Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experience the same problem dents from closing the rear door? I have notice it on a couple MDX's on the road. Right around the big Acura emblem on the rear door. I'll post some pictures on my next post...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Scary! I ran out and looked. Phew...everything is fine around the big emblem.
The metal does not seem particularly soft in that area (as it is very soft on the hood between the two washer nozzles).

Perhaps they opened the hatch in a garage and it hit the garage door (which was rasied but protruding) or accidently lowered the garage door with a similar outcome, while the hatch was up.

Since it's around the big emblem it's something that hit at the center. One does not normally close the hatch from there, at least not easily. Interesting, have to think on that one.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Based on recomendations from others here, I installed rubber pipe insulation tubes on the ribs of my garage doors. That way, its a soft landing when I open the rear hatch inside the garage. When I close the hatch, I always push on the license plate to close. That way no finger prints on the chrome or black finish!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put one on the left side when I was closing the rear door. It is a slight dent. I now only close the door with my hand around the license plate.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hoots said:
I put one on the left side when I was closing the rear door. It is a slight dent. I now only close the door with my hand around the license plate.
On very slight, wide-area dents, away from panel edges, I've been successful by removing the panel trim and gently, but firmly, pushing out the dent with the palm of my hand. I've done this on a front fender, door panel, fuel lid, and rear quarter panel, on two different vehicles. People I've asked usually can't find the invisible dent when I ask. Beside, there's no harm in trying. Due to the concave nature of all body panels, its almost impossible to create an outward dent. I always use the factory service manual to disassemble panels, reduces breakage and unsightly tooling marks as a result of not knowing what you are doing. Good luck.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've been careful when opening the read hatch, and I put pipe insulation on the garage door to protect the door when opened in the garage. But, knowing my luck....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts