Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Unfortunately Christmas was a day that I got an unexpectedly bad present. I was going out to get gas and it was snowing pretty hard and i ended getting a dent in my passenger side rear door one slight dent around the middle of the door and then one closer to the door handle and some where the end of the BSM was. unfortunately it is on the character line of the car. the line the as just under the window . I went to a paintless dent removal guy and he said this would not be easy work due to the location of the dent. He would have to try and recreate the line and then push out the top and bottom contours. The character line is still there but it is just pushed in. Does anyone have any experience with this type of dent or worked with a paintless dent repair guy that uses the picks and tools that get behind the panels to fix them? Or does anyone know is there a lot of hardware in these doors that would make this repair impossible ie. cross members window mechanisms. etc. I really feel like crap that this happened on Christmas no less and have been looking at this dent since then. help please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,099 Posts
Maximus,

Q: Did the snow cause those dents on your MDX. Here in Hawaii, we don't have too much experience with the white stuff.

"Strength and Honor":)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,866 Posts
Maximus said:
:( Unfortunately Christmas was a day that I got an unexpectedly bad present. I was going out to get gas and it was snowing pretty hard and i ended getting a dent in my passenger side rear door one slight dent around the middle of the door and then one closer to the door handle and some where the end of the BSM was. unfortunately it is on the character line of the car. the line the as just under the window . I went to a paintless dent removal guy and he said this would not be easy work due to the location of the dent. He would have to try and recreate the line and then push out the top and bottom contours. The character line is still there but it is just pushed in. Does anyone have any experience with this type of dent or worked with a paintless dent repair guy that uses the picks and tools that get behind the panels to fix them? Or does anyone know is there a lot of hardware in these doors that would make this repair impossible ie. cross members window mechanisms. etc. I really feel like crap that this happened on Christmas no less and have been looking at this dent since then. help please.
Can you put a pic of the dent?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
Maximus said:
:( Unfortunately Christmas was a day that I got an unexpectedly bad present. I was going out to get gas and it was snowing pretty hard and i ended getting a dent in my passenger side rear door one slight dent around the middle of the door and then one closer to the door handle and some where the end of the BSM was. unfortunately it is on the character line of the car. the line the as just under the window . I went to a paintless dent removal guy and he said this would not be easy work due to the location of the dent. He would have to try and recreate the line and then push out the top and bottom contours. The character line is still there but it is just pushed in. Does anyone have any experience with this type of dent or worked with a paintless dent repair guy that uses the picks and tools that get behind the panels to fix them? Or does anyone know is there a lot of hardware in these doors that would make this repair impossible ie. cross members window mechanisms. etc. I really feel like crap that this happened on Christmas no less and have been looking at this dent since then. help please.
Having attended a potential franchise seminar by a fix a dent company, I can tell you in MOST cases the results will be an marked improvement, but not complete eradication the 'dented' character line.
Again, the severity of the damage will be a big factor. The fact it is not on the edge of the door or on a seam does mean it can be 'worked'.
I don't know the sturcture of the MDX door enough especially without seeing the picture. Sometimes they have to drill small holes in the side of the door jamb mating surface to access it with the tools. They usually plug these with inconspicuous body plugs after the repair.
It was quite a few years ago I saw this done, when paintless dent repair was just becoming popular. I am sure techniques and tools have improved even more since then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
I had a dentless guy repair a door dent that was along the same line as the one described above. He accessed the dent from the window opening at the top of the door and spent about a half hour or more finessing the dent out and reshaping the line -- looks like new, cost me $100, couldn't be happier!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a digital camera and can take pictures but I am not really sure how top post the pics or attach to the reply. The bigger dent on the character line is approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches across and the smaller one that's about 4 inches forward of that is less indented and is only about an inch. I will take pics if any can give me tips on how to post them I will . Thanks for all your help. By the way the snow caused me to slide causing the dent. It is a complicated story and I've been beating myself up for the accident since. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
i feel for you maxiums, my wife scratched the pass. door and to find out later she dented it too. i havent had the time to look at it yet, but it looked like a little pimple dent. its hardly noticeable, its right next to the door handle, was thinking "will i ever have a dentless car"


good luck to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,099 Posts
Maximus said:
By the way the snow caused me to slide causing the dent. It is a complicated story and I've been beating myself up for the accident since. :(
That solves the mystery. I was wondering how snow could cause so many dents. Hail maybe, but snow? Maximus, don't be too hard on yourself. This damage can be fixed and soon you will be up and running.

"Strength and Honor":)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If any one is still interested I will try and take pics next week and attempt to post for all to see!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,544 Posts
Maximus said:
If any one is still interested I will try and take pics next week and attempt to post for all to see!
I am interested... I look forward to viewing them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
I have had several small dings and dents fixed over the years by the local Doctor Dent, which is a paintless dent repair. They use small tools which work the inner metal skin, and using lights and mirrors, can generall shape it back to normal. In fact, I had a buddy who had extensive hail damage on roof, hood, and trunk, and they got everyone out perfectly. Those rounded out divets are tough to fix through conventiaonal bodywork and painting.

The paintless approach is very good, and works very well. I'm no longer afraid to park closer to the front foors of the mall, for fear of dings!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
Curtsan said:
I have had several small dings and dents fixed over the years by the local Doctor Dent, which is a paintless dent repair. They use small tools which work the inner metal skin, and using lights and mirrors, can generall shape it back to normal. In fact, I had a buddy who had extensive hail damage on roof, hood, and trunk, and they got everyone out perfectly. Those rounded out divets are tough to fix through conventiaonal bodywork and painting.

The paintless approach is very good, and works very well. I'm no longer afraid to park closer to the front foors of the mall, for fear of dings!!!
I wouldn't get over confident. If you happen to get one that involves the edge of a door, or on a seam, paintless dent repair will not work.
But for most 'door dings' it should be fine. But any on the character line will be more difficult.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top