Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New to the MDX-picked up a '16 tech in White in June. Got over 6000 miles on it now.

Anyway, I opted to install the remote start myself but had the windows tinted at a good, 3M shop here in York PA. I went with 20% all around, right on top of the factory tint. Yes, it's flippin dark.
One thing I didn't think of was the auto dimming side mirrors. Since they dim, and the windows are dark, it's tough to see to change lanes. Heck it's tough to navigate a dark parking lot since the headlights focus forward much more than to the side.

Does anyone know what the auto dim is tied to, how to reprogram or defeat it?

Thanks-
Brian

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey guys. New to the MDX-picked up a '16 tech in White in June. Got over 6000 miles on it now.

Anyway, I opted to install the remote start myself but had the windows tinted at a good, 3M shop here in York PA. I went with 20% all around, right on top of the factory tint. Yes, it's flippin dark.
One thing I didn't think of was the auto dimming side mirrors. Since they dim, and the windows are dark, it's tough to see to change lanes. Heck it's tough to navigate a dark parking lot since the headlights focus forward much more than to the side.

Does anyone know what the auto dim is tied to, how to reprogram or defeat it?
Honestly - from my experience with others cars that I've owned/rented - you may need to replace with the non-auto-dim versions from a Tech or Base.

Based on my other cars, I think it's linked to one of the following:

1. The auto-dim interior mirror
2. Light sensor in the mirror (a la BMW)
3. Headlights (default to low dim and can adjust up/down based on #1/#2)

My 2011 BMW had a *severe* dim setting (their choice, not mine). And I had 30% tint.

Thinking I was smart, I went with 35% on my 2013, and, wouldn't you know it, the dim is a lot lower...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
it's tough to navigate a dark parking lot
I don't know the answer to your question (I have a 2014 with non-dimming side mirrors) but if the mirror itself has an independent light sensor you may be able to cover that sensor but it may be tied to something like the interior mirror, as lindros2 stated, in which case you'd need to disable the dimming there. I checked my 2014 owner's manual but couldn't find a way to disable the interior mirror's dimming, which strikes me as odd, but a piece of electrical tape over the sensor might work but it'll look goofy. Check the 2016 manual because this area may have changed.

Regarding what I quoted above, if I was you I'd really be concerned about that level of tint and personally I'd probably remove the extra tint from the front windows. You're sacrificing safety and driveability for a 'look' of having extra dark tinted windows. They already have a tint and this extra tinting sounds as if it's simply too much. Removing the front window tint should solve the safety issues, parking issues, nighttime visibility issues, and the side mirror issues, and it likely wouldn't cost much and I assume you could do it yourself easily enough.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My how taste differs. I spent a fortune on another car on some German material that practically eliminates the heat and nobody has ever noticed it has tint. Have you searched the pdf download of your manual on words like "dimming"? I would try for you but have a different model.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Note that the 2016 has a new interior mirror - they changed the sensor to be embedded or inline instead of below. Other manufacturers use it as well.

With all of that said, the mirrors on my other car dim based on a separate interior light sensor embedded in the instrument/gauge cluster binnacle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I belong to a fire department in western PA and we recently took delivery of a 2015 Tahoe that was unfitted with a command package. The truck had very tinted windows in the front and the police department had us remove the tint (I am thinking it came from the factory like this ..).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
(legal in PA) - Nope! Not at all!
Given your first post it sounds like there's a good reason why it's not legal in PA - because of safety concerns.

Have you decided what to do with this? Will you have it removed? I'm curious why you want it so darkly tinted in the first place - is it just for the appearance of it or did it simply come out way darker than you expected?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Since it's not legal in PA,why would a legitimate business openly break the law? Personally I don't see the value in coolness as opposed to actually being able see out of the car. Also,even though I am not in law enforcement,I feel for cops who have to approach a car where they can't see inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given your first post it sounds like there's a good reason why it's not legal in PA - because of safety concerns.

Have you decided what to do with this? Will you have it removed? I'm curious why you want it so darkly tinted in the first place - is it just for the appearance of it or did it simply come out way darker than you expected?

Well, it isn't illegal in all places, just PA. Surely the same amount of tint can't be 'safe' in Florida, or even Virginia, but unsafe just because we are in Pennsylvania... I think the reason it is illegal in PA is the safety of the police or something like that. My opinion-personal opinion-screw that. My safety, and the safety of my family contained within, far outweighs the perceived safety of a cop that pulls me over. To that topic, if I get stopped in any of my cars, the first thing I do is drop all windows and turn on the interior lights if it's dark.
My wife drives the car and frequently has our young kids inside. Call me paranoid but I'm more worried about being car jacked than pulled over...and I wouldn't want to have to go all 'Taken' on a jacker! Haha. Seriously though, I'm worried about being robbed in the car.

All that said, it did turn out quite a bit darker than I expected. I'm going to let it go a few more months-to the dark time here in the north (leave for work and come home in the dark) and see if it is intolerable.

Btw they're allowed to install it, you're just not allowed to drive a car that has it on the windows. Technically, we can't do any tint in PA except for what came factory-especially on the front windows. It's a stupid law in my opinion and one, like speed limits, that I interpret in my own way!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Well, it isn't illegal in all places, just PA. Surely the same amount of tint can't be 'safe' in Florida, or even Virginia, but unsafe just because we are in Pennsylvania... I think the reason it is illegal in PA is the safety of the police or something like that. My opinion-personal opinion-screw that. My safety, and the safety of my family contained within, far outweighs the perceived safety of a cop that pulls me over. To that topic, if I get stopped in any of my cars, the first thing I do is drop all windows and turn on the interior lights if it's dark.
My wife drives the car and frequently has our young kids inside. Call me paranoid but I'm more worried about being car jacked than pulled over...and I wouldn't want to have to go all 'Taken' on a jacker! Haha. Seriously though, I'm worried about being robbed in the car.

All that said, it did turn out quite a bit darker than I expected. I'm going to let it go a few more months-to the dark time here in the north (leave for work and come home in the dark) and see if it is intolerable.

Btw they're allowed to install it, you're just not allowed to drive a car that has it on the windows. Technically, we can't do any tint in PA except for what came factory-especially on the front windows. It's a stupid law in my opinion and one, like speed limits, that I interpret in my own way!
I hope we all don't decide which laws we choose to obey. It would be chaos.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Well, it isn't illegal in all places, just PA. Surely the same amount of tint can't be 'safe' in Florida, or even Virginia, but unsafe just because we are in Pennsylvania... I think the reason it is illegal in PA is the safety of the police or something like that.
Lots of states have various tinting laws so this isn't just PA. This could cause you some issues if you drive the vehicle to other states.

I can understand the safety of the cop perspective - i.e. walking up to a darkened window and it's good you're mitigating that by opening the windows if you get pulled over. I do something similar by keeping my hands on the wheel rather than rummaging around. OTOH - the law apparently only pertains to the front windows and it's always possible the bad guy with the gun is in the back seat of the vehicle behind heavily tinted windows or even in the back of a van with no windows back there so they always are exposed to some danger.

Depending on where your wife drives the realistic odds of her being in some danger from a stalker because of someone happening to be able to see her somewhat through the driver's window are very minimal - minuscule. Carjacking will occur whether the window has tint or not and regardless of who's driving. A carjacker wants the car - not the driver. I'd be more concerned that because of the tint my wife with my kids in the car got in an accident, had to stop, and had to deal with an irate random person. The odds of that happening are far greater than the stalker/carjacker possibility.

Regardless of the laws, my biggest concern as a driver would be the lack of visibility and potential for accidents as a result - possibly even hitting a kid.

And regardless of the laws and potential accident issues, it would personally bug me if the visibility was less than reasonable for me. That'd bug me every time I drove the car in the dark and would be enough to undo what I did.

At least it sounds like you're doing this for some reasons other than just the 'look' of the tinting - it just seems that the safety actually went down rather than up as a result.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you tint your windows darker than what is legal, and later get into an accident where it can be argued that your diminished visibility was a contributing factor, your insurance will bail on you and you will be stuck with 100% of the liability for damage and/injury you cause. It's pretty risky, IMO.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My how taste differs. I spent a fortune on another car on some German material that practically eliminates the heat and nobody has ever noticed it has tint. Have you searched the pdf download of your manual on words like "dimming"? I would try for you but have a different model.
what is the name of this product?

I thought I saw something on youtube where it's a translucent films that you can apply on the side windows and even the front windshield. blocks UV rays which help with visibility during bright sunny days, limit hit that is generated in the car by the sun a-la cooking your dash, and it protects the dash from UV damage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One that I have read about is 3M's Crystalline films. They block IR, which is most of the heat. I believe they claim a 60% reduction in heat transfer. They are nearly clear, too. I don't know how much UV they stop, but doesn't the glass filter out nearly UV anyway? I think the plastics for dashboards, etc., have overcome any UV sensitivities--I haven't seen a newer dash with the damage we used to see all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts