Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the latest thread on "My first dent" with sympathy, now that I have 2 dents on my month-old MDX. One is on the door, and I can have it removed for $40, the other unfortunately is on the crease right over the rear wheel and can't be removed.

The dealer's dent man recommended I have rubber trim installed over the wheel wells. It's matte black, 1/4 inch thick, it'll cover the current ding and hopefully protect against future dings. (It's the same material that lines the inside edge of the wheels.)

There was a Toyota Avalon on the lot that has similar trim, and it looked good. But I already have the BSM's, and I'm afraid of making the X look too busy. Does anyone have experience with trim like this? Has anyone installed it?

Thanks for the help.

Jon

·
Registered
285 Posts
i talked to the dent repairman this morning while he was fixing the dent on my front door, he said he could reach anywhere on the MDX with some tools... are u sure that the one above the wheel well can't be fixed? i don't remember seeing anything in the forum about the rubber trim around the wheel wells...

there are some tips about the 'strategic parking' of the MDX in the thread named 'got my first dent within a week' ( i started it, sadly)...

btw, $40 fixing the dent is a good deal, i just gave out $60 for fixing mine...;)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
They did it on my TL-S

misterjon said:
... unfortunately is on the crease right over the rear wheel and can't be removed. Jon
Jon, I had a small dent on the front right wheel of my Acura TL-S at the crease. The Dent-Pro guy got it out using the typical, rods, tools, etc. So it can be done, at least in some instances. You may want to get a second opinion, Good Luck.

Regarding trim around the wheel wells, I think I would be hesitant. Not sure how it would look.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
msu79gt82 & JJ--
I've already gotten a second opinion from a local detailing shop that also does paintless dent repair, and they said they couldn't fix it either. But I'll call Dent-Pro and see what they say.

And as for parking in the boonies, I try whenever I can, but sometimes it's just not possible. Especially in SoCal where you have to valet park a lot. Who knows where those guys take your car.

Jon

·
Registered
285 Posts
they probably took your MDX for a good spin around town...:D

after pouring out 60 bucks for a dent repair, my wife and i decided that this would be our last dent repair... if we ever have another dent, which i'm pretty sure we will, we will just gonna live with it....

good luck with your quest....

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I got my MDX, part of the dealer protection package included what they called fender wells. I believe this is what you are talking about. Its a small black moulding that forms around the fenders. They said it would prevent dents on the fenders. He said they put them on all cars they sell. If you get a dent, its very expensive to repair, per the salesguy. I thought it detracted from the MDX, so I opted not to get it. I dont think you can add it after the fact to cover a dent. I wonder though whether the fender flairs made for the MDX would cover your dent.

·
Registered
285 Posts
the fender flairs come in with just one color, i think it's dark grey/silver... depends on what color your MDX has and your personal taste, you may or maynot want it.... the fender flairs are quite wide, probably enough to cover jon's dent...

·
Registered
273 Posts
misterjon said:
I've read the latest thread on "My first dent" with sympathy, now that I have 2 dents on my month-old MDX. One is on the door, and I can have it removed for $40, the other unfortunately is on the crease right over the rear wheel and can't be removed.

The dealer's dent man recommended I have rubber trim installed over the wheel wells. It's matte black, 1/4 inch thick, it'll cover the current ding and hopefully protect against future dings. (It's the same material that lines the inside edge of the wheels.)

There was a Toyota Avalon on the lot that has similar trim, and it looked good. But I already have the BSM's, and I'm afraid of making the X look too busy. Does anyone have experience with trim like this? Has anyone installed it?

Thanks for the help.

Jon
I bought my wheel well moldings at Custom Auto Trim I got the 3/8" one. I bought it in chrome, but I did not install it because I think the black will look better. (I have a Red Rocker MDX.)

rflagg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts