Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Wondering if anyone has installed the DELPHI XM unit ... and where is it located :4: :4:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I love the XM radio!

I just got my Delphi with car kit last weekend. I have not permanently fit the wiring. I just tape up the wiring and made it work. In fact, I am here searching for other's answer here too but I did not find the "complete experience" description. Perhaps I am the one to give the answer? :)

After listening to the XM for just a couple days, I am falling in love with this. There are other people who said they don't find enough choices... I beg to differ. Everybody has a certain kind of preferences and limitation. If an individual only listens to one kinds of music or two, the XM is really "too much." Not that the XM's choices are too few, per se. I guess each individual's own preferences and likings are the limitations. The scenario is like buying an MDX would be too much if you are considering getting a Jeep.

Anyway, I simply put it up the Delphi and see if I like the XM and activated the account. I must say the XM choice of the music variaty knocks my socks away. It gives a lot of stations that Memphis does not have. I just like many choices that's available. I feel the $10 bucks a month is merely nothing considering the countless hours listening to the @#$$ and commercial on the local radio.

So.. I decided to also get the home audio system to go with it. I divided the 20 presets and found the XM radio has plenty than I have time to listen to.

I also bought the modulator too. In fact, I am looking for a description on this forum on how to connect the FM modulator to the Bose system. can someone point me to the right thread? I am looking for the instruction to pull the CD player out to hook up the modulator wiring and do the wiring hookup.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
XM is fantastic. Folks who like one kind of music should stick with their favorite 6 CDs.

I have a friend who is considering Delphi or Pioneer. The Delphi is clearly the best unit, but the red display sort of conflicts with the rest of the interior and I can't figure out where to mount the darn thing so that it looks like it looks stock. The Pioneer can slip in between the seat heater buttons, in the (not an) ashtray location, or in the sunglass holder.

Regardless of where you mount it and whether you go Pioneer or Delphi, I absolutely recommend you get a custom wiring harness/adapter rather than using FM modulation or (yikes!) the cassette adapter. The difference in sound quality is significant, even with your stock head unit.

Blitzsafe (www.blitzsafe.com) makes such an adapter... I don't know of any other manufacturers. I talked to the tech person at blitzsafe yesterday. Even though their outdated web site doesn't refer to it, they make the adapter. She told me that I need "hon xm dmx pio" or "hon xm dmx delphi" ($100 plus shipping) to connect these xm units to the Bose system in the MDX. If you have a trunk-mounted CD player, it will NOT work after installing this. ground ups is $8; 2nd day is $15. They take AMEX only (yuck!) for orders on their tech line: (201) 569-5000. Confirm the part numbers with them... It's conceivable that I got an idiot on the phone.

-Casper

·
Registered
339 Posts
I used the same ParaVIse cell phone holder to mount the Delphi XM car unit. The position is just right. I am also going to put in the SafeBlitz audio adapter to get better sound from the XM but that part of job is not done yet due to my traveling.

See the link here to see how to do the holder.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=24057#post24057

·
Registered
327 Posts
Red,
I have also become a big fan of XM Radio. I've had it in my MDX since last September and it has exceeded all expectations. The sound quality is at least as good as CD and the variety is phenomenal. I rarely listen to my CDs anymore.

Does XM Radio give you break on the monthly fee by having it both in your home and in the car or does the fee double?

·
Registered
259 Posts
The blitzSafe device is definately the way to go to connect the sound. I have found a couple of others that appear to do the same thing but the BlitzSafe is proven. They also have a 'dual' unit that might work better if you have a second CD Changer. Contact Ron at Street Effectz ([email protected]???) or Sam at [email protected]. Either of these guys can fix you up for less than the Blitzsafe website and offer advice too.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
casper said:
XM is fantastic. Folks who like one kind of music should stick with their favorite 6 CDs.

-Casper

You mean I can't play 6 disks and each one has different music on it it?

Or get a 10 or 12 disk changer with even more variety? Plus an external changer can 'random' between disks, not just cuts on one disk like the in-dash changer.
10 bucks a month is nothing. I just don't see a huge advangtage over multiple disk systems.
I think it's a great system if you spend many hours on the road, esp. if it's part of your job. (travelling salesperson, etc.) Or for the RV crowd.
But for the few weekend trips, and just running around town I can't quite justify it. Different strokes....I experienced XM on a rental and my experience was positive. Just not overwhelming.

·
Registered
220 Posts
XM Radio

I have to agree with DaleB on this one. $10 a month is not a lot for someone that just spent 36-40K on a vehicle, but money is money. Kind of makes all those CDs I have (over 400) seem like a booger. I do not spend enough time in the X to justify getting XM. I am thinking the CDs will work just fine for now. My brother on the other hand loves it. But, what does he know?! He is married, has two kids and drives a mini-van. Now, if they could somehow fit the XM on my Harley and hide it I might consider it!!;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts