Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey... just for kicks... i wanna hear a description of the X from everyone's perspective... kind of like a connotative speech kind of thing!
So, how do you describe the X? I'm still thinking, but when I am done, i will let you know.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Just read my signature, and click on the header to see all my pic's

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not really what i was looking for, not a description of what u have in your x... but about the MDX in general, what is it to you, how would u describe your X?

Connotative: having the power of implying or suggesting something in addition to what is explicit.

So... a connotative description of your X... no pics... or what accessories you have... i'm talkin about ur feelings! :p

·
Registered
267 Posts
Angled metal,
Smooth and crisp.
Safe.
Comfortable.
Mine.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With a little help from the Acura site and about 5 minutes to write this... this is what i got...

When you hear the name Acura, the word quality is often not far behind. It is a word that is earned the hard way with thorough engineering and even-higher quality targets. There was no blueprint when the Acura MDX was dreamt up. No past to contend with. Just an idea. The handling of a performance luxury car, and the freedom and common sense of an SUV, all in one vehicle. Taking note, the Acura engineers applied breakthrough technology to create the unthinkable. The luxurious, quick-handling, all-weather MDX. The 2003 MDX ups the performance with unprecedented alternatives in entertainment, comfort and safety. Nimble, precise performance, in the Acura tradition, makes the MDX fun to drive. People expect the utmost comfort and convenience from Acura. And the MDX interior delivers. Its interior ranks among the most refined on the market. It’s sleek design make the MDX all the more desirable. It’s glassy, glistening, glossy, lustrous, polished, satin, silky exterior give it a liquid like look. The glistening chrome accented door handles jump out at you and give a nice contrast to the black exterior. Its sleek curves and ergonomic design turn heads as you drive. In the interior, the wood grain steering wheel adds a heightened sense of luxury and sophistication. Its plush leather interior provides a sanctuary for one to rest and relax. The all new 2003 Acura MDX provides luxury, performance, quality, utility, and prestige all in a nice mid-size SUV.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A minivan (Honda Odyssey) in (luxury) SUV clothing.

The vehicle for the well-heeled "soccer mom" who wants to avoid the stigma of driving a minivan.

Best regards,

·
Registered
572 Posts
kblake said:
A minivan (Honda Odyssey) in (luxury) SUV clothing.

The vehicle for the well-heeled "soccer mom" who wants to avoid the stigma of driving a minivan.

Best regards,
Ouch, I don't like that description!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Neide,
Unfortunately, minivan substitute has become the dominant role of the SUV in the United States. Minivans are just not perceived as "cool". That is unfortunate, because most minivans are far safer, and more fuel efficient than most SUV's. Particularly because SUV's are typically built on truck platforms, and until recently, trucks did not have to meet the same safety criteria as a passenger car does.
By comparison, truck suspension and brakes are rudimentary.
The nice thing about the MDX being built on the Oddysey platform, is that you get the SUV image, with the minivan economy, drivability, and safety.

When we began our search for a vehicle with a 3rd row seat, my wife immediately ruled out minivans. I ruled out any of Detroit's products. She had a pretty good idea at that point that she wanted a Toyota Sequoia. I got her to test drive the Honda Pilot the same day as the Sequoia and she actually liked the way it drove better. (no surprise to me). The one area the Pilot is lacking in, is amenities.
You can't even get a sun/moon roof. You can get either RES or Nav, but not both. That led us to the MDX.

Our present family-mobile is a 1998 subaru Legacy Outback, which is a reliable, capable vehicle, with excellent safety. It doesn't haul enough people and it is pretty underpowered. At least when we drive the MDX I won't be thinking fondly of my MR2 Turbo and asking: "Where's the boost?" like I do when we take the Outback.

So in conclusion, for my wife and I, at least, the MDX will be a comfortable, safe, trendy substitute for a minivan. From reading this forum, it doesn't appear that many people buy the MDX for it's offroad capability, and that's as it should be, since less than 10% of SUV's ever intentionally leave the pavement.

·
Registered
572 Posts
All of your points make sense. But I'm among the numerous many who cring at the thought of someone thinking I'm driving a minivan. All praticality aside. My biggest complaint still about my MDX is that from the front, it looks like one. For that same reason, I'd avoid any future SUV that has sliding side doors (no matter how practical) or simply looks confusing similar to a minivan (like the Highlander) or for a dozen other "i'm really a minivan" reasons. Silly? Perhaps.

I had really thought about buying a more truck-like SUV, and looked at a lot of them. Most of the true truck like SUVs are american, and I just couldn't do it. This is my first Japenese car, and I was tired of getting burned by American car co's. The closest one for me was probably the Toyota Sequoia - it looks like a truck, but it just didn't have nearly as nice an interior, and I hate the idea of paying 35k+ for a vehicle and there being a lot of 25k- versions of it on the road.

Okay, off my therapists couch now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
neide said:
All of your points make sense. But I'm among the numerous many who cring at the thought of someone thinking I'm driving a minivan.
Hehe-thus validating my description of the MDX :p

neide said:

I had really thought about buying a more truck-like SUV, and looked at a lot of them. Most of the true truck like SUVs are american, and I just couldn't do it. This is my first Japenese car, and I was tired of getting burned by American car co's.
I've had 5 Toyotas, 1 Subaru, and 1 Chevy. I'll give you one guess which one seized up 3 years and 36,000 miles into a 6/60 warranty, and the car company wouldn't honor the warranty. :3:

neide said:

The closest one for me was probably the Toyota Sequoia - it looks like a truck, but it just didn't have nearly as nice an interior, and I hate the idea of paying 35k+ for a vehicle and there being a lot of 25k- versions of it on the road.
Our runner up was also the Sequoia. It just wasn't as nice a ride, with it's pickup truck roots, and solid rear axle. We thought the interior on the Limited was very nice, and we actually preferred the screen for the RES in the back of the headrests, where they don't block the rear view mirror.

Regarding spending 35k+ and having cheaper versions running around, you'd better not tell anyone that drives that new Cadillac Escalade EXT that it is really a Chevy Avalanche :p

Best regards,

·
Registered
572 Posts
kblake said:

Regarding spending 35k+ and having cheaper versions running around, you'd better not tell anyone that drives that new Cadillac Escalade EXT that it is really a Chevy Avalanche
Not to mention those regular Escalades. I keep looking at them and thinking, "you paid north of 50k for a Tahoe"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts