Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have your experiences been when ordering an MDX and trading in a vehicle? Do most dealers value your trade when you place the order, or not until the MDX arrives? Are there any protections you can have to keep the dealer from seriously under valuing your trade when the MDX arrives?

I could just see the potential for issues with the dealer making some additional $$ by adjusting the trade in value down substantially or not even valuing the trade until the car you have waited so long for is here. I had a bad experience with a Pontiac dealer on the last car I ordered way way way back in '87. Since then, all of my cars have come off of the lot which doesn't appear to be a choice with an MDX.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The dealer I have my 03 on order with has a simple policy: Kelly Blue Book trade-in value, period. Valid only within 30 days of taking delivery of your new car.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The dealer I delt with gave about 20% of KBB no matter when. So forgetaboutit.

Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Trade-In

My dealer is Acura West in Ellicott City, MD. They gave me a decent number for my trade in and put it in writing when I ordered my MDX on June 8. My truck is due in this week and I assume, unless I total my current car, that they will honor the quote they gave me. We will see, I am sure there will be some phantom charges to come up at the last minute.

My personal favorite is the "paperwork cost" of 19.99!! Let me get this straight, I am buying a $40K car from you (at or near MSRP) and you need $20 to cover administrative costs!!! Come on!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: Trade-In

gregguy said:

My personal favorite is the "paperwork cost" of 19.99!! Let me get this straight, I am buying a $40K car from you (at or near MSRP) and you need $20 to cover administrative costs!!! Come on!
Your dealer is a moron. Why hassle someone for $20?

They should charge $195 for 'processing fee' or 'administrative fee'... Plenty of MDX purchasers have paid it, and more...$295, $495, etc Almost every contract includes something like that- $20 is on the very low end.

I gave my dealer grief if $45 for 'DMV Filing'. He said, well we file all the required paperwork. I said "I'll do it, just give me the docss" (bluffing) he said 'nevermind, we can take that fee off" (At this point, methinks he just wanted me gone....:) )

Ard

·
Registered
229 Posts
First dealer we worked with was price gouging on the 'X (with forced accessories at twice the price) and then they only offered 1/3 of Kelly BB for the trade. Walked away from that deal.

Dealer we ended up buying from offered 'X and accessories at msrp. A month before 'X came in they looked at the trade and gave us KBB value.

Be prapared to walk away from the deal ... they can only screw you if you let them :eek:

We had to wait five more months because we switched, but I just couldn't give the first dealer my money.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
My dealer recommended Carmax ...

... for our '99 EB Expedition; where we received a very fair price:D

·
Registered
763 Posts
My dealer uses NADA "black book" - prices there are at least 20% LOWER :mad: than in KBB. We had a trade-in price discussed and put in a contract at the time of the order with the note that it was not obligatory on my part. I wound up selling privately for more than double the dealer's offer!

·
Registered
259 Posts
When we bought our X in June, the sticker total was $41,000, of which $1,200 was dealer add-on accessories and what they call in Vegas "A Desert Package" (maybe they have that in Arizona too?) Every MDX on the lot has the $1,200 tacked on, no discussion. I believe there was at least 6 or 7 X's unspoken for on the lot, most of them with Touring and Nav. We were only shown two of them, which were the ones they probably had the longest and wanted to sell....we were leaning towards ordering our own at MSRP without accessories, Touring and NAV, and had discussed trading our 10 year old GMC truck at $3,800 blue book trade value, when we were asked would we buy one of the cars we were shown if we received a higher trade.....sounded interesting to us, and after the usual back and forth, and sales manager low-balling, and us getting up twice and threatening to walk, we were offered $5,500, which gives the dealer his profit at $41,000 but in effect gives us back the $1,200 for the accessories and $500 for shipping, so the net was $39,300. What a way to do business, but we love the car, and the dealership folks are okay as far as personality and service concerns, so what the hey......

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have heard of pre-negotiated trade in value. It was made when the car was ordered and had certain limitations as to mileage, accidents, and wear on the trade-in from the date the order was taken for the new vehicle.

I bleieve it usually best to sell to a private party if you have a good car and want top dollar for it. You will have to allow for test drives and have various phone calls...

If you have a lemon you may want to trade it in and let the dealer deal w/ the grumpy purchaser of your old car. This way you wont get sued by a private party for selling them a lemon, or not disclosing any potential dangers or problems w/ the vehicle. This is not a "stick it to the dealer" mentality, it's just protect yourself from getting sued if you have a lemon you are disposing of as the reason for your new purchase.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Courtesy Trade through Dealer

In our case, we have a three year old car worth nearly the price of the new MDX and weren't willing to settle for wholesale on a car that is virtually perfect. We listed it on www.autotrader.com and sold it within a few weeks. The Acura dealer then did a "courtesy trade" where the price applies as a trade-in on our MDX and also handles all the paperwork.

This has many advantages:
1. Higher price given for our car than dealer would offer.
2. We pay sales tax only on the difference between selling prices.
3. Buyer of our car pays dealer, who in turn pays off our loan.
4. We don't feel taken advantage of by paying sticker price and receiving wholesale on our trade.

The downside? Waiting for the MDX to arrive!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Trade-In

Yep, be very wary with the dealers. I posted above regarding my trade-in and how the dealer put it in writing. Well, apparantly that means NOTHING to the dealer as when I went in to pick up my MDX last Friday they "re-appraised" the trade-in for $1500 less than eight weeks ago. Now we all know that cars depreciate but I put 1000 miles on it and was insulted at this attempt. My reccomendation, try your best to sell it on your own or go to carmax. After 3.5 hours of fighting with them they added several options, came up $500 on the trade-in and dropped the price of the truck to compensate but I was pissed! Nothing was said at the time of ordering or mentioned on the purchase order. The upside is that I plan to keep the truck for a long time so no dealing with salespeople for a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts