Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying either a 2006 Black/Black MDX Touring Navi RES 164K for $5,500 or a 2008 Sterling Gray/Black MDX Tech 183K for $7,000.

Both have newer tires and are in really good condition especially considering the mileage (which does scare me some but based on how many miles many of you have on yours, maybe not).
The 2006 appears to have no major issues and was taken care of. Timing Belt and water pump done at 99k. Being sold by second owner.

The 2008 needs some leather work done on the driver seat/center console. The rear seats are a little stained from having car seats on them and need to be freshened up. Was bought and traded in at same dealership and appears to have been serviced there but they will not give me any info unless I own the car. Currently the MDX is at a buy here lot.

Anyone have some insight on the 1st and 2nd gen and what you would do????

Thank you in advance!!!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
For that price do not hesitate, the 2G is a whole different animal...
BUT as always a used vehicle is no warranty of anything, If you do pull the trigger and something comes up you should be prepared to blame the previous owner and not the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got service records for both vehicles. The 2008 was dealer maintained and serviced. Just got new brakes all around and has 20k on the tires.
The 2006 has good service records as well. Cant tell when tires were done or other major service other than oil changes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I own both a first generation (2004) and a second generation (2008) MDX. Both are awesome cars. In your case the 2006 has some improvements over my 2004 namely bluetooth integration and some mild refreshing on the navigation.
Having said all that one of the weaknesses of the 2006 would be the reliance of the navi unit for your fan speed/temp control/outside temps/A/C control etc. if the navi unit dies you lose a lot of funcfionality.
Do you have kids? If so I cannot overstate how appreciated the RES unit is as a parent. The RES is better in the 08 but it sounds like the 08 in your case does not have it but the 06 RES is still decent
Any rust on either car? Look carefully. The 1G MDXes have these dumb rear wheel well rubber strips that trap water and salt and stuff and enable rust formation.
The tech stuff in an 08 is impressive and the sound system is better.
In my opinion second row seating is better in the 2006 space wise.
Knowing the timing belt has been done in the 2006 is HUGE. It also shows the owner took car of thd car if he/she changed it right around the mileage it should be done. Without that confirmation on the 2008 that is a big risk. As for leather and carseats, I have kids and it does happen. My Volvo leather got ruined that way but i got car seat mats for both my MDXes. Leather condition is not as important to me in the scheme of things
I dont get why they cant at least confirm whether major work like the timing belt has been done on the 2008. They cant give you the service records but surely if they know the info and it is a big piece of info they can at least give you a yes/no answer
Some other stuff: the 2006 you are considering would likely not have any of the transmission issues that plagued the earlier first generation MDXes 2001-2003). But the 2008s are part of the early second generation 2007-2009) which are susceptible to the failing hands free units (HFL) that cause battery drain.
The voice recognition in the 2008 is far superior than the first generation. The seats in the 2008 are more comfortable than in the first generation in my opionion.
Check to see if the heated seats in the 2006 actually work. A number of the seat elements on the earlier gen get burnt out. The second generation uses 18" wheels by default
One of the biggest differences is the all wheel drive in the second generation is far superior than the first generation. That to me is a big consideration due to the Canadian weathers. The 2008 also has a slightly more powerful engine.
I cant presume to know your needs or your situation but based on the information provided I feel they are both overpriced based on the mileage. If you have no way of validating timing belt on the 2008 i would not get it. Even if it was done at 105k miles you are coming up on a second replacement soon based on mileage
I would consider a high mileage car if i am certain of the history which shows the previous owner did all the maintenance. And those records also show any issues that may have popped up
So for me, if I had no service info on the 2008 with that many miles but i know timing belt done on 2006 and i have records that show it was serviced regularly and because i have kids who like the RES I personally would choose the 2006 if I HAD to choose between them. In my case both my cars were taken care of well and i have seen and have validated the work done nut my 2008 has significantly lower kilometers and the body and interior are in fantastic shape. It was cared for well and in my view is i better car than my 2004. But thats with all the info going in. If i did not know the background and history of a car i would be very hesitant to consider it much less buy it
Ultimately you can test drive both and see for yourself. The 2008 is a better driving experience. But knowing no info on your 2008 would make me hesitant to get it. Plus the mileage is equivalent to something like 294,000 kilometers which is a tad too high for my liking unless you have absolute confirmation that it has been regularly and properly serviced
The navigation in the 2008 uses a wheel whereas rhe 2006 uses a touchscreen. Both navigation interfaces look dates in terms of the maps and at least in Canada the 2008 does not have a live traffic option.
The bluetooth in the 2008 and 2006 are for calls only. You cannot do music streaming. I have aftermarket kits that i have put in for mine replacing the functionality of the cd changer in the first gen and replacing the xm functionality in the second gen
Speaking of cd changer my first gen cd changed is under the drivers seat with the single disc player in dash but my second gen cd changed is in dash
Cabin filters easier to change in the 2008
Trunk storage decent in both
Fuel economy about the same in both based on my experience.
2008 has significantly more customizations you can do to the settings of the car. When things lock, when lights come on, time intervals for this or that. All can be set up easily.
I like the coffee cup holders and positioning better in the first gen. And the usb charger port in front is better placed and my coin storage can close. With the 2008 with my usb charger in i cant close the coin tray
The wood trim looks better on the 2008. For me in Canada heated seats in back are standard so my daughter loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW!!! THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THAT INFO!

I have kids but they have their Ipads...I don't even think I have a DVD anywhere.

The 2008 was dealer maintained. Has basically all the services records. 100,500 miles Timing belt changed, 160,000 miles New tires, 180,000 new brakes all around. Regular oil changes at dealership and then they traded it in.

The miles scare me big time.... but I might only need the car for 6 months to a year.

I read a lot on the BT interface you (the Gazelle) installed and would be doing that immediately.

I'm in Florida and both of these cars are Florida cars so no rust to be found.

I own both a first generation (2004) and a second generation (2008) MDX. Both are awesome cars. In your case the 2006 has some improvements over my 2004 namely bluetooth integration and some mild refreshing on the navigation.
Having said all that one of the weaknesses of the 2006 would be the reliance of the navi unit for your fan speed/temp control/outside temps/A/C control etc. if the navi unit dies you lose a lot of funcfionality.
Do you have kids? If so I cannot overstate how appreciated the RES unit is as a parent. The RES is better in the 08 but it sounds like the 08 in your case does not have it but the 06 RES is still decent
Any rust on either car? Look carefully. The 1G MDXes have these dumb rear wheel well rubber strips that trap water and salt and stuff and enable rust formation.
The tech stuff in an 08 is impressive and the sound system is better.
In my opinion second row seating is better in the 2006 space wise.
Knowing the timing belt has been done in the 2006 is HUGE. It also shows the owner took car of thd car if he/she changed it right around the mileage it should be done. Without that confirmation on the 2008 that is a big risk. As for leather and carseats, I have kids and it does happen. My Volvo leather got ruined that way but i got car seat mats for both my MDXes. Leather condition is not as important to me in the scheme of things
I dont get why they cant at least confirm whether major work like the timing belt has been done on the 2008. They cant give you the service records but surely if they know the info and it is a big piece of info they can at least give you a yes/no answer
Some other stuff: the 2006 you are considering would likely not have any of the transmission issues that plagued the earlier first generation MDXes 2001-2003). But the 2008s are part of the early second generation 2007-2009) which are susceptible to the failing hands free units (HFL) that cause battery drain.
The voice recognition in the 2008 is far superior than the first generation. The seats in the 2008 are more comfortable than in the first generation in my opionion.
Check to see if the heated seats in the 2006 actually work. A number of the seat elements on the earlier gen get burnt out. The second generation uses 18" wheels by default
One of the biggest differences is the all wheel drive in the second generation is far superior than the first generation. That to me is a big consideration due to the Canadian weathers. The 2008 also has a slightly more powerful engine.
I cant presume to know your needs or your situation but based on the information provided I feel they are both overpriced based on the mileage. If you have no way of validating timing belt on the 2008 i would not get it. Even if it was done at 105k miles you are coming up on a second replacement soon based on mileage
I would consider a high mileage car if i am certain of the history which shows the previous owner did all the maintenance. And those records also show any issues that may have popped up
So for me, if I had no service info on the 2008 with that many miles but i know timing belt done on 2006 and i have records that show it was serviced regularly and because i have kids who like the RES I personally would choose the 2006 if I HAD to choose between them. In my case both my cars were taken care of well and i have seen and have validated the work done nut my 2008 has significantly lower kilometers and the body and interior are in fantastic shape. It was cared for well and in my view is i better car than my 2004. But thats with all the info going in. If i did not know the background and history of a car i would be very hesitant to consider it much less buy it
Ultimately you can test drive both and see for yourself. The 2008 is a better driving experience. But knowing no info on your 2008 would make me hesitant to get it. Plus the mileage is equivalent to something like 294,000 kilometers which is a tad too high for my liking unless you have absolute confirmation that it has been regularly and properly serviced
The navigation in the 2008 uses a wheel whereas rhe 2006 uses a touchscreen. Both navigation interfaces look dates in terms of the maps and at least in Canada the 2008 does not have a live traffic option.
The bluetooth in the 2008 and 2006 are for calls only. You cannot do music streaming. I have aftermarket kits that i have put in for mine replacing the functionality of the cd changer in the first gen and replacing the xm functionality in the second gen
Speaking of cd changer my first gen cd changed is under the drivers seat with the single disc player in dash but my second gen cd changed is in dash
Cabin filters easier to change in the 2008
Trunk storage decent in both
Fuel economy about the same in both based on my experience.
2008 has significantly more customizations you can do to the settings of the car. When things lock, when lights come on, time intervals for this or that. All can be set up easily.
I like the coffee cup holders and positioning better in the first gen. And the usb charger port in front is better placed and my coin storage can close. With the 2008 with my usb charger in i cant close the coin tray
The wood trim looks better on the 2008. For me in Canada heated seats in back are standard so my daughter loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
2G...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Although I prefer the styling of the 1st generation, the 2nd generation in my opinion the better vehicle. Given that both of them seem well-maintained and the mileage difference really isn't that drastic, I would opt for the 2008.

·
Registered
286 Posts
WOW!!! THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THAT INFO!

I have kids but they have their Ipads...I don't even think I have a DVD anywhere.

The 2008 was dealer maintained. Has basically all the services records. 100,500 miles Timing belt changed, 160,000 miles New tires, 180,000 new brakes all around. Regular oil changes at dealership and then they traded it in.

The miles scare me big time.... but I might only need the car for 6 months to a year.

I read a lot on the BT interface you (the Gazelle) installed and would be doing that immediately.

I'm in Florida and both of these cars are Florida cars so no rust to be found.
Based on this, that they got that timing belt changed on time and you verified it was dealer maintained, I would get the 2008 hands down. Does not seem like rust is an issue so even better. Still think the pricing could be better, but that is secondary compared to the maintenance. 294,000 kilometers...that is high but my Volvo lasted till 278,000 kilometers till all the problems started but Acuras/Hondas are significantly more reliable than a Volvo long term. My coworker has a Honda with over 325,000 KM and still going and well, you see the people here with high kilometer cars. But living in Florida takes the corrosion aspect out so that is a huge plus compared to our northern climates that affect our cars adversely.

If you need any help on the Bluetooth audio kit install for either the 2006 or 2008, let me know and I can walk you through it. My 9-year-old daughter installed the kits for both but the 2008 was significantly easier as it did not involve taking out the head unit. In fact, she got the kit installed 5-7 minutes (we had to get a different USA Spec kit as the one we originally bought is for a 2G MDX with Nav, but the Canadian models are different so we got it swapped out). If you get the 2008 and it has Nav and XM, get the BT45-ACU unit. It is lovely and fully integrates with your car's control's. I have the equivalent unit (BT45-HON3) but it has a different connector, that's all. Now I just have to get rid of those pesky XM ads - those are so annoying, especially on the dash. Just cheapens everything when passengers see on the XM dash "GREAT OFFER!" or "CALL 1-844-XXX-XXX NOW!"

So check to see when the fluids have last been changed - you want to check brake/transmission and especially the AWD/differential fluid changes. Those are even more important the longer you have the car.

Those miles gotta be highway miles. I can't see anyone having that many miles on a city car, but ya never know.

PS sorry for the bad sentence structure and spelling errors on my original response. I wrote that whole thing while lying sideways in my bed this morning when I woke up, on my cell phone, so please excuse the formatting and lack of subject structure and flow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE REPLYS.... you are definitely helping me out..

I wish it was maybe 1,000 cheaper for the 2008.. but for a 2008 with around 140k Miles they want over $10k as a base model This is the lowest and best maintained mdx for second gen I have seen at this price. I like the styling of the 1st gen as well, but this just looks modern, which I think will help for resale.

On paper the value of the 2008 is about $1,600 more than the $7k.. the 2006 is about $500 more than the $5,500.

I just hope as the car approaches the 200k miles mark that the resale does not sink like a brick.

·
Registered
286 Posts
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE REPLYS.... you are definitely helping me out..

I wish it was maybe 1,000 cheaper for the 2008.. but for a 2008 with around 140k Miles they want over $10k as a base model This is the lowest and best maintained mdx for second gen I have seen at this price. I like the styling of the 1st gen as well, but this just looks modern, which I think will help for resale.

On paper the value of the 2008 is about $1,600 more than the $7k.. the 2006 is about $500 more than the $5,500.

I just hope as the car approaches the 200k miles mark that the resale does not sink like a brick.
I totally agree with the assessment that the 2Gs look more modern. No one would mistake my 2004 for being a 2010+ car. But almost everyone who has seen my 2008 thinks it is 2013 or newer... The 2Gs do look more up to date and less of a boxy truck and more of a SUV/crossover type. I am very happy with my 2008, and will drive that thing into the ground, since it was so well maintained and it has 4 x brand new ADS shocks free from Acura...

If your kids have iPads, then the RES is out of the equation. And I agree for bang for the buck, the 2Gs are better in that respect, but make no mistake, there is nothing wrong with the 1G 2004/2005/2006 aside from just aesthetics that date the car, some older technology, etc and particularly some rust issues. I would take a 1G MDX over many, many, many cars any day of the week. But a well maintained 2G...well, that's an easy choice and I believe that is the consensus amongst those who have responded thus far, as well.

As for price, keep shopping for a base model with lower kilometers and better price. Just to give you a sense...my 2008 is in fantastic condition, is the NAVI/RES/SPORT/ELITE edition with everything including power tailgate...and it was dealer maintained, single owner and 117,000KM or 72,000 miles. I got it for $15,000 Cdn. (about $11,000 US), and that includes 4 x brand new ADS shocks, new brakes and rotors and new power steering pump. There is no way you should consider a base model for $10,000 US with 140,000 miles or 225,000 kilometers. There are better deals out there. Even before I bought this one, another one I was looking at was similar and it had 132,000 kilometers on it. Sometimes searching out of your city may yield some results that are favourable as well. Generally prices tend to be higher in warmer weather as well, but keep looking for at least a few weeks and don't settle on something on which you may not be 100% comfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gazelle, I'm not sure how you got that deal... those are no where to be found around here. According to Carfax and Black book the car should of been worth about $7500 for trade in... we will see.
Bought the 2008, will only have it for less than a year and hopefully will be able to get out of it without loosing too much. Will hopefully get a job that has a company car by the end of the year.

Let me ask you this. Does the 2nd gen really ride more like a sports car than the 1st gen? Its really a different type feel. The care hugs the road and can feel every bump. Shifts more like a manual and can feel the AWD.

Also when trying to make calls from my cell phone. I dial it from the phone and cannot get it to connect on the handsfree.... what is the trick to that?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Regardless of which you choose High Mileage on Honda Engines is nothing... If they have been well maintained you can go up to 500K without rebuilding them, There are more than a couple Million Miles Hondas in the wild.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Gazelle, I'm not sure how you got that deal... those are no where to be found around here. According to Carfax and Black book the car should of been worth about $7500 for trade in... we will see.
Bought the 2008, will only have it for less than a year and hopefully will be able to get out of it without loosing too much. Will hopefully get a job that has a company car by the end of the year.

Let me ask you this. Does the 2nd gen really ride more like a sports car than the 1st gen? Its really a different type feel. The care hugs the road and can feel every bump. Shifts more like a manual and can feel the AWD.

Also when trying to make calls from my cell phone. I dial it from the phone and cannot get it to connect on the handsfree.... what is the trick to that?
Yes, I got a pretty good deal, I would say. Just keep looking. In my case, many of the 15K (Cdn.) MDXes had at least 140,000 -150,000 kilometers on it. The fact that I found one with 117,000KM is great. The new brakes/rotors, power steering pump and ADS shocks were all done as part of the certification process for which the dealer assumed responsibility, so all that was included in the price, which is a significant bonus. I also went with a dealer outside the city, one small Mom and Pop place which only bought cars traded in at major dealerships, not via auctions. So they know all the history behind it....in my case, my MDX was single owner, no accident, always maintained at Acura dealership. I check around the Auto Trader now and then to see what MDXes sell for, and nothing comes close to the deal I got. So I guess I was in the right place in the right time.

As far as your phone and bluetooth and HFL...I just paired the phone and when calls come in it automatically switches to HFL, even with my USA Spec bluetooth audio streaming kit installed. Occasionally it doesn't do that and goes to iPhone (not sure why) and I just switch it. But 95% of the time it goes to HFL no problem for call and receive. Now...have you validated that your HFL actually works? I guess if you paired your phone the answer is yes. But some people have had battery drain issues and disconnected their HFL on their cars, so if you haven't paired it yet or have issues with that, check to make sure HFL is connected. Otherwise, I would have to let someone else chime in with technical advice.

As far as the ride for the 2008, it is subjective, so I won't interject too much here. I don't know what a sports car rides like so I can't offer much perspective. My BMW 3-series is much lower to the ground and handles incredibly but we're talking apples and oranges here. But between the 2004 and 2008, my 2008 has much better acceleration and has a quieter ride (in general) but that is due to a number of factors, some of which may not be directly correlated to the model year of the vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts