Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both in excellent condition, same tires, same general area of the country. (Utah)

1. 2010 Tech, 109k, $16k
2. 2011 Tech+Ent, 113k, $18k
3. 2010 Tech, 95k, $19k

I've never bought anything with over 80k miles, and almost all my cars have had problems around 110k

·
Registered
894 Posts
You just need to do additional due diligence. I personally would not buy unless you could review service records to ensure routinely maintained and no significant issues. Check Carfax as now, service records often show up. Also, from Carfax, I would avoid 3 owner vehicles that have been through multiple auctions.

My first MDX was a 2001 with 90k miles that I bought in about 2003 to see if I liked the vehicle (I had previously owned Yukons). Although at an independent car lot, it had been serviced at the Acura dealer and the dealer let me review the file. I drove the 01 for a couple of years and about 40-50k miles, then traded it for a used 05 MDX.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Personally, I think option 1 or 3 would be my choices. What would determine it for me would be service history and where they are from. If any of those are from salt states I would dismiss them.

If your budget is able to go up around $22k-$23k then you can get something in the 60k mile range most likely. Think about how many additional years of use that will give you and if the difference in cost is worth it to you.

I was in a similar boat, I almost bought a 2011 Tech at 94k miles for $19k, then I found a 2012 Tech with 53k miles at $23.5K. An extra 3-4 years of life for $4.5k seemed worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The 100,000 mile service is due around that mileage (spark plugs, antifreeze, valve adjustment, belt, etc...). That can cost around $700-$1200 depending on the dealership. Having the complete service records might save more $$ if this service was already done. Mileage wise, they are pretty much in the same ball park. Depends on color and interior/exterior condition if the service records check out.

The only advantage with the Ent MDX is the rear heated seats. I only used my Ent 2-3 times in 3 years compared to using my iPad mini every road trip.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only thing I would say is the prices seem a bit high, but maybe not for your area. We just picked up a '12 with Tech & Entertainment for $20k; it has 79k on the odometer. The dealership had the service records, which showed regular service; and we had it checked out by an independent mechanic. He said that it looked great, but would need the timing belt/water pump change at around 105k. Since my wife drives - I kid you not - around 6k/year, that's actually four years in the offing for us.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only thing I would say is the prices seem a bit high, but maybe not for your area. We just picked up a '12 with Tech & Entertainment for $20k; it has 79k on the odometer. The dealership had the service records, which showed regular service; and we had it checked out by an independent mechanic. He said that it looked great, but would need the timing belt/water pump change at around 105k. Since my wife drives - I kid you not - around 6k/year, that's actually four years in the offing for us.
Off-topic, but do you ride a Colnago? Which one? My wife has one and I've always been a bit jealous.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Off-topic, but do you ride a Colnago? Which one? My wife has one and I've always been a bit jealous.
I did . . . once . . . long ago. I can't remember the specific model, but it was gorgeous. Steel frame; Shimano Ultegra components. Now instead of once really nice road bike I have three pretty nice bikes (road - Fuji; mountain - Santa Cruz; commuter/city - Kona).

OP - sorry for the threadjack. 0:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did . . . once . . . long ago. I can't remember the specific model, but it was gorgeous. Steel frame; Shimano Ultegra components. Now instead of once really nice road bike I have three pretty nice bikes (road - Fuji; mountain - Santa Cruz; commuter/city - Kona).

OP - sorry for the threadjack. 0:)
Nice, yeah, I could totally go for a steel Colnago myself. It would always have a place in the quiver and would get used for long rides for me. Save the carbon fanciness for the short fast rides/races.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts