Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my fleet manager has just told me today...there is no changes for 03 MDX model. :(
I was hoping for bigger engine with more hp..damn

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
henry_atwork said:
:confused:

either all (insert # of members here) of us here have been fooled and discussions for the past months are posted from a parallel universe or your fleet manager is :1: something really good

:D
Except for color changes and addition of R.E.S. nothing yet has been confirmed either by Acura or reliable sources.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only reliable source for this forum at the moment is jamie.

·
Registered
238 Posts
carbon-copy said:
my fleet manager has just told me today...there is no changes for 03 MDX model. :(
Nice first post... :rolleyes:

No offense but your fleet manager is full of beans. Acura Inc. admittedly makes some pretty stupid moves but I'd be amazed if they didn't bother to make ANY changes for the '03. I suspect our friend carbon-copy or his fleet manger is either misinformed or has an agenda. Hey, telling customers that there are NO new changes might be a nice way to try and convince them not to wait for the '03... From what I can tell in my area, sales of the '02 have slowed way down due to speculation on the improved '03 models. I've never seen them sit on the lots this long. Wow. If this keeps up they might have to start selling the for a FAIR PRICE! :D

Either way, I tend to believe Jamie on this. Acura Inc. would be lambasted if after all this speculation they did absolutely nothing. Not going to happen IMO.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I really don't get how you can say.....

carbon-copy said:
.......that there's Definitely not going to be any changes to the '03 Model :rolleyes: ......if you said something like "it looks like".....no changes that would be another thing

There is definitely a limit on how naive (for lack of being able to use a stronger word here) someone can be.........Yeah right, :rolleyes: .......my fleet manager told me.....and the tooth fairy is going to give me a visit tonight :rolleyes:

Your fleet manager is going to tell you this.........He has an agenda ......don't you see the obvious :rolleyes:

Personally, even though most of this info has not been confirmed, using a little reasoning and logic I can't see why some magazine (Auto World Magazine) would go to such lengths to "fabricate" all this stuff and then look really bad when the truth came out........see what I getting at?? :25:

·
Registered
338 Posts
This was this guy's first post here. Maybe he's a dealer with some 02's on his lot, trying to make some sales? Again, we never know who's posting here.

I don't know what changes will be made, but I guess after two years in the market, they will have to make some changes to keep up with competition. Not doing so is plain stupid. With ML320 being replaced by ML350 (3.7L engine, better fuel efficiency, DVD navigation), GX 470 being introduced again in Jan, Pilot already out, if they don't "upgrade" the MDX a bit, they are never going to see MSRP pricing on MDX again!!!

Well, another three weeks or so and we'll know who's right.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
carbon-copy,

Your words are interesting = "MY" fleet manager. To me, this means you work at a dealership.

If the above is true, then consider changing dealers. If YOUR fleet manager is gonna out-and-out "create" [sorta like fib] to you, wonder what he does with customers??? [naw, I better skip the next thought].

If you want to be good, do some research, learn about what you are selling. How would you feel if you were the customer who just bought a new 2002 'cause the 2003s were gonna be the same AND THEN LEARNED that the 2003 had lots of neat features that you really wanted. I don't know about you, but if it were me:

** I'd be real pissed at the dealership and the SALESMAN.

** I'd be real pissed at myself for trusting the BS that a Car Salesman had just handed me.

Don't get me TOTALLY wrong. There are SOME good car salespeople BUT the %s don't seem to work out. Proof is in the "car salesman jokes" [if you don't get this, don't waste your time on Dilbert, stick with the Sunday funnies and the sports section].

·
Registered
147 Posts
Isn't a fleet manager's main job someone who sells or leases vehicles in large numbers to companies and/or corporations for their employees to use? Or can they also be your on the floor salesperson for individual customers as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I asked my salesman about whats new for the 2003 MDX, his response is that he gets all his info from the buyers like me, that Acura tells them nothing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
AutoWorld Magazine

Latest issue of AutoWorld magazine (not exactly the ultimate authority, but since they pretty much reprint manufacturer's Press Releases...) says:
"Acura has boosted the horsepower of the MDX 3.5-liter V6 to 260 - a 20-horse jump from last year's model. The engine is coupled to an all-new five-speed automatic transmission that features a sequential sport shift mode.
"Elsewhere, the 2003 MDX receives a wide range of chassis enhancements, ranging from a drive-by-wire throttle system, computer-controlled vehicle stability system, a more rigid body structure and improvements to suspension settings and steering that should translate into a softer ride and more precise handling.
"Cockpit changes include rain-sensing windshield wipers, an improved satellite navigation system - including a rearview camera when backing up - and an optional rear-seat DVD entertainment system.
"Outside, the 2003 MDX will look almost identical to last year's model, with changes only to the design of the alloy wheels, rear mud guards and three new color choices - Midnight Blue Pearl, Sage Brush Pearl, and Sandstone Metallic."

That's a whole lot of "specifics." Makes one think it may be true.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Lets hope this is all true, and the new transmission is devoid of the problems that RobSJ has been pointing out.

I somehow have the feeling that it will be true!!!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hey MDX350......

MDX350 said:
Lets hope this is all true, and the new transmission is devoid of the problems that RobSJ has been pointing out.

I somehow have the feeling that it will be true!!!
.......I have the exact same concern as you as I'm in the market to buy a '03 MDX......and regardless of what anyone on this board says, pulls stats or whatever, the sad truth is that Acura is definitely having major problems with their Transmissions on the TL and CL. Don't know if it's as prevelant on the MDX, however.

..........I tend to believe RobSJ because most of what he says, has so far made perfect sense (not taking into account some blanket statements concerning Honda Products etc.)....and more importantly they "add up" to what I've heard from elsewhere (many have complained about having the transmission replaced in their TLs and CLs - and in one or two instances they supposedly failed again, right after being replaced, which really gives me the jitters - and to add insult to injury, just last week my brother's 2002 TL-S transmission gave up the ghost at just a tick over 18,000 miles :mad: ) .........In light of all of this, the evidence is too overwhelming for this to be some sort of freak incidence leading me to believe there's some sort of design issue here with these new 5-speeds ...In fact, a couple of people I talked to said that they are especially susceptible to premature failure when driven hard because of a "durability" issue with the way it's designed.

Now, that it's confirmed in my mind that there's a problem here, my concern would be whether Acura is doing something to address this........It bothers me even more so because rumor has it that the 03' model will get the same "sport-shift" 5-speed as in the TL and CL

However, on another note, I read in a review (don't recall, but it was in someplace like Edmunds or Motor Trend) that "Honda transmissions were never really good, but this new 5-speed in the 2003 Accord is one of the best we've sampled....smooth shifting, precise and perfectly spaced"........Now, if we were to take a "clue" from here, I"m wondering if this means that Honda has addressed this issue.......I guess, we can only hope that this is the case.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Oh YEAH?!?

Well, MY fleetmanager told me I could have my MDX serviced by ANY Honda dealer!

Sure. Big agenda. It is the quintessential issue all organizations face with model changes: How to prevent the news of the new model from canabalizing the late model sales.

First rule I used to use: DO NOT tell your sales people ANYTHING.

:)

Ard

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Hey MDX350......

vicpai said:

when driven hard because of a "durability" issue with the way it's designed.

And what is driven hard? I purchased my MDX during warm weather in Palm Springs. Drove it relatively easy until it had 1000 miles on it.
Now have made 3 trips to the Central Valley with 90+ weather every time. No babying the car, usually maintaining 80 mph all the way.
Attacking Pacheco Pass with a vengance, pushing it hard enough it will
downshift into 4th or 3 rd for up 5000+ rpm shifts on the steepest grades. But not driving recklessly, but not slow at all.
Now with almost 5000 miles, it purrs like the day I bought it. No rattles, no squeaks, has a little more go, as things have broken in a bit, and the steering is taut but very smooth. I have given it every chance to fail prematurely. within reason. Within reason is not abusing it with power shifts, panic braking, or revving it hard with no load on it, or when the engine is cold. It might fail tomorrow, but as the miles pile up I have more confidence it will keep on truckin' for some time to come.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: Driven hard...

See, that's the thing. I doubt that there is ONE component or design characteristic that DOOMS the tranny BUT it may be that for the 'driven hard types' if there are 10 critical parts in the tranny and 1 of them is at the absolute tolerance limit or 4 of 'em are in the lowest quintile for "acceptable" then WHAMO BABY trans failure...

Extending this thinking, maybe the folks unluckey enough to have 10 out 10 of the 'critical' components in that unhappy 'lowest acceptable quintile' then MAYBE their tranny goes bye-bye even if they never push it REALLY hard...

Now maybe DaleB is one mean hombre when it comes to trannys (though honestly he seems typical to me ) AND he is lucky enough to have all 10 ( or whatever) critical compoment in the top quintile of tolerance - that tranny will last forever. :D

Sorry folks, that's just the way SQC works in the real world. Yeah, Honda could've build 'em beefier or tightend the specs {and made the suppliers eek out better components} (and I do agree with Vic that they MAY be doing just that with the 'all new' tranny), but it SEEMS likely that a cost/benefit analysis for the OLD tranny vs NEW was just too late in getting done. Heck, the Oddy's old 4speed had way more problems than Honda expected, maybe Honda needs to hire MEANER engineers and testers :D

Even though not all of us here consider the MDX a "truck" apparently a signficant number of folks do -- and like others have noted the trannys in"real trucks" are tough sumb%tches...

DaleB said:

And what is driven hard? I purchased my MDX during warm weather in Palm Springs. Drove it relatively easy until it had 1000 miles on it.
Now have made 3 trips to the Central Valley with 90+ weather every time. No babying the car, usually maintaining 80 mph all the way.
Attacking Pacheco Pass with a vengance, pushing it hard enough it will
downshift into 4th or 3 rd for up 5000+ rpm shifts on the steepest grades. But not driving recklessly, but not slow at all.
Now with almost 5000 miles, it purrs like the day I bought it. No rattles, no squeaks, has a little more go, as things have broken in a bit, and the steering is taut but very smooth. I have given it every chance to fail prematurely. within reason. Within reason is not abusing it with power shifts, panic braking, or revving it hard with no load on it, or when the engine is cold. It might fail tomorrow, but as the miles pile up I have more confidence it will keep on truckin' for some time to come.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Shortsightedness if the nemesis of reliable transporation

SQC is a good way to look at it, and tighter acceptance limits is one way to offset the consequences of a buildup of tolerances, at the price of more rejections at the factory. Sometimes I think those rejects would be easier to handle than having customers come back. But there is trade-off there somewhere, one that would be unacceptable on commercial aircraft (thank goodness!). It's tougher to bring those back.......
The ABS systems of automobiles are not simple assemblies either, and rarely fail, but do have a default of normal braking.
Brakes like steering assemblies, involve the overriding factor of product liability which overrides MOST concerns of profit margin.
Everything else is figured to the point as how to piss off the conusmer the least, keep production costs low, and avoid law suits. And keep that all in conformance with a warranty that should also be profit motivated. It's no easy task. Having enough foresight to be concerned about keeping the same customers for their next vehicle is a mark of a quality manufacturer in my opinion and will balance those decisions in our favor, and the long term profits will pay off for the automaker.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts