Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I want to give a formal Hello to all the members on the board. I have been lurking around since the MDX came out and just have been waiting to be in a position to buy.

Well the time is here. My MDX was scheduled to be built between May 15-18 and delivered on the 31st. Well I went to the lot on Memorial Day and lo and behold a truck that met my truck was on the lot, didnt have any plastic on it and has some stratches near the back door handle as well as the drivers side mirror. So i wrote down thee VIN number. When the dealer called me, I verified the VINs and they definitely matched.

The question I have is why do you think the dealer waited until yesterday to tell me that the truck was there when obviously it had been delivered Friday or Saturday (I assume this since it already had dealer frame plates on it). How do I handle the stratches that are currently on it?

What do you guys and ladies think? Im tempted not to even take deliver of the truck and just order a new one. Is that being irrational? What would you do?

Sorry for the long post, Im just really disappointed. :confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would not take delivery of this particular vehicle, knowing and seeing it had scratches, no way. When I am buying a new vehicle I want it to be absolutely perfect. Does not matter the price of the vehicle, but repair scratches are just not new for me anymore, but then that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Obviously the delay was due to the scratches

Refusing delivery will more than likely cause you a big delay in receiving a car:(

If you do NOT want to wait, they CAN repair and repaint it to as good as new. However I would let them know that you are aware of the scratches and negotiate some compensation. Either a reduction in price, free accessories, free maintenance, etc. Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
My TL-S had a similar problem last June

To get the color we wanted for our TL-S last June the car was obtained through a dealer swap. The car carrier put minor scratches very low on the front bumper. They repaired the bumper to as good as new.

I suppose I could have refused it, but at the time the WDP color was scarce and we needed it then.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I agree, my X has a very small scratch on the rear door, that my wife noticed. I have polished that car at least 3 times since we took delivery 3 weeks ago, and I still have to consciously look for that scratch. It's that minor.
Plus the dealer loaded us up with $250 worth of accessories because of a delayed delivery. So we shrugged it off and didn't even bother to mention it.
But as many scratches as you mention, really would turn me away. And an offer to "rub it out" which I am sure you will get, would not satisfy me on a $40K vehicle.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
DaleB point is well taken ...

... my comments assumed that the scratches were minor enough that the dealer can fix them to your satisfaction.

My guess is that they can be repainted and fixed (they WILL fix the scratches and sell it to SOMEONE!!). Any such repairs would be fully warranted and as DaleB pointed out you could get some nice compensation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE[\b]

The stratches look like surface stratches, they are definitely not deep into the paint of the truck...They are located where the deliver tape is normally place on the vehichle. I'm suppose to take deliver of it today.

I spoke to the sales guy and he said the truck must have been delivered saturday evening and he was off Mon and Tues so thats why he didnt call until Wednesday...

I'm so confused this is driving me crazy.....The funny thing is that the timing worked so perfect. I placed my car for sale, the guy made and took delivery yesterday, the dealer called last night and to inform me of my truck being delivered...Now what????

Thanks for all your inputs I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: DaleB point is well taken ...

msu79gt82 said:
... my comments assumed that the scratches were minor enough that the dealer can fix them to your satisfaction.

My guess is that they can be repainted and fixed (they WILL fix the scratches and sell it to SOMEONE!!). Any such repairs would be fully warranted and as DaleB pointed out you could get some nice compensation.
Well, our compensation had nothing to do with the scratch. But you bring up a good point. Many of us may have already taken delivery of scratched vehicles that were touched up at the dealer. I guess it depends how good a job they do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
While awaiting deliver of our MDX, we returned to Scholfield Acura (Wichita) and purchased a 2003 TL, midnight black pearl, which was in stock. The dealer wanted to detail it to perfection for pickup the next afternoon. While inspecting it in bright sunlight, my wife noticed a very slight door ding. It was barely visible, even when it was pointed out. After she pointed it out, the salesman went and got the manager, who immediately appoligized and promised it would be repaired at their expense and at a time convenient to me. They included another full tank of gas. I made the appointment and the actual repair only took about 15 minutes....and then the vehicle was flawless.

My wife's MDX (Redrock Pearl) arrived on 05-24-02, which was her birthday. It was prepped before we arrived. We went over it very carefully, and it was beautiful and flawless. We had great buying experiences in both instances.

If you see something point it out and politely say that you expect it to be right, and making it right gets referals from your envious friends!

Richard York
Wichita, KS:4:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
And if you go back screaming, they will do what they can to get you out of there fast and still somehow keep you happy.
But if you ask, respectfully, but still hold your ground you will get the best service of all. After all, how would you feel if you had a business and an outraged customer walked in?
I don't know why I got on this topic, just stalling so I don't do any yard work. Later!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Any damage to a new car makes it not a new car, in my opinion. However, what I don't know doesn't hurt me. I've bought lots of new cars and always, politely, refused delivery or requested a written promise to fix a problem. I can honestly say that I have never had a dealer hesitate to fix a problem. I like the polite but firm approach. I do run my own business and dealing with irate people puts me on the defensive rather than in a cooperative mode.

Also, I don't believe the car was delivered on Sat. night - just my feelings!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts