Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our way home from Orient Point, LI, a deer crossed the road that were traveling on. Hit the deer head on. Wish I had a BULLBAR on. Here are some pics...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another one

stupid deer ruined our 3 month old MDX!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pic # 3

No major damage. Radiator, condenser, upper tie bar, both fans, some hoses, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
@&*#^@ Deer!

Bummer, NaNaLi :sad: - we've been seeing deer almost every day now, and have become closely aquainted with two of them in the past 5 years. They're a real plague, and too darn many (and they're DUMB).

Hope your MDX gets fixed real soon, and that you at least got to take home a bit of venison!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Top view

Heres a pic from the top view

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hurts to much....

Trying to see what option to take.
1. Have a body shop colr match the bumper skin (not sure how will that turn out) and repair everything

OR

2. Order everything from Tim and have a local body shop put everything together. Figure since Tim has been painting mdx body parts for all of us, he sure'll be the first person to have a perfect color match.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Cant you heat, with a heat gun the bumper slightly to soften it then push it. What have you got to lose and just order the chrome trim piece to replace where the Acura insignia is?

Just curious do those ultrasonic thingamabob really work? the stick on ones?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
That's too bad...certainly the damage isn't as bad as it could have been. BTW, I could swear the bumper assembly comes painted from the factory...prolly less $ to buy it via Tim that way and have the shop/dealer install it, assuming no other damage (labor savings). Certainly preferable to banging out dents and trying to color match.

Your story reminds me of a Thanksgiving trip from upstate NY down to Cape Cod w/a bunch of friends...daytime, we were on a tree-lined 2-laner, somewhere near Binghamton, following our friend's Integra @ about 45mph. A deer came bolting into the road from the trees, and the Integra clipped the deer's legs straight on.

The deer was launched into the air -- I swear it was a good 10-15 feet -- and did a backflip/sideflip as it drifted over to the opposite lanes. :eek:

As it was approaching earth, maybe 5 feet from the ground, it got WHACKED broadside by the grill on the approaching 18-wheeler
, and launched another 25 feet or so -- horizontally this time -- into some abandoned parking lot.

The 18-wheeler just kept going :rolleyes: but we pulled over to survey our buddy's damage. His hood had but a minor dent, and the impact did rip one of the wipers clean off. We called the police via cellphone to come out and take a report for his insurance.

While we're waiting for the police, a car pulls up containing three hillbillies straight out of Deliverance
, each with a shotgun sitting on his lap :13:.

The front passenger leans out of the car and yells "Heyyyyy youuuuuu. Youuuuuuu gonna keep that there deeeer? It's yern fer the takin'".

We're all looking at each other :8: and them :8:.

"It's yern, since it's yer rightfullllll killll. If you ain't gonna tek it, wi'll tek it with yer per-mish-un! That there is good eats!" They pop the trunk with their handy screwdriver, heave the deer into it, and drive off into the sunset. :1:

OK, back to regular programming...

·
Registered
747 Posts
TheWorm said:
"It's yern, since it's yer rightfullllll killll. If you ain't gonna tek it, wi'll tek it with yer per-mish-un! That there is good eats!" They pop the trunk with their handy screwdriver, heave the deer into it, and drive off into the sunset. :1:

:19:

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I'm thinking that bumper may be repairable, judging by the way it looks, the absorber underneath took a good hit but the front of the X looks basically intact. Let me know what the estimator says.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:( Sorry ,what a tough break. I have the deer whistles install in the grill on my X and they do work. There is not a day that goes by that we do not encounter deer on the roads around our home. They will stop and turn there heads in the direction of the vehcile , then move off in the opposite direction. I guest they work like a dog whistle , but in reverse. You can purchase the whistle's at your local auto supply house.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Robyjo said:
And the great thing is, it's already been tenderized!

Jazz, interesting comment on the deer whistles, I've always wondered if they actually worked. I might try a set, they're only a couple bucks (sorry... :rolleyes: )

Drove by a pair of deer 10 yards off the highway this morning - ...dumb...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
That's really unfortunate. The fortunate thing is that no one was hurt. My brother hit a deer a few years ago with an Eagle Talon. The deer smashed the hood, and cracked the windshield. They heard many stories in the Chicago area of cars hitting male deers and then the antlers crushing in through the windshield and killing the driver or passenger :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Another one

NaNaLi said:
stupid deer ruined our 3 month old MDX!!!
Bummer, NaNaLi :sad: - we've been seeing deer almost every day now, and have become closely aquainted with two of them in the past 5 years. They're a real plague, and too darn many (and they're DUMB).

Crazy me-- I thought that MDX purchasers were generally well educated, respectable people. Your MDX is repairable (and, with insurance, probably at little cost). Your loss is insignificant compared to the fact that another animal suffered great pain and died.

Too many deer?? Just seems that way because we drove them out to the streets by cutting down the forests. I'm not a preservationist, environmentalist or vegetarian by any means, but I recognize the realities and costs of developments, including run-ins with deer. At least we generally survive and are protected by 4000 pounds of sheetmetal etc.

And dumb? I'd bet that a deer could score higher on the SATs than any of those hillbillies that The Worm mentioned.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hopefully, you popped it into first gear to engage all four wheels and ran over it again as punishment (as if it was punished enough by getting hit by a 240hp MDX). Luckly, there was no major damage and your baby will be back to new in no time.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

JPOW

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Re: Re: Another one

MD MDX said:

Crazy me-- I thought that MDX purchasers were generally well educated, respectable people. Your MDX is repairable (and, with insurance, probably at little cost). Your loss is insignificant compared to the fact that another animal suffered great pain and died.

Too many deer?? Just seems that way because we drove them out to the streets by cutting down the forests. I'm not a preservationist, environmentalist or vegetarian by any means, but I recognize the realities and costs of developments, including run-ins with deer. At least we generally survive and are protected by 4000 pounds of sheetmetal etc.

And dumb? I'd bet that a deer could score higher on the SATs than any of those hillbillies that The Worm mentioned.
I'm relatively well-educated, although most folks would draw the line at respectable. What you say is probably true in urban areas, but in our forested parts of the country, deer densities are far above their carrying capacity because we maintain our forests in younger age classes (i.e. we clearcut a lot of aspen), which provide an unnaturally high level of forage. Couple that with a reduction in the numbers of native predators (grey wolf up here), and you find that deer cause a tremendous amount of damage to native ecosystems: for example, they've virtually extirpated Taxus (Canada Yew) from the landscape, and make it nearly impossible to regenerate white pine, a dominant species of the presettlement forest.

The high densities of deer are partly responsible for the chronic wasting disease currently spreading through Wisconsin, resulting in the DNR's recommendation of a wholesale slaughter of 15,000 deer in a concentrated area.

And they are tough on automobiles, and vice versa. Deer are fine in reasonable densities - we are just way out of balance, mostly because of our love of paper products (most aspen goes to pulp, not sawtimber).

And watch what you say about cousin Bubba, and his sister/spouse Daisy-Mae!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Re: Another one

MD MDX said:
I'd bet that a deer could score higher on the SATs than any of those hillbillies that The Worm mentioned.
Only if the College Board isn't gonna dole out points for dad and uncle being the same person ;)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Another one

ghost said:
...extirpated...
Word of the Day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts