vegas Acura dealership when they refused to eliminate the $1,200 protection package and some other add ons. A week later they called and we told them we ordered a Honda Pilot. They immediately cut the protection package to $600 and told us we could get the options we wanted at cost. There are three Honda dealers in Las Vegas. With a little negotiation we decided on the Pilot w/Navi for MSRP and got other options for cost. If Acura wants to continue to sell MDXs they better know their local market.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I am trying out some other dealers in the area now.
I found another one 30 miles away. Went there to check the sticker, and they too added a protection package, but for only $599.
But...this protection package is not the Acura Protection Package. It is just undercoat and wax. Then they added on $95.00 (!!) for wheel locks, $200 for mudflaps (!!).
I made it very clear that I would refuse to pay $600 for a wax job (which dealers are supposed to do as part of dealer prep anyways).
The sales manager still b's d me for a few minutes on how important it is to get the special wax and undercoat to protect against depreciation, blah blah blah, but I think my bored nodding got him to finally give up.
Eventually he offered:
WHite/Tan with Touring, Running boards, wheel locks, mud flaps, "protection package/wax job" for 37.8k. I figure that is about what it is worth and maybe a few bucks less (based on the Acura configurator website), so its not an entirely bad deal, but I'll bet he did not include the $399 straight into the owners pocket "dealer prep fee" (i.e. the straight into the pocket of the owner kickback). (I saw this one marked on the RSXs)
I can see what everyone on this forum is saying about odd sales practices with Acura. I did not have this problem at BMW or Lexus. I dont recall having these hassles when I got my Audis three years ago either.
Its too bad that I am fond of the MDX and nothing else really compares to it in terms of a balance between practicality and appearance. Kind of like a blend between a Minivan and an SUV, with a bit more of the latter of course.
I'll keep looking around. I think that by the end of August or September, they may be willing to deal. (Incidentally, this dealer had 4 on the lot, with more coming in; the dealer closer to home had 5 on the lot with more coming in.
Thanks again for the info everyone.
Rick
Florida

·
Registered
259 Posts
re: protection package

...or buy a Honda Pilot. We walked out of the Vegas Acura dealership when they refused to eliminate the $1,200 protection package and some other add ons. A week later they called and we told them we ordered a Honda Pilot. They immediately cut the protection package to $600 and told us we could get the options we wanted at cost. There are three Honda dealers in Las Vegas. With a little negotiation we decided on the Pilot w/Navi for MSRP and got other options for cost. If Acura wants to continue to sell MDXs they better know their local market.

Jerry,

Nice move, when did you buy your Pilot? In June, we were told by Desert Honda there was a long waiting list, maybe 2 months to get one and it was MSRP plus....I saw one Pilot he had on the lot, but my wife really wanted the X ever since she test drove one last year, and I figured I'd better get rid of my truck while it had some value and I was tired of driving it anyway. We bought our X on June 17th from Mark Shoop at Falconi...who did you deal with? Falconi is okay, I wouldn't rate them anything better than good for sales, only because they aren't pushy but they do overcharge for their accessories big time. That's why I'm going to buy a hood deflector and sun roof visor here and install myself. The only money Falconi will get from me from now on is for the scheduled maintenance......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our salesman at Falconi was Frank Incolvilia (sp?) who subsequently left Falconi and ended up at Shack Honda.

We test drove the MDX at Falconi's the last week of May. I went to Edmunds to check out a couple of things before our final decision when I saw an add for the Pilot. Before we made a decision on the X, we decided to wait until the following Monday to see the Pilot. Test drove the Pilot and MDX that Monday and decided on the Pilot (better price on a 2003 model and the interior configuration suited our needs better than the X).

Used the Sams Club Buying Service and was sent to the Desert Honda internet salesman who offered the Pilot at MSRP and options at cost. The wait was 6 weeks for a Silver Pilot with the Navigation package. Went to Honda West and Shack Findley Honda to see if they'd match Desert's price and what they had on their shipping list. Honda West won (closer top our home) at MSRP with a ship date at the end of June. While waiting for the Pilot, Falconi called a few times with ever dropping prices (used the move to the new location as a ploy for the ability to drop prices????) Drove the Pilot home July 5th.

Have 550 miles on the Pilot and we're quite pleased with the decison.:2:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Congrats,

Happy to see a knowledgeable buyer push back and WIN ... enjoy your new vehicle. :29:

Local Honda dealer [one closest to home] is still gouging big time!! Worst part of it, they still sell them!! :3:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks Jerry for the info...I think I remember seeing Frank at the dealer's when I was buying my X.....well, good luck with the Pilot, Falconi's loss is your gain, but Honda still gets the bucks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
We put wheel locks and rear mud flaps on every MDX during our initial inspection when they arrive at our dealership. Our normal retail price for these two accessories as part of a new car purchase is $99 each, but I have seen deals written where we have waived the charge for them to make a customer happy.

I think that for the remainder of the 2002s you should be able to receive some kind of minor concession like this, especially if you have some color flexibility, or find a dealer with soon-to-arrive unsold inbound cars. If you want a 2003 (or must have the only Black/Saddle car the dealer has left for the month) you should expect to pay retail for everything you get.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
mjhorwitz wrote:
We put wheel locks and rear mud flaps on every MDX during our initial inspection when they arrive at our dealership. Our normal retail price for these two accessories as part of a new car purchase is $99 each, but I have seen deals written where we have waived the charge for them to make a customer happy.

I think that for the remainder of the 2002s you should be able to receive some kind of minor concession like this, especially if you have some color flexibility, or find a dealer with soon-to-arrive unsold inbound cars. If you want a 2003 (or must have the only Black/Saddle car the dealer has left for the month) you should expect to pay retail for everything you get.
Mr. Horwitz,

Based on your statements, I sense that you believe that it is JUST FINE that your dealership installs wheel locks and mud flaps on EVERY MDX because it is part of your dealership's STANDARD INITIAL INSPECTION.

Sir, to me, that is what I deem FORCED OPTIONS and frankly I do not share your sentiment that this is OK becuase YOUR DEALERSHIP has decided that ALL PURCHASERS NEED THESE ACCESSORIES. I believe that I should have the right to decide what, if any, accessories I WANT. Additionally, I believe that I should have the right to buy them where I want.

IMHO, your dealership simply can not pass up the opportunity to make a few extra bucks. Even at retail, the parts are $110 [your cost under $90]. Then you charge $90 labor to do something that can be no more than 30 minutes work [work that I will bet is done by lot attendants, not mechanics, becuase anyone can "install they options"]. Thus you see no problem in charging $180/hour for labor that costs your dealership very little [$10.00 per hour to be generous].

I do not like the attitude and would NOT have purchased a car from you. It is not the actual dollar amount, it is the ATTITUDE AND GREED. Your dealership makes a handsome profit on the MDX [I can work with that]. The need to gouge a couple of extra bucks I find repulsive. To me, this is not the treatment that I would expect from a high line dealership. Now I am getting to the point -- IMNSHO, I believe that you, and others like you, contribute to the 2nd class standing of Acura [as compared to the likes of Lexus].

This REALLY BOTHERS ME. Almost wish Lexus would carry the MDX so I could buy a quality up-scale vehicle from a quality up-scale dealership.

:3: :3: :3:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts